US Politics: the Moore things change...

Kalbear

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Not sure how it works. I think the filing period is over in Texas.

It is, but there are five Republicans who filed to run. https://ballotpedia.org/Texas'_27th_Congressional_District

It looks like three are complete no-names, one is former local official, and the fifth is Bech Bruun who resigned as chairman of the Texas Water Development Board to primary Farenthold. Maybe one of the four becomes a grassroots darling, but Bruun is a real candidate and will likely easily take the nomination. And that district is red enough that the likely coming Democratic wave would need to truly extraordinary to take it.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Democrats should work with Republicans on infrastructure. And demand that the only way they’ll accept paying for it is by raising taxes on billionaires by 5%. Troll them right back.

I think they should  just be like look dudes, a few years back we had a great opportunity to do infrastructure. But, you chose to believe in Say's Law.

But, anyway, there isn't a good reason to support your little plutocrat alt right regime you are running here and that's assuming your infrastructure plan wasn't a real piece of crap, which it is.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Let’s never forget that both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were being investigated by the FBI during the campaign. They only publicly screwed over Clinton, even though they could have destroyed Trump.

I thought I heard that Comey only went public about re-opening the Clinton investigation because Jason Chaffetz was about to leak it.

That being said, not nearly enough has been made of the anti-Clinton activities of the New York City field office of the FBI and their gleeful information-sharing with Rudy Giuliani. 

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That's what gets to me. Not only that but Trump's own public reasoning for firing Comey (outside of the whole Russia thing) was that he screwed over Clinton. 

Not sure how it works. I think the filing period is over in Texas.

It’s all a bunch of nonsense and any reasonable person with a brain can see it. It’s just this country lacks enough reasonable people with brains who pay attention to current affairs. For example, all of my bosses take pride in not watching the news and following current affairs. I’m 29. They’re 45-70. But I guess us millennials are the problem…..

As far as Texas election laws go, good god is their website out of date. Alabama’s website was easy to access and find the sections you needed. Texas just has a bunch of PDFs that are poorly labeled. Probably done be design.

On Farenthold, I’d bet that he ends up resigning sooner than later. He is of little value and Republicans will eventually sacrifice him to say they’re standing up to sexual harassment too and government abuse of tax payers’ money.

National Review’s David French seemingly tries to do the “hey guys, it’s both sides” argument.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/14/16772740/roy-moore-steve-bannon-alabama-election

To French, a great deal of that headache is on Steve Bannon himself and his purported political “genius”: running extremist candidates on a supposedly Trumpian platform.

“Both of our great political parties accumulate around them more than their share of grifters, frauds, cranks and fools,” he told me.

Except one side attracts more than its fair share of buffoons, clowns, fraudsters, cranks, and idiots.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I thought I heard that Comey only went public about re-opening the Clinton investigation because Jason Chaffetz was about to leak it.

That being said, not nearly enough has been made of the anti-Clinton activities of the New York City field office of the FBI and their gleeful information-sharing with Rudy Giuliani. 

It was a confluence of factors. By publicly closing the investigation and telling Congress he'd let them know of any changes, he was obligated to let Congress know that circumstances had changed. His hand was forced because he was afraid agents in the NYO were going to leak that he was looking into a new batch of emails and it'd make it look like he's lying to cover for Clinton. So he sent the letter to Chaffetz who then promptly leaked it.

As for the NYO, I believe those leaks are under the scope of the IG report. I wonder what text messages they managed to get for that.

At times, I can’t decide if Paul “Serious Conservative Policy Wonk Guy” Ryan is just a plain old idiot or a huckster.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/paul-ryan-embraces-ridiculous-treasury-analysis-gop-tax-plan

t’s against this backdrop that House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said how impressed he was with the Treasury Department’s findings.

U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday defended a one-page analysis by the Treasury Department that asserted a tax plan pushed by the Republican-led Congress would pay for itself in 10 years.

“I think that estimate makes a lot of sense. … I do believe the Treasury when they say that this is going to unleash a lot of economic growth, which will accrue more revenues,” Ryan told reporters.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Just to highlight how ridiculous the GOP's push against Mueller is... good thread below.

No, their tune is the same as it ever was. If you're useful to us, you're a stand-up guy. If you're causing us a problem, you're scum. 

35 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I think they should  just be like look dudes, a few years back we had a great opportunity to do infrastructure. But, you chose to believe in Say's Law.

But, anyway, there isn't a good reason to support your little plutocrat alt right regime you are running here and that's assuming your infrastructure plan wasn't a real piece of crap, which it is.

On Say’s Law, is that specific to the work force or just a general principle? Because if it’s the latter it would seem rather silly.

As for infrastructure, that’s kind of the point. Push back with a popular plan against the Republican plan which is almost assured to be another give away to the rich. Ever met a person who likes toll booths?

45 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Mex covered it well. The only thing I’d add is that it was offensive how it went down. They had the “new” emails for weeks and sat on them, then notified Congress and began investigating them. If you look at the timeline between when Comey notified Congress and when he recleared Clinton, they could have easily gone through them by then and there would have been no need to kick start this mess.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mex covered it well. The only thing I’d add is that it was offensive how it went down. They had the “new” emails for weeks and sat on them, then notified Congress and began investigating them. If you look at the timeline between when Comey notified Congress and when he recleared Clinton, they could have easily gone through them by then and there would have been no need to kick start this mess.

NYO had them for weeks. I don't think Comey had been informed until shortly before he sent the letter to Congress.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

On Say’s Law, is that specific to the work force or just a general principle? Because if it’s the latter it would seem rather silly.

It's a principle of general equilibrium. Now Says law has many interpretations,  but it's often thought of supply creates it's own demand, so the idea there can be a general glut doesn't hold. And when I say a general glut it applies to several markets to include the labor market, the consumer's good market, and the capital services market. All these markets are interrelated. I mock Republicans because many of their arguments over the last few years, whether they know it or not, were some variety of Says Law. Plus there is David Brooks invoking it recently, so I can't help but continue mocking it. Back several years ago when interest rates were very low, meaning there was a general glut, it would have been a very good time to do infrastructure. But, now suddenly, when the case isn't as strong, Trump and Republicans are interested in doing it.

And as I stated in a recent post, Hayek's business cycle theory was Say's Law basically with money thrown in somewhere, as allegedly the over supply of labor in the capital goods market would be balanced by the demand for labor on the consumer producing goods market. But, the Great Depression (as was the Great Recession) was very a much a general glut meaning their was insufficient demand for labor on both markets (and on the commodities markets too.).

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

NYO had them for weeks. I don't think Comey had been informed until shortly before he sent the letter to Congress.

That would be a further incentive to clean house, if true. I am now demanding another special counsel to investigate this nonsense! Do you hear me Alabama Elf?????

43 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

It's a principle of general equilibrium. Now Says law has many interpretations,  but it's often thought of supply creates it's own demand, so the idea there can be a general glut doesn't hold. And when I say a general glut it applies to several markets to include the labor market, the consumer's good market, and the capital services market. All these markets are interrelated. I mock Republicans because many of their arguments over the last few years, whether they know it or not, were some variety of Says Law. Plus there is David Brooks invoking it recently, so I can't help but continue mocking it. Back several years ago when interest rates were very low, meaning there was a general glut, it would have been a very good time to do infrastructure. But, now suddenly, when the case isn't as strong, Trump and Republicans are interested in doing it.

And as I stated in a recent post, Hayek's business cycle theory was Say's Law basically with money thrown in somewhere, as allegedly the over supply of labor in the capital goods market would be balanced by the demand for labor on the consumer producing goods market. But, the Great Depression (as was the Great Recession) was very a much a general glut meaning their was insufficient demand for labor on both markets (and on the commodities markets too.).

So yes on silly idea? I don’t believe supply can create demand unless the demand already exists.

Archived