US Politics: the Moore things change...

Kalbear

1 minute ago, denstorebog said:

NYTimes now predicts 67% chance of a Jones win. With Moore clearly in the lead in counted votes. So a huge blue vote dump is incoming.

Nate Cohn was saying turnout was down lower than expected in some GOP rural counties. Wonder if that holds.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

All I know is the Times better be pretty damn sure if they're publishing the results of a prediction model again, after the presidential election. Why would they even bother?

To be fair, their prediction model for the presidential election was based on polls prior to the election. Their model on the day is different. That's based on turnout, benchmarks, etc.

That's why their model has Jones winning right now; turnout is down from their expectations in rural GOP counties. It could swing when Dem counties come in.

5 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I'm kinda tense about the future.

:)

Just now, sperry said:

All I know is the Times better be pretty damn sure if they're publishing the results of a prediction model again, after the presidential election. Why would they even bother?

Very good point.  Sounds pretty stupid to do so in this race before election night - sounds really really stupid doing so as results are coming in.

Just now, dmc515 said:

Very good point.  Sounds pretty stupid to do so in this race before election night - sounds really really stupid doing so as results are coming in.

I like it. I like to see how the results bounce against the expected turnout, necessary benchmarks to win and historical results.

From the 531 guys...

Perry County is the first Black Belt county entirely reporting. Jones won there 3,138 to 821. The bad news for Jones is that he won it by 58 percent, and I estimated that he needed to win it by 64 percent. But the good news for Jones is that that’s a pretty good turnout. Perry saw at about 76 percent as much turnout as it did in 2016, whereas Houston County (Moore’s base) was only at 58 percent of 2016 turnout.

Following up on that Nate Cohn tweet we posted below: I want to point out that Fayette County is all in. Moore won it by 50 points — well ahead of his benchmark there. Here’s the twist, though: There were less than 5,000 votes cast there. In 2014, there were nearly 7,000 votes cast there. In other words, turnout is way down from 2014 in a heavy pro-Moore area.

Just now, Mexal said:

I like it. I like to see how the results bounce against the expected turnout, necessary benchmarks to win and historical results.

Sure if that's the context.  That's not what it sounded like is all.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

That thing is going to waver until more votes are counted.  It's not a useful tool at all.  

It's done to Jones 70%.  It will switch to Moore shortly.

We'll see. Turnout is down in GOP counties and there is a slight uptick in turnout in Dem counties. That helps Jones quite a bit.

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

To be fair, their prediction model for the presidential election was based on polls prior to the election. Their model on the day is different. That's based on turnout, benchmarks, etc.

That's why their model has Jones winning right now; turnout is down from their expectations in rural GOP counties. It could swing when Dem counties come in.

Just seems like their model is way too dependent on assumptions that they can't verify until after the fact. And I think this does a ton to damage their trust with the public, who don't really understand the concepts behind statistical modeling or what the "76%" number even needs. I think they would be better served leaving that to other websites to do the forecasting.

Archived