Please ignore

Ormond

13 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I know that threads about sports are usually put into Entertainment, but I think this news is about a lot more than the entertainment value of sports:

http://espnsports.news/nfl/story/_/id/68393572/dan-snyder-honors-native-americans-changes-team-mascot-to-washington-redhawks

We have had several presentations and discussions at the American Name Society meetings over the years about the controversy over the name "Redskins" and how a great many Native Americans found the name to be demeaning. I am very happy to see this -- the owner mightily resisted changing the name for years.

Of course I confidently expect Trump to very soon tweet about how this was a bad decision. 

Unfortunately, this looks to be a hoax-

The URL you posted was to "http://espnsports.news" which is not a real site. :/

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If it makes you feel any better, we here have come up with a number of  better names for the Washington Racial Slurs.

I liked the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons despite its progeny from Gregggggg Easterbrook on TMQ - who is a fairly obnoxious doofus.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah, this is the very definition of fake news.  

Well, it is and it isn't.  In the sense that it was never the goal to genuinely fool people into believing the name change long term.  I'm mean, obviously as soon as the team owner comes out and says, "err…ya, no," the jig is up.  End of fake news cycle.  

What I've seen instead, is that the intent was just to get people to feel that initial reaction upon hearing the news, and then later to reflect on how simple, logical, and really just generally non-earthshaking that sort of name change would be for the team, or the fans, or the owner.

@Ormond -- This is actually really worth people seeing IMO -- 

https://deadspin.com/amazing-online-hoax-welcomes-washington-redhawks-to-t-1821260116

The 'hoax' was put on by Native advocates:

Official Statement on #GoRedhawks campaign by Native advocates. "We created this action to show the NFL and the Washington Football franchise how easy, popular and powerful changing the name could be."

Not really a bad way to make a point. No one gets hurt, no real malice, no one being personally attacked, and for those who are trying to change the name, they bring attention back to the issue again.

I have been a lifelong fan* of the Washington team, part of a family that a large part of are hardcore fans for this team generation after generation, up to four generations now (I'm in the third). But I don't mind if they change the name, I support it, I think it would be a good idea and as they say, it's "on the right side of history". 

*I've sort of given up on the NFL entirely this season though. I just can't stand to see the injuries anymore knowing much more now how long term and serious the effects of them are. If I root for any team I'll still root for my Washington team, but I'd be happier knowing my favorite team didn't have a name that so hurtfully slurred a whole culture of people.

Archived