Your 7

TommenIII

Okay! My "off-brand" list:

• Brienne of Tarth - big, extremely capable, loyal, decent
  • Sandor Clegane - ditto, and about time he was trusted to show his decency
  • ** Bryndan Blackfish Tully - a great commander and fighter, loyal, good
  • Loras Tyrell - admittedly a showboat, but with great capability and loyalty. I'd actually prefer his brother Garlan the Good, but Garlan is a first son
  • Thoros of Myr - that flaming sword can't be beaten. Can raise the dead - very helpful.
  • Alysane Mormont - good competent fighter, loyal and fierce
  • Theon Greyjoy - a good fighter, great with a bow, and in need of a place and responsibilities where he's finally appreciated

Perhaps it's a mistake, but a lot of this list is aspirational: giving characters a chance and encouragement to step up and grow into their roles.  Blackfish and Thoros are proven and celebrated warriors, which would give some level of experience to the team. I'd put the Blackfish in charge.

I've observed that there has been very little representation from the North. Some of this may be because there are few "sers" up there, knighthood being a religious ritual of the Seven, and Northmen worshipping the Old Gods. Because of this, I would make knighthood purely optional. Oaths sworn would be to protect and defend the King (or Queen) and to uphold basic values, and giving best advice (maybe through the Lord Commander) when the monarch's actions are questionable.

I also didn't care to go back into time, as I really lack the familiarity with the knights of the distant past. Everything I've read tends to be hearsay - the legends told after their death, basically. I've also deliberately excluded everyone from Aerys's Kingsguard. All of these guys just kicked back and watched a clearly bonkers Aerys maim and torture, burn and kill. Barristan ("the Old") even rescued Aerys to enable him to continue his reign of errors, which became a reign of terrors. By the time Jaime finally manned up and killed him, the rebellion to overthrow Aerys had succeeded.

26 minutes ago, Dofs said:

And Cersei didn't think that Joffrey was mad or anything. In fact, she was extremely happy with his behaviour. If you remember that she wasn't, than you are again confusing the books with the show.

I know that Cersei really liked Joffrey's viciousness; the show whitewashed her in this respect and made her into a "loving mother". What a fiasco. However, Cersei could not have been unaware that Joff's decision to behead Ned, contrary to her carefully arranged plans, threw a wrench in the works. Her father certainly made sure she knew it. Cersei is definitely cracking down on Tommen, in contrast. There are many reasons: his even greater youth than Joffrey, her disappointment that Tommen lacks the meanness and willfullness of her first son, his infatuation with Margaery ("the younger and more beautiful queen") Tyrell. In short, Cersei is actually acting like a Regent in Tommen's case, and not the Rubberstamp she was to King Joffrey the Mad.

My 7: 

-Jaime 'King Slayer' Lannister: He is more than capable fighting & some of things other people see as a con I see as a pro, for instance being indifferent to who sits the throne. Jaime is not loyal without question but can be loyal if you earn it. 

- Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane - again a great fighter & loyal. 

- Brienne 'The Beauty' Tarth - arguably one of the most honest & loyal people in the 7K, also great with a sword

- Barristan 'The Bold' Selmy - an honorable man & one of the best swords in the 7K

- Stannis Baratheon - once sworn in would never break a vow or fail to do his duty. Decent swordsman

- Eddard 'Ned' Stark - decent swordsman, honorable, honest, & loyal

Last but not least

- Jorah Mormont - smart, goods swordsman, not always loyal but not entirely unloyal either. 

Aemon the Dragonknight 
Arthur Dayne
Barristan Selmy
Duncan the Tall
Lord Cregan Stark
Mance Rayder
Brienne of Tarth

Aemon and Cregan are no-brainers for me, as is the ambidextrous Sword of the Morning with his magic blade. Similarly, anyone who wouldn't at least consider Barristan is nuts.

Duncan is half a sentimental pick, but he was big, he was strong, and he was loyal.

Mance defeated all the Wildling would-be kings and that is no mean feat. He also had Jon Snow scrambling to keep up with him when glamoured as Rattleshirt, and Jon had the benefit of training from Ser Rodrik.

Brienne is perhaps the most loyal person in the entire series and is good enough with a sword to kick Jaime's and Loras' rears, so 'nough said.

Back-up picks: Jorah Mormont; Brynden Tully; Greatjon Umber; Oberyn Martell (not that he would ever take/keep a vow of chastity); Syrio Forel; Strong Belwas; Areo Hotah. 

I considered Stannis but he's more known for his commanding than his one-on-one fighting skills.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Mance Rayder

Somehow, I don't see Mance bending the knee, particularly not to some distant southron king. But then, this is our dream teams - the dead have risen, and missing hands have been restored, so why quibble? Mance was definitely a great swordsman.

Archived