Why do the Starks want a Targaryen match?

Frey Kings

On 12/14/2017 at 1:19 PM, Freys Injustice said:

They aren’t ambitious, they’re proud man with the blood of the first men running heavy in their veins. So they made that deal during the Dance, which means it’s been in their minds for a while and something they look forward to. Why?

Eddard is not the average Stark.  His father lusted for power and plotted against his lawful king.  I wouldn't claim the Starks lacked ambition.  The theory is called Southron Ambitions. 

The Targaryens would rather marry out a son instead of daughters.  The females carry the dragon bonding genes.  The Starks wanted to bring a dragon into the family.  I think the Martells also wanted to do the same. 

3 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

Actually I think it is his fault. Robb and Eddard were able to raise armies to join the war before it had been decided in their own times and thus the fault for the North never adding more strength than it did to the Black cause is because Cregan sat around too long. If he wanted he could have marched south to join with the Tullys, in fact Cregan was even slower than Borros, who feared to face dragons.

I agree. Eddard Stark is by far not any kind of "Average Stark". He is his own person in thought, act and deed.

Neither Robb nor Eddard had to raise an army during/at the end of a winter. They also didn't send a good portion of their best troops south ahead of their main armies.

18 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Neither Robb nor Eddard had to raise an army during/at the end of a winter. They also didn't send a good portion of their best troops south ahead of their main armies.

No, but Cregan raised his army after about some 70 years of peace or something like that while the North had fought a major war a bit over a decade before in Robb's case. In fact I would say that Cregan sending an elite force ahead is more about his strategy than his ability to get his army together and march them south. So I really don't see any reasonable reasons for why Cregan would only show up after the war is over.

39 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

No, but Cregan raised his army after about some 70 years of peace or something like that while the North had fought a major war a bit over a decade before in Robb's case. In fact I would say that Cregan sending an elite force ahead is more about his strategy than his ability to get his army together and march them south. So I really don't see any reasonable reasons for why Cregan would only show up after the war is over.

I honestly think it's purely down to mobility. The North is very large, they wouldn't have a lot of food at that point in time, the men wouldn't be in great shape, the population might be down and marching during/at the end of winter would make it slow going.

34 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

I honestly think it's purely down to mobility. The North is very large, they wouldn't have a lot of food at that point in time, the men wouldn't be in great shape, the population might be down and marching during/at the end of winter would make it slow going.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree?

The Starks by and large have had small interest in the South, let alone a royal marriage. Rickard Stark was an exception to this. Even Ned had no interest in being Hand despite all the ways he could use it to his advantage to help the North. The main reason he accepted the job was because the king was in danger and Catelyn teamed up with Luwin to pressure Ned into it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Starks were promised a Targaryen marriage of some kind after the end of the Dance but didnt press the issue when it didnt come to pass. The Starks have had some marriages to southerners over the years but none with any ambition to be mentioned alongside the ambition of Rickard, let alone a royal marriage.

Btw it should be noted that Rickard's "southron ambitions", whatever those might have been, they were not royal and definitely not Targaryen. He was strengthening his House's ties to other paramount Houses, but there is no indication whatsoever that he was ever looking for a royal marriage.

Archived