To Hell With you 2017!!!

Martell Spy

I think we definitely earned a sequel. Off the top of my head, marching Nazis, hurricanes, and an endless array of sexual harassers. I'm definitely going to drink very hard this New Years and I'm glad I made it.

F U, 2017!!!

From the 2016 post by @drawkcabi:

There are years I think that are more messed up than others and go down in history as bad years. It's all subjective to a degree and debatable I suppose but I think some years more people will agree suck than others.

1812, 1861, 1914, 1929, 1939, 1941, 1963, 1968, 2001, 2005 seem to be stand out fucked up years. I won't deny that those years are partial to my U.S. centric POV and maybe some of those years should be part of a string of bad years that are just as bad as the others around them or maybe they are the worst of the bunch. I enjoy history very much but I am far from an expert.

I just feel 2016 will go down in history as one of those years most people will agree were not the best of times.

So debate it in this thread what years you think were bad or just chime in and say a big FUCK YOU! to 2016 and let off some steam.

And :grouphug: to anyone having an especially difficult 2016 even more than the rest of us.

To Hell With you 2016!!! 

This year should have been a personal triumph for me (I graduated) but it feels more like one kick in the gut after another. And of course politics around the world are depressing right now. So, to hell with you 2017, though I have no greater hopes for 2018

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Well, I lost almost a hundred pounds this year. So that was nice.

When I first read that, I thought you were referring to British pounds, and that you'd lost money! Congrats on the weight loss. :)

2017 has been an OK year for me at a personal level. Not as good as 2016 though (yes, I'm the only person on the planet apart from Donald Trump who actually had a good 2016).

With regards to that OP, what was so bad about 2005?

also man, yeah, fuck to 2001. :(

this year has been ok on the personal front, although we got 15 days left. 

I mean I did have complications from eye surgery and two super close friends moved away and I did have nervous breakdown on July...

still better than 2016 though 

3 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

When I first read that, I thought you were referring to British pounds, and that you'd lost money! Congrats on the weight loss. :)

2017 has been an OK year for me at a personal level. Not as good as 2016 though (yes, I'm the only person on the planet apart from Donald Trump who actually had a good 2016).

Eh, not the only one. 2016 was great for me personally too.

2017 though ... meh.

On 15.12.2017 at 10:16 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

This year should have been a personal triumph for me (I graduated) but it feels more like one kick in the gut after another. And of course politics around the world are depressing right now. So, to hell with you 2017, though I have no greater hopes for 2018

That's exactly it. So much!

Even without politics the year was beginning with a slump. My practice semester ended and going back to university courses made me depressed because I had somewhat settled in my teacher lifestyle and didn't want to leave at all. And then while everyone keeps telling me that graduating with my Master's degree is some kind of achievement that I should celebrate, I couldn't do that at all because I kept thinking that I now left just another step of my life behind me without accomplishing much in regards to repairing my social anxieties. In general, the entire year was just a repeated sequence of me working myself to death and my mood doing dive jumps of self-loathing and regrets. The more I think about it, I may now be less socially adjusted than I was 5 years ago and this irritates the hell out of me.

14 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Well, I lost almost a hundred pounds this year. So that was nice.

Congratulations!

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not just Katrina, though that was the worst, but it was a hell of year for hurricanes. Four hit the U.S. We ran through the alphabet names that year and were onto hurricane/tropical storms Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon. W. Bush begins second term, "Hell of a job, Brownie!", Iraq war escalates, very clear no mission was accomplished. Gas prices in the U.S. were over $5 a gallons in places that year.

And on a personal level, 2005 was a serious horrible shit year for me. As was 1998 and 2016. 

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, 2005 was a shit year for me thanks to a stupid human trick by yours truly which caused a broken foot and changes that I really hadn't wanted.  (not to mention a lot of pain).  2017, while not tricky or painful, was a year long exercise in trying to change things to have no advancement, at all.  Still in working in the same dive, for the same POS supervisor, still getting happy talk from management about all the cool things they're gonna do for me.  yeah, ahahhahahahahaha!! yeah.  All of that with an Orange Buffoon on top. 

Fuck You 2017!

For me the downside of 2017 is more personal than general.

My Dad passed away at 3 am this morning.  He was 84, survived by his wife (91 and still going strong), myself and my two younger brothers, plus more younger relatives than I can easily keep track of anymore.  He was one of the area's original homesteaders (and one of the few to succeed), a welder on the trans-Alaska pipeline (and others), master electrician, a good mechanic, and helped found the local volunteer fire department.  Yes, we disagreed on politics, especially since the last presidential election.  But, on balance, he was a good guy who never stopped trying to do the 'right thing.'

I strongly suspected since last Christmas that 2017 would be his last year, though I dared hope otherwise a few times.

From a personal perspective, 2017 has possibly been the best year of my life.

Sorry guys. :P

ETA: Yeah I just skimmed this thread without reading most of the posts and I now realise this comes across as really flippant, particular given the nature of the post directly above. Sorry about that.

I hope next year is better for you all.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

My Dad passed away at 3 am this morning.  He was 84, survived by his wife (91 and still going strong), myself and my two younger brothers, plus more younger relatives than I can easily keep track of anymore.  He was one of the area's original homesteaders (and one of the few to succeed), a welder on the trans-Alaska pipeline (and others), master electrician, a good mechanic, and helped found the local volunteer fire department.  Yes, we disagreed on politics, especially since the last presidential election.  But, on balance, he was a good guy who never stopped trying to do the 'right thing.'

I strongly suspected since last Christmas that 2017 would be his last year, though I dared hope otherwise a few times.

Im very sorry to hear that. My condolences.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

serious sympathy for your loss, i remember when my Dad went in 1991

this year, i lost my best friend who had been suffering with cancer for almost 3 yrs...and i lost another dear friend who died suddenly ...i lost my last 2 dogs 2 months apart...i am now a dogless sniffer...first christmas without a dog in 35 yrs

and just as a cherry on top, i had to pay 45,000 USdollars because of a clerical error the state made concerning my property taxes...

2017 fuck off and die

Well, 2017 had been a pretty terrible one for me though it was starting to look like it might end on a happy-ish note but that's a negatory.  I think I was just trying to plug the hole from all the shitty shit and sought out the first good thing I could find without seriously and truly thinking about it, because if I really thought about it I would have known it was a bad idea.  There were some bright spots and I'm thankful for those moments, but in general 2017 has been shit.  I've pretty much decided to take a complete break from life and have headed off on an extended road trip.  

4 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I'm sorry for your loss. I, too, lost my father this year. But his death was sudden and unexpected, and I am still not OK. I hope you can get a measure of peace in the coming days and months. 

I am sorry for everybody's loss.

10 hours ago, Giomax said:

I feel like people are going to say this at the end of every year.

That is also true. But they are probably also going to say this was the best year at some point for every year.

Archived