Angel Eyes

Well, let me think about where Robert’s known bastards are from:

Mya Stone: The Vale

Bella: Riverlands

Gendry: King’s Landing

Edric Storm: Reach, fostered in Stormlands

Barra: King’s Landing

3 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

The one time he was in the North that we know of he was kind of shackled to his wife most of the time. I know he could slip away if he really wanted to, but I think he kept it in his pants when he went to get a new Hand. 

He could have been in the North to meet Lyanna. Or did she go to the Vale to meet him?

I’m going to assume that since you didn’t put a proper topic in the title that this is an open question for anything which surprises us.

I’m surprised that…

In retrospect, the Rains (Reynes) of Castamere have a much larger presence in the books on reread

There’s a lot of Stark imagery around Aegon but I can’t go Aegon is a secret Stark (yet)

The number of families about which we know virtually know very little yet seem potentially quite important to the story: Blackwoods, Royces, Mormonts, Daynes, Tyrells, Reeds, Whents/Harrenhal families...

On reread, I’ve noticed that even though we’re in the character’s heads during their POV, that we often have to rely on context to really tell us what the character is thinking and feeling. Even then, it’s still often hard to tell especially with some characters.

Brandon Stark bastards haven’t shown up yet.

Being inside Cersei’s head is so different than how other characters perceive her.

That there are so many Ironborn POVs (not complaining)

27 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I’m going to assume that since you didn’t put a proper topic in the title that this is an open question for anything which surprises us.

I’m surprised that…

In retrospect, the Rains (Reynes) of Castamere have a much larger presence in the books on reread

There’s a lot of Stark imagery around Aegon but I can’t go Aegon is a secret Stark (yet)

The number of families about which we know virtually know very little yet seem potentially quite important to the story: Blackwoods, Royces, Mormonts, Daynes, Tyrells, Reeds, Whents/Harrenhal families...

On reread, I’ve noticed that even though we’re in the character’s heads during their POV, that we often have to rely on context to really tell us what the character is thinking and feeling. Even then, it’s still often hard to tell especially with some characters.

Brandon Stark bastards haven’t shown up yet.

Being inside Cersei’s head is so different than how other characters perceive her.

That there are so many Ironborn POVs (not complaining)

No, it’s more of a specific question about whether or not Robert Baratheon sired bastards in the North. Sorry about that, but I needed something to fill the bottom section.

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

No, it’s more of a specific question about whether or not Robert Baratheon sired bastards in the North. Sorry about that, but I needed something to fill the bottom section.

Gotcha.

Maybe keep in mind though that if a lot of people start doing this it will make the forum difficult to navigate and will stifle discussion.

Maybe brainstorm some ideas as to why even though they're a bit crazy just to give folks something to bounce off of? Maybe go with a more general topic about Robert's time in the north and bring up bastards then? Balon's rebellion would be a good place to start.

Theon has black hair...:P

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

We haven’t heard of Robert Baratheon siring any bastards in the North.

Robert didn't spent much time in the North:

He was born in Stormlands, then lived in the Vale.

Then he fought mostly in Riverlands and Stormlands and probably went to Westerlands during Greyjoy's rebellion.

Then resided in Kings Landing.

Just had no opportunity to sire bastard in the North. But I think he had sired one in Estermont though:

There had been a female cousin too, a chunky little widow with breasts as big as melons whose husband and father had both died at Storm's End during the siege. "Her father was good to me," Robert told her, "and she and I would play together when the two of us were small." It did not take him long to start playing with her again. As soon as Cersei closed her eyes, the king would steal off to console the poor lonely creature.

I think it may be out of his respect for Lyanna.  Even King Bobby B had some line of decorum he didn't want to cross.  It would be a bad look to be fathering bastards on northern families while going on and on about their liege lord's sister and how much he loved her.  Doesn't hit as close to home in the other regions.

I think it's just a case of Robert not really having spent enough time in the North to father bastards. Even if he did, they're probably on brewsters and miller's wives where his future in-laws didn't have to see.

Prior to his trip to make Ned his hand, I don't think he had ever visited the North.  He certainly seemed surprised at its size and weather.   His courtship of Lyanna was arranged, and probably mostly took place long-distance, through Ned.  While it is possible he could have fathered someone at Winterfell during his visist, I kind of doubt it.  In any case, they probably would have died when Ramsay sacked the place. 

11 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

He could have been in the North to meet Lyanna. Or did she go to the Vale to meet him?

You forgot the twins in Lannisport.

I'd imagine northern girls were a bit less entranced with Robert than other girls were, as they can be a more feisty and independent lot for the simple reason that they have to be. And since he doesn't care for the cold (women wear too many clothes for his taste when it's cold) he may not have been in the North much. When he was trying to score points with Rickard to gain his consent for Lyanna, Robert would have had to behave. And since then...it doesn't seem he's been north since except when he went to offer Ned a job, and he would hardly be able to keep telling himself Lyanna was his great love if he was screwing around with other women while he was within a mile of her tomb at all times.

Then of course there's always moon tea.

2 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

he would hardly be able to keep telling himself Lyanna was his great love if he was screwing around with other women while he was within a mile of her tomb at all times.

I'm thinking you overestimate the man's intellect, much less his self-awareness...

15 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

The farthest north he had gone to before AGOT that the readers know of is the iron islands 

On 12/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, zandru said:

I'm thinking you overestimate the man's intellect, much less his self-awareness...

Robert wasn't a moron. He just had little self-control and almost no sense of duty.

The self-awareness part I grant. Not remotely introspective, our Bobby B. Still I think in or near Lyanna's home he would have felt far less comfortable acting like his normal self, especially when his likely inner justification for being such a lackluster human is that he would have been a better man if only Lyanna had lived.

Archived