Happy Ever After?

Giomax

True that. I mean, the happiest ending for some people will be to see Night King win and all of humanity have to flee across the sea. To me, that's just miserable.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't see Jonerys with a happy ending, it would be too much of a cliche.

The only happy couple will be Sam and Gilly. I don't see any other couples getting a happily ever after, to be quite honest. Jon and Daenerys will probably die but the "happy" part will be that their kid and BB!Sam get to grow up in a new world where they define their own future and so on...

Isaac on the ending:

As for the expected fan reception of the series finale, Hempstead Wright was blunt: “It won’t go the way some people want,” he said. “It will be too happy for some people, or too sad, or too whatever. That’s the nature of an ending.”

6 hours ago, jcmontea said:

The series was called a song of ice and fire before the jon dany relationship idea came about based on the original outline.

The title can refer to both of them even without them having a romantic relationship. Maybe GRRM always intended J/D to hook up, maybe he didn't. They can still be two sides to the same story regardless.

30 minutes ago, Giomax said:

The title can refer to both of them even without them having a romantic relationship. Maybe GRRM always intended J/D to hook up, maybe he didn't. They can still be two sides to the same story regardless.

That is a good point. Agreed. 

20 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Do you believe that? 

A lot of the stuff in there that does not end up happening does seem to be foreshadowed in the early part of AGOT such as something between Arya and Jon and Jaime killing his way to the throne. 

But regardless, lets say he made it all up. Does it change the point? The book series was still planned on being called A song of ice and fire as of the outline and there is no indication in the outline of any connection between jon and dany. Unless we think he deliberatley hid the jon and dany thing, i think we can still say as of 1994 the title did not seem to have anything to do with Jon and Dany. 

Of course, that does not mean as he wrote it he liked the idea of that connection and decided that it would also be a nice way to play on the ice and fire idea and so it became one of the meanings. 

Agreed 100% on this. Way before the show got popular it always seemed like the Jon Dany relationship was just a wishful dream people had. But the books never seemed to want to go that direction (and I would argue even more so in the books now that Jon is dead, and most likely coming back but going to be .... different.)

11 hours ago, Giomax said:

It is a little vague, but the interviewee did say that his information came from GRRM himself.  

11 hours ago, jcmontea said:

That is not Martin confirming it though right? The evidence seems to just be Alan Taylor 

It's the same as the Alan Taylor quote I gave you. It's Alan saying that GRRM said it in passing. I wouldn't really say that's proof. But to be fair, I want to see the actual quote from GRRM himself. Not hearsay. That may mean I expect more than the average person and that's on me.

56 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Agreed 100% on this. Way before the show got popular it always seemed like the Jon Dany relationship was just a wishful dream people had. But the books never seemed to want to go that direction (and I would argue even more so in the books now that Jon is dead, and most likely coming back but going to be .... different.)

I actually don’t agree with that per say. My view is the original plan was Jon/ Arya but at somepoint during the writing of AGOT after the first 100 manuscript pages it became Jon/ Dany. There seems to be lots of subtle foreshadowing in the books for that. 

On 19/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, jcmontea said:

Do you believe that? 

Sure, why not? Given that Jon/Dany have felt a bit... OTP-y since AGoT, despite them being on separate continents, if Jon/Arya/Tyrion ever was on the table he must have dumped it pretty quickly in favour of a more traditional sibling relationship (and thank God he did!) and the far-reaching story destined to converge at one point.

Archived