The Bard of Banefort

What Surname Are Salt Children Given?

8 posts in this topic

Unlike bastards, salt children are considered legitimate offspring on the Iron Islands and can even inherit lands and titles if their sire has no living Ironborn children at the time of his death. Since they're not  considered illegitimate, I doubt salt children would bear the name 'Pyke,' but it's not clear if they are given their father's surname, either, since they do have a lower status than offspring from 'rock' marriages. As far as I can recall, we are never given an answer in the books. What are some of your ideas for how salt children are named on the Iron Islands? 

I think they would receive the house name, and there’d be no official distinction except in terms of inheritance, where they’d come behind their rock-siblings.

I would suggest adding Salty before family name, so if Theon had a salt child he would be called:

Salty-Greyjoy

that would express his birth status and emotions regarding succession.

There was a house related to Greyjoys (or perhaps Hoares, can't recall) through children of Salt Wives. They were among the men Victarion left in MC.

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

There was a house related to Greyjoys (or perhaps Hoares, can't recall) through children of Salt Wives. They were among the men Victarion left in MC.

Codds and Humbles aren't mentioned as related to the Greyjoys (but are descended from salt wives), but we learn of distant cousins of the Asha who follow her.

15 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Codds and Humbles aren't mentioned as related to the Greyjoys (but are descended from salt wives), but we learn of distant cousins of the Asha who follow her.

My mistake then, but it gives us some idea on salt children.

28 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

My mistake then, but it gives us some idea on salt children.

I always assumed they got the last name

10 hours ago, Tygett Lannister said:

I would suggest adding Salty before family name, so if Theon had a salt child he would be called:

Salty-Greyjoy

that would express his birth status and emotions regarding succession.

Hahahaha good one :D