Best theory you've ever heard

Alright I see I missed out on some fun here.   Best theory of all time?  Bran Vras Hois Clos--The Grand Northern Conspiracy.   I wish there were more posts from Bran Vras, who I believe has changed names now.   

Favorite theory of all time?  I can't believe no one has mentioned Bolt-On.  It's very imaginative.  I don't care if it's true or false, it's fun to read and illustrates the innate creepiness of Roose Bolton. 

I'm sorry but I've got to throw in Who Wrote the Pink Letter and Who is the Hooded Man as some of my favorite discussions.  I don't even care who's guilty.   These discussions alone without determining anything are just so fun to read and participate in.  

21 hours ago, Faera said:

Aha, I tend to change my mind a lot when it comes to things like that.

I was re-reading the Purple Wedding and Cressen's death the other day, which was actually sparked by that post on the "Worst theories" thread, and decided, "huh, maybe it was the pie." I think the thing that really made me think about it again was down delayed Joffrey's reaction to the poison (if it was the wine) was compared to Cressen's. @Tygett Lannister has made some good points about the wine being purple (which might indicate the poison diluted into it) but I'm also still befuddled as to why Olenna Tyrell would risk poisoning the cup herself when she could have got an agent of hers disguised as a servant to do it for her.

Either way, I'm sure my mind will change many, many more times.

Ha ha, fair enough. I must admit that I myself have flipped back and forth a few times on this one initially. There really are some compelling aspects in favor of this hypothesis, however, I feel that when put under close scrutiny - by others much more adept than myself of course ;) - it just doesn't hold up.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've a feeling the George will not be providing anymore new info on this matter, so you just may be destined to be changing your mind for all eternity. :P 

19 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Ha ha, fair enough. I must admit that I myself have flipped back and forth a few times on this one initially. There really are some compelling aspects in favor of this hypothesis, however, I feel that when put under close scrutiny - by others much more adept than myself of course ;) - it just doesn't hold up.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've a feeling the George will not be providing anymore new info on this matter, so you just may be destined to be changing your mind for all eternity. :P 

I believe either LF or olenna will talk about this again. Either olenna will gloat to a lannister of LF about how he could fool sansa into thinking the tyrells were involved. I think the person who sent the catspaw will remain a bigger mistery unless grrm decides to clarify it...

On the other hand, in planetos isn t there any type of purple wine?

Just now, divica said:

On the other hand, in planetos isn t there any type of purple wine?

Wine wasn't purple it changed the color to purple from red that is the point.

1 minute ago, divica said:

I believe either LF or olenna will talk about this again. Either olenna will gloat to a lannister of LF about how he could fool sansa into thinking the tyrells were involved. I think the person who sent the catspaw will remain a bigger mistery unless grrm decides to clarify it...

Can't see that happening.

22 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Wine wasn't purple it changed the color to purple from red that is the point.

Can't see that happening.

Wasn t the wine taken from a new cask that tyrion somehow distroied? How do you know the color of the wine inside that cask?

ps I don t remember exactly how the cask was destroied...

50 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

I actually like the idea that we might be flip-flopping on it for eternity. Some things I think are meant to be left ambiguous. 

My favorite theory ever has to be that Oberyn poisoned Tywin. Since it has never been even close to disproven, it stands as a possible--if unlikely--option. Second favorite would be H+M=M&J (and J is not Jon, lest anyone ask). 

Now, best theory? Too many from which to choose. But it would be interesting to post a thread with links to the top 10 or so, per mentions in this thread, and add a poll to it so we can settle at least which is the most popular choice for best theory.

As to what was poisoned at the purple wedding...it depends entirely on the polarity of the strangler and whether you believe GRRM would sacrifice realism in so mundane a thing as poison to use "but magic..."

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Gloubie, have you seen this one?

From the same brilliant mind that brought us the truth of Janos Slynt, hero of the comman man.

Just one for one day, I'll read it tomorrow ^^

4 hours ago, RedGrace that was promised said:

Doran Martell and Red Viper are brothers. Your second day.

I think I'll finish the year !

Best theory I’ve heard: Littlefinger indirectly caused Robert’s Rebellion by informing Brandon Stark of Lyanna’s disappearance, which would either delay Brandon’s marriage to Catelyn, or have it not happen at all (as indeed happened). There, he learned the power of words and secrets and decided to cause another war, this time on purpose, to ruin the Starks and Tullys at least, if not the entire continent.

On 12/17/2017 at 5:40 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

I read this a few months ago. It's very interesting but I must admit I have a problem with the Lighbringer trick… The author assumes that Stannis sword is Lighbringer; unless I missed something it's not an evidence…

7 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

I read this a few months ago. It's very interesting but I must admit I have a problem with the Lighbringer trick… The author assumes that Stannis sword is Lighbringer; unless I missed something it's not an evidence…

Not so much that what Stannis has is the Lightbringertm , just that what Stannis has right now is a bringer of light. Yeah, Melisandre is really mixing a lot of her visions and ideas up in her head and spouting them as truth. She warns us of that, actually. What Stannis has, his false flag, should still help in the icy situation anyway- it gives off no heat, just light.

This is another case of how many different objects or people seemingly fit the bill, but we won't know the real deal until the action requires it on page. For instance, Drogo is another lightbringer. He is a flaming black sword in the sky. But- he also gives off heat, so he may possibly be the Lightbringertm, or just a version of it. What else is a lightbringer? Dawn ;), especially after a long, cold winter. But we may never be given a clear, final answer from the author. There just so many possibilities with this (and threads!^_^), which is all good fun and discussion.

• "No," the old man said. "It must be you. Tell them. The prophecy . . . my brother's dream . . . Lady Melisandre has misread the signs. Stannis . . . Stannis has some of the dragon blood in him, yes. His brothers did as well. Rhaelle, Egg's little girl, she was how they came by it . . . their father's mother . . . she used to call me Uncle Maester when she was a little girl. I remembered that, so I allowed myself to hope . . . perhaps I wanted to . . . we all deceive ourselves, when we want to believe. Melisandre most of all, I think. The sword is wrong, she has to know that . . . light without heat . . . an empty glamor . . . the sword is wrong, and the false light can only lead us deeper into darkness, Sam. Daenerys is our hope. Tell them that, at the Citadel. Make them listen. They must send her a maester. Daenerys must be counseled, taught, protected. For all these years I've lingered, waiting, watching, and now that the day has dawned I am too old. I am dying, Sam." Tears ran from his blind white eyes at that admission. "Death should hold no fear for a man as old as me, but it does. Isn't that silly? It is always dark where I am, so why should I fear the darkness? Yet I cannot help but wonder what will follow, when the last warmth leaves my body. Will I feast forever in the Father's golden hall as the septons say? Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children? What if the horselords have the truth of it? Will I ride through the night sky forever on a stallion made of flame? Or must I return again to this vale of sorrow? Who can say, truly? Who has been beyond the wall of death to see? Only the wights, and we know what they are like. We know."

Until The Foresaken, Winds was released, this was my favorite. I still like it, but with out Euron getting banged by his brother, it loses a little juice.

This is currently my favorite... So there's that little box about the Mountain Clans in the Vale, TWOIAF that says the Burned Men were spun off the painted dogs when they were enthralled by a fire witch with a dragon. Now I realize that the more likely candidate was Nettles since the witch commanded a dragon, and it would close the Nettles-Sheepsteeler thread, but I read Alys into this when I first read it since the gal is a fire witch. 

And here's why I like it...

What if the dragon wasn't a dragon like Sheepstealer but the child of Aemond One-Eye?!? And what if Timmet, who has one eye, is not only the true heir to the Vale (as we all know is true, right?), but also a descendant ol' One-Eye?!? (Dude's gonna ride Viserion after Brown Ben gets whacked. I will bet half a groat.) 

7 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

I don't agree with everything the person wrote. I can't really say much about the light bringer thing except Aemon doesn't believe Stannis' sword is the real deal. My ASOIAF knowledge is limited to what I pay attention to.

On 12/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, GloubieBoulga said:

On 12/16/2017 at 4:47 PM, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

You made my day ! This is just perfect !

Speaking of obvious Clegane theories, once upon a time I had one, too (the gist: Gregor Clegane wasn't actually all that big and tall). Sadly, it got locked before everybody had a chance to agree with me, dunno why. :( 

Archived