How would you feel if..

Crona

10 minutes ago, Crona said:

How would you feel if it turns out that Jon is just dead and Dany just stays in Essos and never comes to Westeros? 

Would this be a twist that you would never expect?

Yes, it would. That kind of a twist is called "shocking swerve" - a twist for the sake of a twist only. I hope GRRM is a better creator than that.

(Although I doubt if he's still is a creator at all. Six years since the last book, seven years since the last Dunk & Egg story, over a year since the last sample chapter - no, nope, I see no hope whatsoever).

4 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Yes, it would. That kind of a twist is called "shocking swerve" - a twist for the sake of a twist only. I hope GRRM is a better creator than that.

(Although I doubt if he's still is a creator at all. Six years since the last book, seven years since the last Dunk & Egg story, over a year since the last sample chapter - no, nope, I see no hope whatsoever).

Agreed love this mans work but he is just horrible to his fans, his money grab skills are A+ though this is just my opinion. Be careful though the moderators of this forum dont allow much criticism of the GREAT GRRM. 

23 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Agreed love this mans work but he is just horrible to his fans, his money grab skills are A+ though this is just my opinion. Be careful though the moderators of this forum dont allow much criticism of the GREAT GRRM. 

Money really?

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I would feel so cheated lol but for some reason I kind of like the idea of Jon and Dany being non factors after all.

It does feel like he’s losing steam...I’m surprised so many people are still talking about the books after so long 

4 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

And "The Sons of the Dragons" is what, chopped liver?

4 hours ago, Crona said:

How would you feel if it turns out that Jon is just dead and Dany just stays in Essos and never comes to Westeros? 

I find it a little unlikely since the series was practically based on this,but it would be a very unexpected thing mainly for we fans

Well, George RR pulled the rug out from under me when he killed off good, ethical Ned Stark. I've often thought that sure, Jon may be dead dead. Set up as the smart, brave, creative Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, befriender of the free folk, re-opener of the castles on the Wall ... and almost certainly a Targaryen heir. So BAM! He's dead. Back to square one, as the Others move in.

And Daenerys? Smart, brave, kind, thoughtful; staying in the hideous society of Meereen to try to pick up governing experience before returning to her native land. She won't admit that all of Slaver's Bay is near hopeless, at least for a single generation's work. So she stays and hardens her heart and rules by blood and fire. Westeros remains a disjointed, warring, now bankrupt continent - and the Others with their wights are moving south as winter settles in. Could really use some dragonpower there, but the Khaleesi is busy.

Okay - suppose this IS what happens. Then what? Are there any heroes or even enlightened leaders left who can bring themselves to leave off their game of thrones and deal with the clear and present danger? I only see Stannis and his followers.

5 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Agreed love this mans work but he is just horrible to his fans, his money grab skills are A+ though this is just my opinion.

If this was the case he'd just put out some half-baked version of Winds of Winter that everyone is waiting to buy. Then do the same with the last book that most people would still buy because they are already so invested in the story. He'd make a lot of money on those two books either way. If he was really just in it for the money he probably would have already done this before the show came out with it's last few seasons.

I think if anything he's a perfectionist who wants to finish the story as strong as he started it. 

7 hours ago, Crona said:

Both would be awesome to me.  I love Dany's plot in Essos.  The story would be better to me if Jon stays dead.  

38 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Both would be awesome to me.  I love Dany's plot in Essos.  The story would be better to me if Jon stays dead.  

I think I would rather have him dead too, but I find it unlikely.

Westeros would be in the hands of Stannis, Euron, Aegon/JonCon, Cersei, and Doran, wonder what would happen.

2 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

I think if anything he's a perfectionist who wants to finish the story as strong as he started it. 

Bless you for that, ser! I think you're the closest to the truth.

(Footnote: In my opinion, the ugly side of "fandom" is when an alleged "fan" feels an author "owes" him something, because said fan read something the author wrote. Put this into more familiar terms: what, do you think, Frito-Lay owes you? Crazy, huh?)

I read an article last year that spoke of GRRM's impatient book fans.   It took the position that if there were no more books to the ASOIAF universe it's still a fine tale with a distinct ending.  What a bunch of horse hockey that was.   I've learned not ever to start a book series until it's finished as a result of enjoying this series.   I've also learned that TV sure isn't the same as it was when I quit watching years ago.  

I've already experienced Jon's death and a long enough wait.   Jon being dead sucks.  But it is, at the very least, an ending.   Unsatisfying, but ended.

Dany not returning to Westeros?   WTH?   No. No. No.   We leave Dany in a transitional place in ADWD.   She's fixing to do something and go somewhere.  Maybe with her dragon.  I don't know.   What I do know is that story is NOT finished nor has it moved to a place where it could be a satisfying ending.   (Not to mention all the other storylines...)

4 hours ago, zandru said:

(Footnote: In my opinion, the ugly side of "fandom" is when an alleged "fan" feels an author "owes" him something, because said fan read something the author wrote. Put this into more familiar terms: what, do you think, Frito-Lay owes you? Crazy, huh?)

Truer words have rarely been writen.

On the topic however I think it would be kind of cool. It would be an interesting twist and certainly let things develop without any clear "savior" character to come onto the stage.

I don't think it would be a "shocking twist" at all or satisfying. There have been plenty of permadeaths in this series with only Beric and LSH are the true exceptions... and they seem to be building up to something. Same with Jon and the goings on behind the scenes that led up to his death. We aren't even sure he has actually died or is just on death's door, which makes a big difference. (Like Robert Strong, if he is Gregor Clegane we don't know if he ever died but was simply on life support).

As for Dany, I don't think I mind if she joined the Westerosi game late though if she never made it there at all, it would be a little disappointing. Not as much as Jon dying and his plot-line just being dumped. That would tick me off in a "throw the book across the room and put it in the freezer" way. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

That sums it up.

Archived