Which Targs do you want to know more about?

TheWitch

Which Targaryens are you most interested in and why? What would you like to know about them?

My obvious choices would be Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya. Each has the beginning of complex characters, and an air of mystery to want to know more. Aegon being something of an enigma amongst his own peers makes me particularly keen to read a story from his perspective. The short descriptions of Visenyas character have all been quite contradictory and so it would be cool to see a more meaty story give context and dimension to her character. The way Rhaenys died is an obvious area of interest, but I'm also very interested in her relationship with Visenya, the way she raised Aenys and her perspective on court politics. I think the way these characters have been set up, its very clear that this is the most likely area GRRM will expand on once ASIOAF is complete. Fire and Blood is as far as I understand partly written, but correct me if I am mistaken. 

The King that I am probably most interested in is Dearon II. I find him fascinating as he breaks many of the expected norms of a male ruler, but has left a positive legacy behind. I personally find the idea of a court filled with Maesters and Dornish culture very appealing. The Blackfyre rebellions are also crying out for more work on them. Another character i'd love to learn more about is Elaena Targaryen. Not only would the psychological impact of being held prisoner by your zealous brother be fascinating to un-pick, but her impact on the governance of Westeros in later life seems important. Whilst I find characters like Daena interesting, I'm fond of female characters who are driven by intellect in more subtle and productive ways. Really the period following the DOD would be such a great period of Westrosi History to expand on in later work. The changing power dynamic for the Targryens and the continent as a whole would be fun to read. 

There are many more Alyssa Vealyron, Viserys II, Rheanys (The Queen Who Never Was), Egg... just didn't want to write too much of an essay

The Egg of course. I'm interested what exactly happened with Dunk and Egg, that they completely changed what they wanted. Egg said that he isn't interested in getting married, while Dunk, on the contrary, thought that why whould he want to join Kingsguards (what Daemon II Blackfyre offered him), if he wants to marry one day, and to have a home and family. Instead Aegon married when he was 20 years old, and Dunk became a Kingsguard <- I'm interested in what exactly changed their mind, and what they wanted from their life.

Honestly, I want to learn more about Viserys II. He has one of the best positions of anyone in the history of House Targaryen to justify a spinoff series. He’s hand of the king to his brother, his two nephews, keeps the realm intact single handedly despite the ravages of war, and maybe killed the Baelor to stop his insanity from going too far. Then he becomes king, a position he clearly deserves through his hard work, and he’s despised as a possible kinslayer while the crazy Baelor is beloved in death. Then to cap it all off, he watches his children despise each other due to Aegon being a complete garbage pile of a human. Then he dies a year in, most likely poisoned by his own son so that he can rule quicker.

There is so much potential here for an incredible series of books. 

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Honestly, I want to learn more about Viserys II. He has one of the best positions of anyone in the history of House Targaryen to justify a spinoff series. He’s hand of the king to his brother, his two nephews, keeps the realm intact single handedly despite the ravages of war, and maybe killed the Baelor to stop his insanity from going too far. Then he becomes king, a position he clearly deserves through his hard work, and he’s despised as a possible kinslayer while the crazy Baelor is beloved in death. Then to cap it all off, he watches his children despise each other due to Aegon being a complete garbage pile of a human. Then he dies a year in, most likely poisoned by his own son so that he can rule quicker.

There is so much potential here for an incredible series of books. 

Absolutely. Viserys was clearly the core of government for the DOD fallout, his actions would be super important in our understanding of how the Targaryens managed to maintain control. I also totally agree with you on a book about him being a great choice. Whilst I think it's obvious which Targaryens will get more attention from GRRM and be the centre of T.V spin offs, his story would be a much more interesting story for me. The contrast of going from a very action filled story, to one that's perhaps slower in pace but far more heavy in the politics of court and the actual governance of Westeros would really flesh out the franchise.

20 hours ago, TheWitch said:

Elaena Targaryen

Yes. The entire Maidenvault saga actually. I want to hear it from the girls' POV.

16 hours ago, Megorova said:

Instead Aegon married when he was 20 years old, and Dunk became a Kingsguard <- I'm interested in what exactly changed their mind, and what they wanted from their life.

I hadn't even thought of that, but now I really want to know.

14 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Viserys II

And yes, for all the reasons you mentioned.

There are so many Targs I find intriguing. I can't wait for Fire & Blood (OK, I can if it means we get TWOW first).

BTW, sort of semi-related - did we ever find out what happened to Alys Rivers and her child? She had the sight, so I'm surprised I haven't read a "Mel is the child of Alys and Aemond" theory yet. YET.

Shiera Seastar.  Half sister and lover of Brynden Rivers/Bloodraven.  Most beautiful woman in the realm.  I mostly want to more about her description as a sorceress. I also want to learn much more about the love triangle between Shiera, her half brother Bloodraven and her other half brother Aegor Rivers/Bittersteel. 

Rhaegar. The whole series seems to have revolved around his "abduction" or elopement with Lyanna Stark. What gives? Why did he do it? One would think that, as a married man in his late 20s, he'd be beyond the teenage years of uncontrollable lust and romance. Why does everyone except Robert Baratheon seem to love and idolize him? (We already know Robert's hangup.) What was all that correspondence between him and Maester Aemon all about? What did Daenerys's vision in the House of the Undying mean?

This, much more than ancient history.

14 hours ago, zandru said:

Rhaegar. The whole series seems to have revolved around his "abduction" or elopement with Lyanna Stark. What gives? Why did he do it? One would think that, as a married man in his late 20s, he'd be beyond the teenage years of uncontrollable lust and romance. Why does everyone except Robert Baratheon seem to love and idolize him? (We already know Robert's hangup.) What was all that correspondence between him and Maester Aemon all about? What did Daenerys's vision in the House of the Undying mean?

This, much more than ancient history.

I don't remember any correspondence between Rhaegar and Aemon.  Where can I read about that?

On 18/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, Endymion I Targaryen said:
  • Aegon V and what happened to Summerhall.
  • Shiera Seastar and her fate
  • Blackfyres and their story in Essos.

Bingo!!! Exactly what I was thinking as well.

Plus the story of how Bloodraven ended up in the cave

• Daenys The Dreamer - How were things for her, Gaemon and Aenar after arriving at Dragonstone? What secrets might her dreams hold?
  • Viserys I - what was his relationship with Balerion, whom he was last to fly with.
  • Jaehaerys II - a short yet somewhat underrated reign. 
  • Maegor, son of Aerion - the forsaken King.
  • Rhaena and Baela, daughters of Rhaenyra - what was the deal with their marriages? One goes for a formerly Blacks supporting Velaryon while another marries a member of the Green associated Hightowers. How did the Dance affect their minds?

If bastards are allowed then I'll name a few

• Mya and Gwenys Rivers - Bloodraven's sisters.
  • Balerion, son of Aegon IV - was he really Aegon's son? If so then I wonder if he grew into some powerful pirate lord. And wouldn't Balerion Targaryen be a great name for one of Dany's kids, should her womb quicken?
  • Aemond One Eye and Alys Rivers child - One parent might be a bastard of the ultra mysterious House Blackfire who sees visions in fire and water while the other has a rather suggestive sapphire eye, was riding Vhagar before puberty, and died at the God's Eye. What kind of beliefs might this child have grown up with?

• 2 weeks later...

Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys no doubt just wanna know about their relationship and how they felt about Orys too being their bastard brother and all.

Daeron I- say what you will but a 14 year old ruling without a regent and getting such a legendary status i want to know more

Gaemon- how did he get the name the glorious i must know 

Archived