Delayed on purpose

IronBars

Refine his craft for 7 years and counting? And before that 6 years i believe ?

I think the first 6 year delay was mainly due to it being picked up/developed for tv, and now the delay is so the tv show finishes first since the tv show has more followers and show bosses dont want the books out first as they have said season 8 will cover winds of winter and a dream of spring.

Alot of authors have written more complex and larger books then GRRM produces with half the wait time namely steven erikson, 

Incidently i also think the reason patrick rothfuss is delaying the 3rd book of his series, 

1 hour ago, IronBars said:

Sorry if this has been done before i am a new member,

Is GRRM delaying winds of winter and a dream of spring on purpose so the tv show will finish first?

And, as a corollary, cynically, purposefully lying to his readers in interviews and blog posts and whatnot, with his every heartfelt "I hoped it'd be completed by now"? That would make him one cold SOB. And for no sensible reason - it doesn't help neither the books nor the show.

So, no.

21 minutes ago, IronBars said:

Refine his craft for 7 years and counting? And before that 6 years i believe ?

I think the first 6 year delay was mainly due to it being picked up/developed for tv, and now the delay is so the tv show finishes first since the tv show has more followers and show bosses dont want the books out first as they have said season 8 will cover winds of winter and a dream of spring.

Alot of authors have written more complex and larger books then GRRM produces with half the wait time namely steven erikson, 

Incidently i also think the reason patrick rothfuss is delaying the 3rd book of his series, 

I don t think any amount of money would have stopped grrm from publishing the book before season 6. He has enough Money that his main interest is to have a show that follows his vision as close as possible.

I think the real problem is that grrm became lost after the 3 first books with some characters needing a time skip and others dont... I don t find strange that he needed a lot of time to solve that problem... However, along the way the interest of making a tv show of his books apeared and it ruined his work schedule.

We can t compare the ending of Affc/ADwD where the characters are in the middle of their journeys with the end of the 3 book where a lot of characters arcs ended... TWoW should have taken less time to write than the previous books. I believe that grrm either isn t spending much of his time writing or this book will be so big that it will be published as 2 vols at the same time.

Archived