What if you are hand

Alex Gu

I would use my position as hand and wait until Robert leaves the capital to make a whole new Small council getting rid of Littlefinger and Varys immediately, and request Stannis return to his position on the council at once or he will be replaced as well. I would have a house hold guard equal to the Lannisters so they cant bully me with man power, and I would not look into the twincest because frankly I don't care one bit, one on one lessons with Joffrey from Ser Barristan to teach him how to fight and a bit or honor to go with it. 

@Stormking902 had a really good answer.   You could only do better by adding to those ideas defensively.  I thought Renly's plan to replace Cersei was pretty good as well, considering the Tyrells are probably more wealthy than the Lannisters and they have a larger army (or access to fighters).  I don't know that the Small Council really could be replaced, but I would make damned sure they got all sorts of "busy work" tasks and I would demand Stannis return to Kings Landing.   Varys and Little Finger are both thought to be on top of their games insofar as their jobs go.  Ned dislikes Varys, but seems to fall for Little Finger's offers to help.  They would definitely have to go, but who could replace either?  Grand Maester Pycell would need to go.    On top of taking a large Northern presence I would replace as many "key" people as possible with my own trustworthy people.  (Commander of the Gold Cloaks, people like that.)  Still I think one of the biggest things I would do is put Cat on total lock down and keep her home.  I'm just not certain who among Ned's people could replace Baelish, Varys and Pycell.  

I think the Small Council would have been served much better by consisting of people from each realm instead of recycling King Aerys' people.  Bring in fresh blood from the Iron Islands, Vale, Reach, Crownlands, Riverlands and Dorne to serve the entire realm to its best capability.   It would probably do to replace the High Septon as well.   Just clean house.    

Just for fun: Does the Hand have the power to command the Queen to take her little heirs out on progress?   Take Cersei out of Kings Landing for a while to develop relationships with the rest of the realm? 

55 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Does the Hand have the power to command the Queen to take her little heirs out on progress?   Take Cersei out of Kings Landing for a while to develop relationships with the rest of the realm? 

Technically, possibly, I'm not up on 7K law. In reality, no chance. If Ned ordered her and Cersei said no, he'd have little recourse other than force. 

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Technically, possibly, I'm not up on 7K law. In reality, no chance. If Ned ordered her and Cersei said no, he'd have little recourse other than force. 

I didn't think so, but Robert probably could--I think getting rid of Cersei would have been the best move any hand could have made.   The Targs went on progress I wonder why Robert and/or Cersei didn't.   

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Yeah, if you're Ned, your course of action is simple once you get a hint of the twincest.  Immediately dismiss every senior commander of the goldcloaks, and put your own men in place.  Raise your own force or call it down from the North, enough so you easily outnumber any Lannister guardsmen in the capital, and only then do you confront Cersei.

People don't seem to understand that the Hand has the exact same powers as the King in the absence of royal decree/presence.  And since Robert doesn't give a shit, Ned is essentially wielding royal power.

His mistake, and arguably his only mistake, is in viewing his office and its authority as deriving from his personal relationship with Robert, and not as a base of power in it's own right.  In other words, we see that he's mostly unwilling to act without either running it by Robert, or unless he thinks it's an action that Robert would take/benefit the Throne.  He is not nearly willing enough to interpret those needs through his own perspective (as in, I will pay for lots of Northerners to be armed guards in the capital through the office of the Hand, because it increases my security and power, and therefore my ability to carry out Robert's "will).

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I thought Renly's plan to replace Cersei was pretty good as well, considering the Tyrells are probably more wealthy than the Lannisters and they have a larger army (or access to fighters). 

The Tyrells also seem to be much better liked than "Crimes Against Humanity" Tywin Lannister, and they know how to make themselves more likeable. Renly seemed to have a good feel for politics. Sadly, if all three Baratheon boys had been put together into one administration, they might have made a good kingship. Renly for the face, the glad-handing, and politics; Stannis for the sense of justice and to keep things running; Robert sent off on some distant battlefield to do what he loved most: making more little Baratheons and killing everyone else.

3 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I think the Small Council would have been served much better by consisting of people from each realm instead of recycling King Aerys' people.  Bring in fresh blood from the Iron Islands, Vale, Reach, Crownlands, Riverlands and Dorne to serve the entire realm to its best capability. 

Great idea! More diversity, and making sure each of the composite kingdoms has a stake in the governing process. Also, to balance one another off in case they start their "gaming" for the Throne. I also agree that it's time for Pycelle to retire with "honor" and be replaced with younger, possibly more trustworthy, blood.

13 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Die just like every other hand in the novels. it sucks to be that guy 

The only Hands who die prematurely because of the actions of others are Kevan and Ned.  Jon Arryn is murdered, but he was also Hand for 16 years, which is a pretty good run.

Tywin dies because he antagonizes the kid he'd been bullying his entire life; he also had been Hand for 20 years.  We see lots of people have awesome runs as the second most powerful man in the kingdom

On 12/18/2017 at 10:49 PM, Alex Gu said:

If you are made hand instead of eddard stark what would you do.?

I would plot behind Robert's back and restore the Targaryen dynasty.  I'm a Dany loyalists and would consider it my mission to remove the Baratheons and the Lannisters out of the way of the Targaryen siblings.  I would do everything in my power to put the Targaryens back on the throne.

On 12/21/2017 at 0:36 PM, Damsel in Distress said:

I would plot behind Robert's back and restore the Targaryen dynasty.  I'm a Dany loyalists and would consider it my mission to remove the Baratheons and the Lannisters out of the way of the Targaryen siblings.  I would do everything in my power to put the Targaryens back on the throne.

:)

Archived