Was all of 2017 just a cover so people would ignore the possible disclosure of aliens?

Fez

It almost feels that way, considering how little attention these two New York Times stories from the weekend have gotten.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/unidentified-flying-object-navy.html

As always, there's probably some sort of earthly explanation for everything being covered here, and we're getting the perspectives and juicy quotes from people who a biased interest in the matter. But still, the New York Times is reporting that the Pentagon built a warehouse in Nevada that has alloys recovered from "unidentified aerial phenomena" and one of the reporters said in an interview that researchers have been unable to identify to what compound those alloys are made from. And the New York Times also revealed this footage from an incident in 2004 that they obtained from the Pentagon along with testimony from the fighter pilots.

At the very least, seems like something worth talking about and yet almost no one is.

The shadowy program — parts of it remain classified — began in 2007, and initially it was largely funded at the request of Harry Reid, the Nevada Democrat who was the Senate majority leader at the time and who has long had an interest in space phenomena. Most of the money went to an aerospace research company run by a billionaire entrepreneur and longtime friend of Mr. Reid’s, Robert Bigelow, who is currently working with NASA to produce expandable craft for humans to use in space.

Seems obvious what the whole thing is about.

10 minutes ago, Loge said:

Seems obvious what the whole thing is about.

Does it? The funding was authorized by Inouye and Stevens, the top two defense appropriators at the time; and Stevens in particular had no need to support any Reid-related cronyism.

Moreover, the key sources for most of the New York Times' reporting are people not financially connected to Bigelow. Luis Elizondo was a Pentagon official who resigned this year (and was still working on the program post-2012, when Bigelow's funding ended), and the fighter pilots from the other story are just fighter pilots.

There likely are rational, non-alien explanations for everything, but it doesn't seem like a simple grifting plot. Moreover, even if there's a real boring explanation for everything, the fact that the Times put so much effort into reporting it would still be newsworthy (e.g. "what tricked the Times' reporters into thinking something big was here?)

10 hours ago, Fez said:

At the very least, seems like something worth talking about and yet almost no one is.

Everyone is afraid of ridicule.

Also, there's not that much to actually talk about. We've known for a while that several militaries around the world have investigated UFOs, and so far nothing conclusive has come out of it. We know UFOs exist, but it's still unclear whether they are in fact vessels of another civilization or not.

There's a rumor on the internet that the leaders of the world are preparing for full disclosure: an official announcement that there is conclusive proof that some of these UFOs are indeed alien vessels. I'm not holding my breath though. And as fascinating as such a disclosure would be, it wouldn't change much, unless we have secretly achieved contact.

16 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Everyone is afraid of ridicule.

Also, there's not that much to actually talk about. We've known for a while that several militaries around the world have investigated UFOs, and so far nothing conclusive has come out of it. We know UFOs exist, but it's still unclear whether they are in fact vessels of another civilization or not.

There's a rumor on the internet that the leaders of the world are preparing for full disclosure: an official announcement that there is conclusive proof that some of these UFOs are indeed alien vessels. I'm not holding my breath though. And as fascinating as such a disclosure would be, it wouldn't change much, unless we have secretly achieved contact.

Yea, THAT would be big news.  But what has happened so far, with ex government officials admitting that there is some UFO related stuff that they've been unable to explain, doesn't seem like too much of a departure from the status quo to me.  If they had a more or less intact craft, some bodies, etc, that would be a pretty huge reveal too, but that's also been speculated on for a long time.  

Could be that the alien ambassadors were just getting ready to reveal themselves to humanity and welcome us officially into the galactic community, but then Trump got elected and they realized we weren't ready.  

1 minute ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Is there any reason to believe that this wasn't just a drone or something that was caught doing some off-the-books surveillance that the government doesn't want to cop to?

I don't know about this specific incident, but, imo, that kind of thing probably accounts for a significant amount of UFO incidents, with weird environmental or atmospheric quirks accounting for most of the rest.  Secret military/government shit that citizens or other folks not in-the-know witness remains unexplained because the government isn't going to admit to shenanigans and/or reveal to potential adversaries whatever experimental technology they are working on.  And anything related to experimental aircraft would be particularly hard to test without the risk that someone on the ground or in another plane might spot it.  That said, I don't doubt that there are some genuinely baffling cases but I think those are the exception rather than the rule.  

26 minutes ago, S John said:

If they had a more or less intact craft, some bodies, etc, that would be a pretty huge reveal too, but that's also been speculated on for a long time. 

There's this mention of mysterious metal alloys being recovered...

(from the NYT article)
Under Mr. Bigelow’s direction, the company modified buildings in Las Vegas for the storage of metal alloys and other materials that Mr. Elizondo and program contractors said had been recovered from unidentified aerial phenomena.

And Blumenthal (one of the NYT reporters) said on MSNBC that they hadn't been able to identify the alloys, which is intriguing.

In the end, it might make a significant difference for people who were not interested in UFOs up to now (I was so I can afford to act unsurprised) :P.

2 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

And Blumenthal (one of the NYT reporters) said on MSNBC that they hadn't been able to identify the alloys, which is intriguing.

Then they haven't let the right people look at this stuff. They should at least be able to find out what elements it's is made of. That kind of thing really isn't rocket size.

24 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Is there any reason to believe that this wasn't just a drone or something that was caught doing some off-the-books surveillance that the government doesn't want to cop to?

Mostly this:

The radio operator said, according to Mr Fravor: "Sir, you won’t believe it, but that thing is at your cap (rendezvous) point.”

Mr Fravor said: "We were at least 40 miles away, and in less than a minute this thing was already at our cap point.” 

Maybe there was a drone in 2004 capable of going faster than 2,400 MPH (though every craft that has been capable of going faster than that was rocket powered, and I'd be interested to know if a rocket-powered craft could rotate the way the object in that footage does). But that would be noteworthy too.

Or maybe there was instrument or operator error.

9 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

In the end, it might make a significant difference for people who were not interested in UFOs up to now (I was so I can afford to act unsurprised) :P.

It is intriguing to me regardless, but it'd be interesting to know if these alloys they found are small, twisted fragments of unidentified metal or something like metal panels that have clearly been fabricated - or even if 'alloys' might be a coy way of saying 'we've got one of these craft in a warehouse in Nevada.'  I guess what I'm saying is that if it's just some weird pieces of unidentified scrap metal, while I personally think that is interesting, that probably won't move the needle on generating a fresh wave of public interest in the subject.  

I'd be more concerned if it turned out that the "alien alloys" had been recovered by the new, internationally-funded eXtraterrestial COMbat organisation. I'm not ready to be eaten by Chrysalids just yet.

I'm pretty sure if we've made tentative contact with an extraterrestrial civilization then we're waiting until the end of Trump's term in office before we make any formal contact.  I can't imagine anyone at NASA, SETI, the airforce or anywhere else even hesitating before making that decision.

I like how UFOs appeal to both the extraterrestrial conspiracies and the secret government spying on citizens conspiracies.  The improvement in drone technology has really expanded the scope of paranoid speculation.  We need DNA editing technology to improve enough to where Big Foot can gain a second dimension of possibilities too.

(I did read the NYTimes articles at the weekend with some curiosity)

20 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I'm pretty sure if we've made tentative contact with an extraterrestrial civilization then we're waiting until the end of Trump's term in office before we make any formal contact.  I can't imagine anyone at NASA, SETI, the airforce or anywhere else even hesitating before making that decision.

There is a cartoon out there somewhere.

A couple of aliens are standing in front of Trump's desk in the Oval Office. The caption is "Ha ha. Very funny. Now take us to your real leader."

I am not in the US, do not watch reality TV, and though I knew Trump was a populist right wing candidate, I only started paying attention when he had success and was shocked at what a complete low life and bizarre person he was. When he was elected I felt it was like a Batman cartoon come to life with the villain leaving his Gotham city skyscraper for the White House. So, in short, I felt that nothing could surprise me and that the next thing on the cards was a spacecraft full of giant ants landing on the White House lawn.

So in short, if its to distract from concern about extra terrestrials, its a job well done.

Archived