Theory:Rhaeagar was blood raven's puppet

Varysblackfyre321

Let's look at the facts; Rheagar, who from all appearances looks sane.

He doesn't report of hearing voices, nor do we see him discussed as having a conflated view of himself by anyone who really knew him.

So for not for ego or insanity why'd he'd get fixated on the prophecy of the prince who was promised so much so he'd tear a country apart?

That he suddenly out of nowhere decide to become a warrior.

Targaryians usually fixate on dragons not legends that have fallen out of style with the local population.

So why did Rheagar did believe?

And how (it looks like Jon is the prince) could he be right.

Because Blood Raven revealed just enough to Rheagar to become obsessed with it.

Think of reed.

He didn't truly know what or why he was supposed to or going to do something, but he was fed enough by BD to get the boy to risk everything to deliver Bran to BD.

Their personalities are similar.

A sense of dreariness that permunates them.

Now Rheagar can just be a emo.

or he may very well be dreary because of the things BD showed him.

I made the same connection between Jojen and Rhaegar actually. But i didn't think it was Bloodraven, maybe just both have foreseen their deaths. Possibly Rhaegar had green-sight too and when he saw his death he realised he had to become a warrior. I guess seeing yourself die in combat would make it inevitable that you have to learn to use a sword. Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy though. I dont think Bloodraven controls greensight, didnt they say that one in a thousand people are wargs and one in a thousand wargs have the greensight too. Isn't that why Bran is special?

I thought Rhaegar was obsessed with the prophecy of TPTWP because of the woods witch that Jenny of Oldstones introduced to the Targaryen Court. She made the prophecy that TPTWP would be born in the line of Aerys and Rhaella. So their marriage was arranged based on that prophecy. And since Rhaegar was born on the same day summerhall burnt, he probably thought that meant he was the TPTWP. Until he saw his own death that is.

19 minutes ago, Nezza86 said:

I thought Rhaegar was obsessed with the prophecy of TPTWP because of the woods witch that Jenny of Oldstones introduced to the Targaryen Court. She made the prophecy that TPTWP would be born in the line of Aerys and Rhaella. So their marriage was arranged based on that prophecy. And since Rhaegar was born on the same day summerhall burnt, he probably thought that meant he was the TPTWP. Until he saw his own death that is.

Or Rhaegar sought out the Ghost of High Heart on his trips to Summerhall, exchanging songs for dreams where he learns that his son Aegon is the PwiP rather than himself.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:14 AM, Nezza86 said:

I made the same connection between Jojen and Rhaegar actually. But i didn't think it was Bloodraven, maybe just both have foreseen their deaths. Possibly Rhaegar had green-sight too and when he saw his death he realised he had to become a warrior. I guess seeing yourself die in combat would make it inevitable that you have to learn to use a sword. I would probably avoid combat if I was him then lol. Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy though. I dont think Bloodraven controls greensight, didnt they say that one in a thousand people are wargs and one in a thousand wargs have the greensight too. Isn't that why Bran is special?

I thought Rhaegar was obsessed with the prophecy of TPTWP because of the woods witch that Jenny of Oldstones introduced to the Targaryen Court. She made the prophecy that TPTWP would be born in the line of Aerys and Rhaella. So their marriage was arranged based on that prophecy. And since Rhaegar was born on the same day summerhall burnt, he probably thought that meant he was the TPTWP. It doesn't appear he was told about the witches prophecy. Until he saw his own death that is. By the time he died he'd moved the goal post from"itll be me" to "it'll probably be my son" 

On 19/12/2017 at 7:47 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Let's look at the facts; Rheagar, who from all appearances looks sane.

He doesn't report of hearing voices, nor do we see him discussed as having a conflated view of himself by anyone who really knew him.

So for not for ego or insanity why'd he'd get fixated on the prophecy of the prince who was promised so much so he'd tear a country apart?

I imagine he didn't really think he'd tear the kingdom apart. 

That he suddenly out of nowhere decide to become a warrior.

Being apparently so level-headed and dutiful, it must have been something powerful and convincing enough to make him change his path so drastically. 

Targaryians usually fixate on dragons not legends that have fallen out of style with the local population.

So why did Rheagar did believe?

As I said above, it must have been something that really convinced him he had to change direction, so to speak. The thing is, until we learn what exactly he read, we can only try to guess. Is it possible he misinterpreted the prophecy (or whatever it was that he read)? Hmmm. 

And how (it looks like Jon is the prince) could he be right.

Maybe he wasn't right at all, and that's just exactly how it had to be. Or not. ;)

Because Blood Raven revealed just enough to Rheagar to become obsessed with it.

Like what? Because to be honest w/ you, the whole "BR did it"/"BR skinchanged it" has become the lazy excuse du jour - or perhaps of the year/decade/etc - when people want to put forth an idea/crackpot but can't be asked to provide textual back up. :dunno:

Think of reed.

He didn't truly know what or why he was supposed to or going to do something, but he was fed enough by BD to get the boy to risk everything to deliver Bran to BD.

With his father knowledge and blessings. A father who is the one person alive who has had dealings w/ CotF and Green Men and all the rest. See where I'm going? 

Their personalities are similar.

Whose?

A sense of dreariness that permunates them.

Now Rheagar can just be a emo.

or he may very well be dreary because of the things BD showed him.

Like what?

On 12/19/2017 at 3:40 AM, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

When in doubt, Bloodraven did it.

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

When in doubt, Bloodraven did it. Exactly! And everyone is a targaryian lol.

Also, Benjen, Dario and Euron are literally everyone else in the series. The book only has 4 characters 

8 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I imagine he didn't really think he'd tear the kingdom apart. 

He just took the daughter of the most powerful families in Westeroes. The only logical course for the Starks to get Lyanna back would've been to go ask Aerys for Justice. Aerys would say no of course and overreact. Prompting a war. If he didn't know that just shows how fixated he is on fulfilling this propecy if he can't gage the possible/likely consequences for such an action. 

Being apparently so level-headed and dutiful, it must have been something powerful and convincing enough to make him change his path so drastically. 

As I said above, it must have been something that really convinced him he had to change direction, so to speak. The thing is, until we learn what exactly he read, we can only try to guess. Is it possible he misinterpreted the prophecy (or whatever it was that he read)? Hmmm. 

Meh, that assumes the story Barristan told Dany about how Rheagar decided to become a warrior after reading something is true. though that could be how it happened, maybe Rheagar did inherit some of the madness from his daddy and only really showed it concerning this prophecy. But if not mad I find it hard to swallow Rheagar wouldn't need actual evidence that the others were/are a thing and he doesn't so happen to coincendenly check off of the requirements for it before dedicating his entire life towards it.

Maybe he wasn't right at all, and that's just exactly how it had to be. Or not. ;)

Jon by all appearances looks to be Azur Ahai. Could be wrong, Dany is as a good contender but if he isn't I find it hard to swallow Rheagar got it right that he would sire the messiah. I mean the red priests who've shown to have Psycic abilities and doubtless spent years gathering anything they can on this tale are basically guessing on who exactly is Azur Ahai. But a 7 year old boy hits it closer to the mark after reading a book?

Like what? Because to be honest w/ you, the whole "BR did it"/"BR skinchanged it" has become the lazy excuse du jour - or perhaps of the year/decade/etc - when people want to put forth an idea/crackpot but can't be asked to provide textual back up. :dunno:

Visions of corpses walking around the dead of winter? I agree BR gets blamed for a lot of things that really have a more likely explanation but in this instance it sounds more plausible than most of the alternatives

With his father knowledge and blessings. A father who is the one person alive who has had dealings w/ CotF and Green Men and all the rest. See where I'm going? 

Whose?

Rheagar and Reed. How was I unclear?

Like what?

Dreary I said lol.

39 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Seriously though, I do think there's certainly more to Rheagar than having just guessed right.

Maybe, maybe not. The point is, until we know more about Rhaegar and whatever prompted him to do what he did, we can only try to guess. 

The man appears to have been genuinely obsessed with prophecy and actively trying to fulfill it. It also appears that he was liable to change his mind when he prophectic clauses were better filled by someone else, such as switching from him being TPtwP to his son. That is something which Aemon himself does — he now things Dany is TPtwP — and the clauses of the prophecy are something they discussed.

As to whether Rhaegar would have been receiving messages from Bloodraven, we can only speculate but it is possible. While we’ve had no indication of it in what we know of Rhaegar, it might even be that he had inherited some of the Blackwood “green” abilities? That could have made him more sensitive to BR’s calls. However, he mightn’t have known what they were, on the off chance he did have “the power”. :dunno:

Again, it’s just speculation and it’ll be hard to know because no one truly knew Rhaegar.

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Also, Benjen, Dario and Euron are literally everyone else in the series. The book only has 4 characters 

6 characters — you forgot Howland and Ashara! ;)

I thought bran told Rhaegar and Lyanna, both, that the survival of Westeros in the future depended on them having a child together, thus creating a song of ice and fire. I suppose BR also has access to the future and may have influenced past events to the end that there would be chaos and then Jon would correct the situation, along with Dany.

Archived