The Fionavar Tapestry optioned by Orphan Black production company

Werthead

Wow.  Still my favourite GGK book.  I've imagined adapting it myself, glad to see someone take a shot at it.  If it's not good, I'll just shrug and move on with my life.

So will Kris Holden-Ried take an acting role in it, in addition to producing?  I know his face, don't remember any particular role he's played.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Wow.  Still my favourite GGK book.  I've imagined adapting it myself, glad to see someone take a shot at it.  If it's not good, I'll just shrug and move on with my life.

So will Kris Holden-Ried take an acting role in it, in addition to producing?  I know his face, don't remember any particular role he's played.

He was the werewolf detective in Lost Girl, and one of Bo's love interests.  He's lovely.  He was also in The Tudors, as William Compton, and as a werewolf again in Underworld: Awakening, among many other roles.  As a Canadian actor it wasn't surprising to see him turning up in episodes of various Canadian programs like Murdoch Mysteries.

I've seen on twitter a suggestion of Kris Holden-Ried for Galadan.  Makes sense, from werewolf to wolf-lord.

To fan-cast a bit:

• Jaelle:  Karen Gillan
  • Jennifer Lowell: Rachel Hurd-Wood
  • Kim Ford: Tatiana Maslany
  • Ceinwen the Huntress: Katheryn Winnick

10 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I've seen on twitter a suggestion of Kris Holden-Ried for Galadan.  Makes sense, from werewolf to wolf-lord.

To fan-cast a bit:

• Jaelle:  Tatiana Maslany
  • Jennifer Lowell: Tatiana Maslany
  • Kim Ford: Tatiana Maslany
  • Ceinwen the Huntress: Tatiana Maslany

Fixed that for you. :)

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Jennifer is blond. Janelle is the red-head.

Clearly I need to reread.  It's been a while.  But it is Jaelle, not Janelle.

Katherine Winnick for Jennifer then.

I'm seriously thinking about creating a fan site to chart the development of this.  Living near Toronto helps with scoops I suppose, and makes interviews possible.

Right, Jaelle. Heh.

The main cast of characters are (almost) all college students or recent graduates. Paul was working on a PhD., IIRC, in the History department, Kim was an intern so I guess her last year of med school, Kevin is in his first or second year post-law school, Dave's still in law school, and Jennifer... well, Jennifer is really kind of vague (on purpose!) but I always saw her as a little bit younger than the rest. So mid-to-late 20s for the lot of them.

What you're going to get is a lot of pretty young 20-somethings.

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

Think it's time I read this. I think it's the only series of GKK I never got around to reading.

It's, er, very different. I got to them after reading TiganaLions and Arbonne and I found them almost unreadable. Kay grew as a writer a lot between these and Tigana, although I also have a problem with portal fantasies where the people from our world don't really freak out about what's going on. These guys, IIRC, took it implausibly in their stride.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's, er, very different. I got to them after reading TiganaLions and Arbonne and I found them almost unreadable. Kay grew as a writer a lot between these and Tigana, although I also have a problem with portal fantasies where the people from our world don't really freak out about what's going on. These guys, IIRC, took it implausibly in their stride.

I think the portal fantasy aspect of it was my least favourite part of the series. I found it a bit hit and miss overall, but I thought its best moments were as good as anything from Kay's later work. The 'High Fantasy' aspects of the series are very heavily indebted to Tolkien and Celtic Mythology but I thought it did a better job of portraying the wonder of the fantastical parts of the world-building than most post-Tolkien fantasies managed.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:40 PM, Mexal said:

Think it's time I read this. I think it's the only series of GKK I never got around to reading.

I love Fionavar.  But fair warning, it has very low lows, but it's highs... my word.  There are some scenes that are flat out better than anything else Kay has written.

Archived