Who would betroth their daughter to Gregor Clegane?

The Bard of Banefort

Tywin recalls not really knowing exactly how mad his dog was until the sack of King's Landing.  Gregor was already Ser Gregor at that point, and likely married.  He was 17, and had been knighted by Rhaegar Targaryan prior to the tournament at Harrenhall.  He would have been an in-demand bachelor before his reputation was sealed.

It's entirely possible his wives died in childbirth: Gregor's offspring aren't likely to be easy to produce. As a landed knight, Gregor isn't likely to have a maester in residence, compounding that problem. Apart from Ned's "dark whispers" there's no reason to assume he killed them.

If I were a matchmaker, the obvious pairing would be Brienne of Tarth. By sheer size she stands a better chance at surviving birthing his children, and her combat skills make her more likely than most to survive Gregor himself if his violent outbursts are actually the problem. Plus: imagine those children.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:27 AM, Nevets said:

Although I will admit I have similar questions when I read about, for example, the treatment by the Boltons of the residents of their land.  "Why hasn't everybody up and left already?".  It's probably because they don't really exist in the first place.

Why abandon a peaceful land?

I even forgot about Gregor being married but it's so early in the story and the author probably didn't still know how useless would it be if Gregor was a married man or not. 

Who would? Walder, someone who doesn't care about his daughter, a man with no other choice for this or that reason, and so on. How did Ramsay marry Jeyne? 

On 12/20/2017 at 11:12 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think the bigger question is how could he be on his 3rd wife and not have sired a son or daughter by now? Is the guy shooting blanks or he just killing them before that get pregnant?

Maybe some of each. We know Gregor is an opium addict; his size suggests there's something endocrinely wrong with him; it's even more clear that he's a violent, out of control brute who has no problem bashing women to death with little or no pretext. Whether any of his wives achieved pregnancy, I'd bet he managed to kill them well before they could come to term.

Why would any lord, after the first two suspicious deaths, give Gregor another wife? I think old Walder might; he had so many he didn't distinguish them as individuals anymore. But he let them live with him? Well, why not? He had the room and the income, and they might prove useful game pieces in future. Giving Gregor a Walda (or two) might get the Freys in good with Tywin Lannister. Speaking of which, maybe Tywin would command a minor lord to donate a victim, er daughter, just to keep Gregor "happy."

Walder's wives died so quickly because he was constantly "into" them, without allowing a proper interval for their bodies to recover after each birth. Childbirth in Westeros was hard enough and medicine very primitive.

22 hours ago, zandru said:

Maybe some of each. We know Gregor is an opium addict; his size suggests there's something endocrinely wrong with him; it's even more clear that he's a violent, out of control brute who has no problem bashing women to death with little or no pretext. Whether any of his wives achieved pregnancy, I'd bet he managed to kill them well before they could come to term.

Why would any lord, after the first two suspicious deaths, give Gregor another wife? I think old Walder might; he had so many he didn't distinguish them as individuals anymore. But he let them live with him? Well, why not? He had the room and the income, and they might prove useful game pieces in future. Giving Gregor a Walda (or two) might get the Freys in good with Tywin Lannister. Speaking of which, maybe Tywin would command a minor lord to donate a victim, er daughter, just to keep Gregor "happy."

Walder's wives died so quickly because he was constantly "into" them, without allowing a proper interval for their bodies to recover after each birth. Childbirth in Westeros was hard enough and medicine very primitive.

Well, if one thinks about it, a man of Gregor’s size should not exist, let alone fight or have libido.

From the Artistic License Biology section on Gregor Clegane on TV Tropes:

“From a biological standpoint, someone like Gregor should make for a terrible warrior. His insanely large size should make him incapable of being able to move under his own power and render him far more susceptible to crippling injuries. And yet, not only does he move faster than a man of his size should, but he does it while wearing armor so thick it probably doubles his weight. What's more, he seems to shrug off most physical attacks and it's implied he would have recovered from his fight with Oberyn Martell, despite being repeatedly stabbed in the joints, if he hadn't been poisoned. Also, if he really does have some extreme case of gigantism then he should suffer from decreased sex drive or outright impotence, but there's rarely a time when he isn't in the mood to rape and kill whatever poor woman who's unfortunate enough to be around him. In other words, this is another reason why Gregor is a monster, since, like most monsters, someone as terrifying as him shouldn't exist.”

We don't actually have any reason to assume that there was a father around to betroth his daughter to Gregor. He could as easily have married a widow or an orphan, a camp follower or a whore - life would not be easy for a woman alone in Westeros, and marriage to a 'protector' might be a preferable option. In fact there's no reason in the text to assume any of his wives were well-born at all.

Yes, a high-born wife might be an advanatgeous match for him, but it seems clear his priority is getting a son. It doesn't strike me as particularly coincidental that he has no sons and two dead wives... *cough* Henry VIII *cough*

Archived