College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

3 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

C'mon Clemson....for the love of God, it can't be UGA-Bama in the championship game....

Saban has had a month to plan while his team gets healthy.  There’s a reason Bama was a heavy favorite in Vegas.

I had doubts about Clemson as a contender and they proved that out last night. Watson made a huge difference on that team the previous two years. 

A lot of people are going to bitch about the SEC matchup in the title game, but at least it isn't a season rematch. Trying to think of teams who might have made a difference in the outcome of the semifinals. I think Wisconsin may have been a better team than Clemson but not sure they could have beaten either UGA or Bama. Penn St and Ohio St certainly had cases for inclusion, but both lost games they had no business losing in the regular season. 

Truthfully OU and UGA seemed like the two best teams in the thing, so maybe we got a de facto championship game in the Rose Bowl. 

We STILL need a larger playoff field. 8 teams would be perfect. That way UCF also would have gotten a shot.

Agreed on the 8-teams... but they'll need some stipulations if teams like UCF are to get in... I mean this year they were ranked like 12th or so in the final standings, so theoretically still wouldn't have gotten in if it was just the top-8.  (And I certainly believe they should have been in the top 8)

17 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Agreed on the 8-teams... but they'll need some stipulations if teams like UCF are to get in... I mean this year they were ranked like 12th or so in the final standings, so theoretically still wouldn't have gotten in if it was just the top-8.  (And I certainly believe they should have been in the top 8)

An 8 team playoff allows for Cinderellas.  I've always wanted a Quarter final/Semi final/final game set up.

25 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

5 conference champs, highest ranked G5 team, two wildcards. 

So this year would have been: 

Clemson, OU, UGA, Ohio St, USC, UCF, (Wisconsin, Bama). Throw all those into a bracket and it's a safe bet the "best" of the bunch will emerge on top. 

13 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Clemson, OU, UGA, Ohio St, USC, UCF, (Wisconsin, Bama). Throw all those into a bracket and it's a safe bet the "best" of the bunch will emerge on top. 

I could roll with that

Still feel like it makes the regular season meaningless.

Its taking a step too close to the college basketball model, and while I celebrate NCAA Tourney championships... in no way do I think it produces the best team as champion in most years.  

The advantage college football has is that every game in the season has weight.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I also think auto bids for champs are a ridiculously awful idea if the goal is the best 8.  We tried that before with the BCS system and you’d still end up with the occasional team that was gifted a spot due to winning their conference. If you go to an 8 team playoff and just pick the best 8, the majority of years you’ll still end up with the champ from each P5 conference but never have to worry about being saddled with a team from a conference in a down year or a team that pulls off a big upset in their conference championship game.

Archived