College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

A question for you fine folks.  I didn’t follow college football heavily until I actually was in college.  So maybe my history is colored by nostalgia combined by inexperience.

Have bowl games always been seen as meaningless exhibitions?

Or has the general expansion of the number of bowls combined with the advent of the BCS/CFP system made them that way more recently? 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, sperry said:

$20 parlay against the remaining 8 SEC bowl teams to lose straight up. Will pay $3800 and I'm feeling quite good about it.

Never pin your hopes on UofL.

I'm sorry but if UCF holds on to beat Auburn and finish at 13-0, it will invalidate the Nat. Champion playoff (which they are left out of) in my view. 

On December 31, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Rhom said:

Have bowl games always been seen as meaningless exhibitions?

No, definately not with older baby boomers from Northern states. Most of the folks from my parents age group view it as a really fun vacation to go to various warm weather bowls. I think the disinterest is probably with younger people and people already living in sun belt states.

Also as I'm pointing out in my first sentence, with a possibly undefeated UCF being left out, the Nat. Champion playoff will be no more meaningful than any other bowl game this year that pits top tier teams against each other. If Auburn cant defeat UCF "On The Field", then I have no basis to believe Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma or Clemson could either. Its worth noting Auburn beat Alabama, split with Georgia and only lost narrowly to Clemson. In my view if UCF beats Auburn today and has ran the table, a playoff without them in it is the meaningless game, not bowls that have 100 year traditions and are enjoyed by millions of vacation goers, albeit older, northern travelers, but fans nontheless.

Auburn going down today, im loving it.

Archived