SpaceX's Big Falcon Topic 2

SpaceChampion

Sounds like they lost the centre core though:

Next launch of Falcon Heavy this year in 3-6 months was going to use a new Block 5 version of the centre core, so it wasn't necessary to recover it, just a nice procedural proof.   Definitely prefer this over any other possible glitch.

27 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Forgive my ignorance as a young millennial, but what is the connection of Bowie and Adams to SpaceX?

David Bowie wrote the song Space Oddity and Douglas adams wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio serial and books. And shame on you as a young millennial for not listening to your elders and knowing more about both as they are classics of modern geek culture.

As Spockydog said, just an amazing video

18 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Forgive my ignorance as a young millennial, but what is the connection of Bowie and Adams to SpaceX?

Space Oddity was playing in the Tesla I believe.

16 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Don’t worry, it’s great to have some young people in here too.

Bowie made the song that they played during the fairing separation. It was supposed to be Space Oddity, but the song that they actually played was Life on Mars.

Adams wrote the Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, from which the message DON’T PANIC on the roadster’s dashboard was quoted.

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

David Bowie wrote the song Space Oddity and Douglas adams wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio serial and books. And shame on you as a young millennial for not listening to your elders and knowing more about both as they are classics of modern geek culture.

Can't say my elders were ever into either of those icons unfortunately. I have heard of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; one of my friends is reading it and offered to lend it to me once he is done with it, but I didn't realize Douglas was the author.

2 minutes ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

Don’t worry, it’s great to have some young people in here too.

Bowie made the song that they played during the fairing separation. It was supposed to be Space Oddity, but the song that they actually played was Life on Mars.

Adams wrote the Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, from which the message DON’T PANIC on the roadster’s dashboard was quoted.

Very cool, I will have to look up those songs and their lyrics. My dad is an engineer and he first got me into all the space stuff, but not the cultural aspect so much.

10 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Sounds like they lost the centre core though:

Next launch of Falcon Heavy this year in 3-6 months was going to use a new Block 5 version of the centre core, so it wasn't necessary to recover it, just a nice procedural proof.   Definitely prefer this over any other possible glitch.

So we should know around what, like 9-10 pm EST whether it survived the Van Allen belt and made the 3rd burn for the Mars-ish orbit?

11 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Also the drone ship, Of Course I Still Love You, is named after Culture spacecraft from Iain M. Banks' series of Culture books.

(also the first drone ship, Just Read the Instructions)

Archived