Soundtracks for Movies/TV Shows/Video Games

Corvinus85

42 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

You liked Blade Runner's that much? I'm biased because I think the original's score is among the all time top 5 classics (along with Conan, btw), and I found this one to be impossibly dull without anything memorable at all.

Even the part where they play music from the original? :P

I like many works from Zimmer, Shore, Poledouris (indeed agree that Conan is one of the best soundtracks here around), Elfman, Williams and a few others. That said, I also am of the opinion that Ennio Morricone is clearly the best of them all.

Though ironically, imho the best composer for soundtracks, which made imho the best soundtracks, was a genuine classical composer and is widely known for such music pieces, way more than for his very limited works with movie scores:

When it comes to video games, Elder Scrolls series is usually really good. WOW had some mediocre music and some awesome as well - not a surprise, considering the huge amount they had to do over the years. Planescape Torment, Max Payne and Deus Ex (original and Human Revolution) and Witcher series have great pieces.

Though, definitely, the greatest piece of video game soundtrack is the Aria in the Opera scene in Final Fantasy VI.

On ‎21‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 10:37 AM, polishgenius said:

word around the campfire is that Lucas had various thoughts in mind about Star Wars' music, including at one point just wanting to soundtrack the whole thing with The Planets, and Williams had to work around that.

Seriously? Very interesting, because the first time I heard The Planets, I actually suspected Williams was inspired by some, Mars being the most obvious.

14 hours ago, denstorebog said:

You liked Blade Runner's that much? I'm biased because I think the original's score is among the all time top 5 classics (along with Conan, btw), and I found this one to be impossibly dull without anything memorable at all.

Some of the booming sounds bothered me, but other than that I thought it was good. And I did say that these are out of what I've seen this year, so I can't think of another one I could put at #5. Maybe Dunkirk...

So I was thinking today about how all the sought after/big soundtracks of the 90s that we would never have ever thought would get a legit release let alone expanded releases keep getting, uh, released(everyone assumed The Goonies soundtrack had been lost forever, and i know the original tapes for Conan were lost for decades and then they found them in a vault, but I digress), I saw this drop today:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11294/.f?sc=13&category=22848

On 1/4/2018 at 0:03 PM, Isis said:

Having watched the whole of the Harry Potter series over the holidays I can't help but think how much better it would have been if a single composer had done the entire thing.

In many departments, I think HP series would benefit from being done from one team. Something like LOTR. I always hated the changes of style between movies. And Yates would have never been my choice for director of HP movies.

Back on topic, I really like Black Mirror music. It is always rather haunting. Which is truly appropriate for this TV show.

9 hours ago, Risto said:

Back on topic, I really like Black Mirror music. It is always rather haunting. Which is truly appropriate for this TV show.

Some of it is Clint Mansell. Not sure if all of it is though, as I haven't watched any of it yet.

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2017 at 9:58 PM, denstorebog said:

Just wanted to add that I'm totally with you on this one. I've listened to PD a lot lately, as well, and Joan Clayton is a standout piece for me too, but I suspect that that's mainly the case when you've watched the harrowing scene that the piece is made for.

Sorry to bump just to reply to this but I remembered it today because of a funny little thing that happened. Out walking the dog across the country fields listening to music. I have a lot of soundtracks as well as regular music, so Joan Clayton from PD happened to come on (side note: listening to it while walking the fields is quite lovely) and of course I get to thinking about thatscene, all very sad...and then it finishes and the following song is Burn the Witch by QOTSA :eek::P:lol: 

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently bought the soundtrack for season 3 of Outlander. Overall, it's not quite as good as the previous seasons, but it does have a few solid pieces worth listening too. My favorite is Wind & Rain which reminds me of McCreary's work on Black Sails. And speaking of that, it is very disappointing that to this day, only season 1 of Black Sails soundtrack was released.

• 3 months later...

Archived