Soundtracks for Movies/TV Shows/Video Games

Corvinus85

Because of the most recent discussion in The Last Jedi spoiler thread, I'm starting this thread.

I love this genre(s) of music, from the classical styles, to the more electronic/synthwave styles, but I claim no great expertise. Summon @Darth Richard II

So discuss all aspects of this. Your favorite composers, soundtracks, what styles you like, who is a hack and who is a genius....

Well, Tyler Bates is the king of hacks! Let me google...

Well poo, wikipedia wars have resulted in stuff being deleted, but this is from the article on the film

The score has caused some controversy in the film composer community, garnering criticism for its striking similarity to several other recent soundtracks, including James Horner and Gabriel Yared's work for the film Troy. The heaviest borrowings are said to be from Elliot Goldenthal's 1999 score for Titus. "Remember Us," from 300, is identical in parts to the "Finale" from Titus, and "Returns a King" is similar to the cue "Victorius Titus."[31][32][33] (see copyright issues.) On August 3, 2007, Warner Bros. Pictures acknowledged in an official statement: … a number of the music cues for the score of 300 were, without our knowledge or participation, derived from music composed by Academy Award winning composer Elliot Goldenthal for the motion picture Titus. Warner Bros. Pictures has great respect for Elliot, our longtime collaborator, and is pleased to have amicably resolved this matter.[34]

My all time favorite score is from a movie no one probably remembers who didn't grow up in the 80s: Return to Oz. David Shire did such a masterful job with that, I don't even know if I have words. It also got a complete 2cd release a few years ago, which was really surprising, I think most of us film music nerds thought it had been lost.

But to continue: My personal fave is Ennio Morricone. His is the very voice of God (to quote Amadeus, my all-time favorite movie). I'm thinking less his spaghetti western work than such later classics as The Mission ("Gabriel's Oboe," "On Earth As It Is In Heaven" etc. I am astonished at how he merges the 4 different tymphanic tracks in the latter and makes them all somehow work, and what this suggests about the films' theme. OMG),  Cinema Paradisio and my favorite, his score for the 1982 mini-series Marco Polo (that continues to kick the tush of the sorry lame-ass recent entity by that title.) THAT is *for the ages*. Interestingly he almost ended up scoring Titanic until Cameron decided he wanted a more modernist approach and went with James Horner instead.

PolishGenius, your comment about JW being an early victim of the temp-music curse is intruiging. Explain please? I know some people have criticized him for over-indulgence in "Mickey-Mousing" at times but as far as SW goes this has only helped rather than hurt the series. 

Somehow I don't think that's what your're getting at though. 

I'm pretty mainstream.

John Wiliiams is my favorite composer, my favorite scores of his in particular order are:

1. Superman
  2. Star Wars/Star Wars Saga
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones Franchise
  4. Jaws
  5. Jurassic Park
  6. Home Alone

I also love:

Jerry Goldsmith (Star Trek Franchise , I, V, VIII, Next Generation)

James Horner (Star Trek Franchise - II, III)

Henry Mancini (The Pink Panther)

Bill Conti (Rocky, Karate Kid)

Craig Safan (The Last Starfighter, Remo Williams)

Danny Elfman (Batman*, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas)

*Shirley Walker's revision of the theme for the animated series and most definitely the movie "Mask of the Phantasm" is wonderful as well.

I also really like the synthethizer soundtracks Vince Dicola did for Rocky IV and Transformers: The Movie

7 hours ago, Lady Of The Crossbow Inn said:

PolishGenius, your comment about JW being an early victim of the temp-music curse is intruiging. Explain please? I know some people have criticized him for over-indulgence in "Mickey-Mousing" at times but as far as SW goes this has only helped rather than hurt the series. 

Somehow I don't think that's what your're getting at though. 

Temp music is the practice of directors editing the film to music from another film. This can lead to them associating the scenes with that music and demanding that their own composer make the music sound like that. Which, if done too rigidly, can lead to plagiarism.

These days it is very common because directors can start editing rough cuts of scenes to music from the second they film it thanks to digital technology, but word around the campfire is that Lucas had various thoughts in mind about Star Wars' music, including at one point just wanting to soundtrack the whole thing with The Planets, and Williams had to work around that.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Temp music is the practice of directors editing the film to music from another film. This can lead to them associating the scenes with that music and demanding that their own composer make the music sound like that. Which, if done too rigidly, can lead to plagiarism.

These days it is very common because directors can start editing rough cuts of scenes to music from the second they film it thanks to digital technology, but word around the campfire is that Lucas had various thoughts in mind about Star Wars' music, including at one point just wanting to soundtrack the whole thing with The Planets, and Williams had to work around that.

The director of Star Trek VI also wanted to score that film with The Planets, although it shows a lot more in Trek 6(Not that it doesn't have a fantastic soundtrack).

There's also some instances of temp music being left in films by mistake or because the director has a hard on for it, but my brain is dead from lack of sleep and I can;t think of them off the top of my head.

Hans Zimmer all the way... His work is incredibly poetic and emotional and it brings gravitas to every scene. Lately, I have been inspired by his work on "The Crown".

I am also huge fan of Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, Immediate Music

I grew up with James Newton Howard's Howard Shore's score for "The Lord of the Rings" so it will always have a special place in my heart. John Williams is also someone whose work on Harry Potter and many other movies influenced me greatly. I also fell in love with Ramin Djawadi's scores on GoT and Westworld. 

Also, I am so excited about this topic. I always find out some new great things :D 

Archived