U.S. Politics NEXT!

LongRider

Not fake news.

WASHINGTON—In the wake of the $1.5 trillion tax bill’s historic passage in both the House and the Senate, GOP leaders reportedly celebrated Wednesday their decisive win over everyday American citizens. “This is a monumental victory not only for us, but for everyone struggling under the reign of the average American,” said Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, adding that party leaders made a promise to “take a stand against ordinary U.S. citizens,” before cracking open a bottle of champagne and proudly declaring that “today, we delivered.” “Of course, the fight against the people of this country is not yet over. We won this battle, but the war is still to come. However, if we carry on with the same vigor demonstrated today in our widely opposed tax overhaul, I know that we will prevail over Americans time and time again.” GOP leaders also expressed confidence that they would achieve another dominant victory over the American people as they push to close the deficit by cutting food stamp programs, Social Security, and Medicare.

https://politics.theonion.com/gop-leaders-celebrate-decisive-win-over-americans-1821450809?utm_content=Pol&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

23 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

When do have to pay homage to our libertarian overlords? Any word on that yet?

Now maybe your some average joe, and you voted for Trump cause your down on your luck. Maybe, you think those mean old liberals, don’t worry about your problems, and are allegedly doing too much identity politicy stuff, while forgetting about you.

Well, don’t worry, we got ya covered. So would ya dump Trump and give your libertarian overlords the fuckin’ boot already?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-get-american-men-back-into-the-workforce-1513538496

The U.S. has experienced a record 86 consecutive months of job growth. But some nine million men of prime age—that is, between 25 and 54—still are not working. Most have given up looking for jobs. Helping these men get back into the workforce should be a leading public-policy priority.

The GOP is using the problem as a pretext for cutting spending to help pay for tax cuts. Policy makers should start with the goal of getting people into jobs—not saving money. Accomplishing this will require more investments, including tax credits that benefit workers, removal of institutional obstacles to employment, and efforts to connect workers to jobs.

As soon as our libertarian overlords get over the hangover from all that fancy champagne that we happily paid for.    :cheers:

The tabs on us, huh? I've always said our overlords just don't get out enough to drink champagne on our dime.

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

The tabs on us, huh? I've always said our overlords just don't get out enough to drink champagne on our dime.

Dime?  Dude!  They charged us shiny half dollars this time round.   

10 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Accomplishing this will require more investments, including tax credits that benefit workers, removal of institutional obstacles to employment, and efforts to connect workers to jobs.

Investments?  Ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha haw!  The GOP and their lizard libertarian overlords do not do no investments.  They redistribute the cash upward to them from us peons below.   *investments* what was the author of this article thinkin'?

:rolleyes:

Investments?  Ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha haw!  The GOP and their lizard libertarian overlords do not do no investments.  They redistribute the cash upward to them from us peons below.   *investments* what was the author of this article thinkin'?

:rolleyes:

They do make investments in champagne, with our social security and medicare money.

Wait a minute, wait a fucking minute...

We all speculated about what promises might have been made to flip Susan Collins to a yes, and we all said she'd regret trusting ol' Turtle Neck.

Here we are not even 24 hours later and she's not present at the celebration ceremony in protest to having been screwed over. 

Did anyone put money on 'before it's signed' in the Susan Collins' regret pool? 

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

They do make investments in champagne, with our social security and medicare money.

I don't mean to mock you OGE as you posted the article in good faith.  It's just that there are many good articles out everyday with good analysis about so many problems and have good suggestions to go along with them.  I'm just weary of them because who listens?  Good and great suggestions go by the way side.  I don't really disagree with the idea of investing in what the author suggests.  But would the GOP ever consider investing in blue collar workers?  Ever consider spending some cash doing things that would really help the people who need it?  The answer isn't 'no' but 'oh fuck no' and that's where I just get tired and snarky.  

I don't mean to mock you OGE as you posted the article in good faith.  It's just that there are many good articles out everyday with good analysis about so many problems and have good suggestions to go along with them.  I'm just weary of them because who listens?  Good and great suggestions go by the way side.  I don't really disagree with the idea of investing in what the author suggests.  But would the GOP ever consider investing in blue collar workers?  Ever consider spending some cash doing things that would really help the people who need it?  The answer isn't 'no' but 'oh fuck no' and that's where I just get tired and snarky.  

It isn't about making GOPer listen or at least the the ones that can't be persuaded. It's more about liberals understanding the problems out that there, discussing issues, thinking about solutions, and then taking them and then jamming them up the Republican Party and the conservative establishments ass. It isn't about expecting them to do anything. Because they wont.  Its about preparing ourselves for the political battles that will come, unless we just want to throw our hands up and give up.

I largely feel, to some extent at least, we are at where we are at because conservatives, however we may feel about them, were very good at developing and promoting their ideas and going out and making the case for them, and being tenacious. Liberals need to do the same.

Meanwhile, in a civilized country;

France is to stop granting licences for oil and gas exploration as part of a transition towards environmentally-friendly energy being driven by Emmanuel Macron’s government.

Nicolas Hulot, the “ecological transition” minister said a law would be passed in the autumn.

“There will be no new exploration licences for hydrocarbons,” he told BFMTV.

The minister, previously famed in France for his environmental activism and nature documentaries, also outlined proposals to increase the taxation on diesel and to “make decisions faster” to curtail pollution.

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

Its about preparing ourselves for the political battles that will come, unless we just want to throw our hands up and give up.

I have to admit, that's where I'm at.

I largely feel, to some extent at least, we are at where we are at because conservatives, however we may feel about them, were very good at developing and promoting their ideas and going out and making the case for them, and being tenacious. Liberals need to do the same.

This is a very good point, and I now see your post in a different light, thanks for the answer.  And please Demo's, drop the 'better deal' crap, it's embarrassing.  

I have to admit, that's where I'm at.

I know. It can be very depressing at times.

When Obama got elected I thought we might see a big shift in the country’s direction. Needless to say, I was shocked by the Orange One’s election and how badly the Democratic Party got rolled up. And, you know, it was kind like “crap, what’s the point after all this.”

But, I just don’t like giving in to these jerkos.

36 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

Wait a minute, wait a fucking minute...

We all speculated about what promises might have been made to flip Susan Collins to a yes, and we all said she'd regret trusting ol' Turtle Neck.

Here we are not even 24 hours later and she's not present at the celebration ceremony in protest to having been screwed over. 

Did anyone put money on 'before it's signed' in the Susan Collins' regret pool? 

I checked Collin's twitter feed and no comments made today, perhaps she is in hiding.   hmmmmm

7 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Bear in mind that Macron's tax reform is a watered-down version of Trump's, and that his government is planning to make tuition fees about ten times more expensive in the next decade or so.
I wouldn't take his environmental initiatives at face value. Like, France will no longer grant licences for oil and gas exploration? But that won't stop the projects that have already been started. And since national production only represents about 1% of the French national consumption (according to the government's own website), it's pretty much a nig nothing, because French companies get most of their licences for exploration abroad anyway.
The good news is that there'll be no fracking on French territory, so that's at least something for French citizens. But don't be fooled into thinking that it does much for the planet.

Archived