U.S. Politics NEXT!

LongRider

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

I was going to write something like

Dear Rest of The World,

It's true we have lots of buffoons running around. And these buffoons even have their own party, aka "The Republican Party".

Not everyone on of us is a buffoon, or at least we try to make an effort not to be buffoons, which is at least better than the buffoons in the buffoonish party, who don't make one iota of an effort to stop being buffoons.

Please give us a little more time to deal with our buffoon problem.

Best,

'Murica

#NotAllMuricans

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter here about Trump's crazy interview with the New York Times. Here's a solid fact check of it:

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/29/574504669/fact-check-trumps-new-york-times-interview-on-russia-taxes-health-care-and-more

I think this is the most important part:

Only an autocrat would say the first part.......

It's not being an autocrat when the President does it. He's only torturing democracy if vital organs of government fail

Aaron Friedberg, a China scholar at Princeton University and former national security adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney, told me that Trump may have backed himself into a corner with his inflammatory rhetoric if he decides his economic isolation campaign has failed.

“Either the US is going to have to back down, and Trump will have gone out on a limb and the credibility of his threats will be diminished, or he is going to have to follow through” on the threat of a military intervention, Friedberg said.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/12/29/16829446/north-korea-china-oil-trump-sanctions

Trump’s strategy for dealing with North Korea is in shambles
Signs abound that his economic isolation campaign is failing.

Here's another blindingly stupid tweet.  This one about the post office, that apparently would do much better if they charged Amazon more.  Because of course there aren't other delivery companies that would be more than happy to fill the gap at a lower price if the USPS decides to increase their own price.  I thought this shitbag was a good businessman.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Here's another blindingly stupid tweet.  This one about the post office, that apparently would do much better if they charged Amazon more.  Because of course there aren't other delivery companies that would be more than happy to fill the gap at a lower price if the USPS decides to increase their own price.  I thought this shitbag was a good businessman.

Why would you think that? :P

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Why would you think that? :P

Should have written, "I think this shitbag tries to sale himself as a good businessman."  I know he isn't, but still.  This is third grader stupid.  

What else would be coming in the mail if it weren't for Amazon Prime?

5 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

"Firms that save money from the tax cuts may simply be unable to find more workers to hire at the price they are willing to pay."

I am I the only one who sees the problem with this.   Let's rewrite it "Firms that save money from the tax cuts may simply be unable to find more workers to hire at the price they are willing to pay.  because they want cheap temps or low wage flunkies with no benefits, no union and no way up the ladder.   Because they are cheap motherfuckers killing America." 

23 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I am I the only one who sees the problem with this.   Let's rewrite it "Firms that save money from the tax cuts may simply be unable to find more workers to hire at the price they are willing to pay.  because they want cheap temps or low wage flunkies with no benefits, no union and no way up the ladder.   Because they are cheap motherfuckers killing America." 

No it's a complete pile of crap. About as much crap as the "skills gap" meme that took hold a few years back with our so called business elites, when in fact a lot of businesses simply raised their job requirements during the Great Recession, taking advantage of the labor market slack.

I have no clue why businesses think they are entitled to more workers at the wages they want to pay, if workers think they have better options. Many business people, particularly the Chamber of Commerce Clown crowd will be the first people to lecture people about "economics", but then will complain when they don't like how labor markets function.

Also, I see the official unemployment numbers, but then I see the capacity utilization rate and know something is not quite right. And then, I know that people who became long term unemployed during the great recession are likely still having trouble getting back into the labor market, as the discrimination against the long term unemployed is well documented. And if you were older when the great recession happened, than you got a double whammy because of age discrimination. But, rather than spend money to help these people (and we would be helping ourselves as well), we've decided to hand out a trillion dollars or so to wealthy people. This nonsense of course is the courtesy of the Republican Party, the preferred party of clowns.

15 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Check out Sears Canada for a how to manual on corporate looting. The Sears CEO sells of bits of the company until it is no longer viable, pays out the money as special dividends, refuses to pay the money owed into the workers pension plan, and then puts the whole company into bankruptcy, laying off thousands of workers, with no hope of getting their pensions after years of working for Sears. 

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Check out Sears Canada for a how to manual on corporate looting. The Sears CEO sells of bits of the company until it is no longer viable, pays out the money as special dividends, refuses to pay the money owed into the workers pension plan, and then puts the whole company into bankruptcy, laying off thousands of workers, with no hope of getting their pensions after years of working for Sears. 

Ugh!  Sad to hear that from our neighbors up North.  The corporate rot is everywhere.  Sears used to be a decent store,but they have become such a crappy outfit for shopping I won't go there anymore, plus they bought and ruined KMart.   Such is corporate greed.    :angry2:

23 hours ago, maarsen said:

Sounds like we got a CEO skills gap. Wonder when the Business Clowntable is going to address this issue.

I've felt for awhile that a large percentage (possibly a majority) of CEOs and other C level executives are just parasites on their companies. Maybe I'm unduly influenced by my anecdotal evidence as a couple of companies I've worked for have been plundered by their CEOs, (although nothing beats the one where one year we didn't hit the target sales that would get the CEO a multi-million dollar bonus, so he took a loan for the same amount out from the company, to be repaid from the estate of either him or his wife, whoever died last. That company went under a few years ago after spending about a decade or more circling the drain) my relatives have also worked for execs who were some manipulative and exploitative pieces of work. Plus there was that whole study showing that CEOs are much more likely to be psychopaths than the average person.

And those that aren't thieves, psychos, or ideological nutbags, (which has been part of the downfall of Sears, the CEO was a Rand devotee who wanted to run the company according to her mind numbingly stupid principles) still work in a system where the best thing an individual can do is to make the company look good for somewhere between a few of quarters to a couple of years, (no matter how much that may undermine the long term health of the company) then be ready to jump ship with a golden parachute to the next company to rinse and repeat.

But then I tend to think poorly of the whole system for publicly traded companies in general, so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.

Eh, it's ok. He's got a very good brain, after all, and probably knows more about the disease than the doctors and scientists that study it, the same way he knows more about war than the generals do. I bet he remembers all the health notices from the late 80s (the time period he seems stuck in) so he's good to go, right?

And we can always have Pence lead us in prayer during faith healing sessions. He learned plenty about how important his faith is in combating AIDS in Indiana.

Ignorant scumbags.

Drunken Revelation by Trump Aide Reportedly Sparked Russia Probe

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/drunken-revelation-by-trump-aide-papadopoulos-reportedly-sparked-russia-probe.html

Dem senators fight to out-liberal one another ahead of 2020
A half-dozen Trump foes race to embrace the liberal zeitgeist, occupying space Bernie Sanders once had to himself.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/30/2020-liberal-democrats-trump-opponent-319239

Archived