Mystery Knights Still a Mystery To Me

aeverett

I get the basic concept of a mystery knight, but I don't see how one actually goes about being one.  In the Dunk and Egg novella, The Hedge Knight, Dunk has to go through a difficult verification process to prove his identity as a knight and that of Ser Arlan Pennytree, the knight who taught him and, supposedly, knighted him.  He also needed a new personal sigil for his shield, as he was forbidden to use Ser Arlan's, due to the fact that they weren't legitimate blood relatives.  Yet, in A Storm of Swords, Meera Reed mentions the Knight of the Laughing Tree and how his or her identity was never revealed.  I can't seem to reconcile these two ideas.  If a mystery knight must register for a tourney, how can there even be mystery knights?   Are some tourneys more open than others?  Are there certain events, such as jousting, where you can compete as a mystery knight, but others that you can't?  How is all this decided?  Really I'm floundering here.  Can someone help me out, please?

Depends on the tourney. The one at Ashford was "knights only" (that's why, presumably, Dunk had to argue his eligibility), the fella in charge of signups said this explicitly.

If the tourney is open, though, like Hand's Tourney or Harrenhal, they don't ask too many questions, at least until the contestant loses his first joust (and then it's "Hey, where do you think you're going with that horse and armor, homie?").

We learn from the strategy of Ser Uthor Underleaf that tournament officials can be bribed. Having someone vouch for you could also make it easier to enter a contest under a secret identity or assumed name, which is why so many participants at Whitewalls were able to use fake identities. The Knight of the Laughing Tree may have been a highborn person who was able to enter the tournament at the last minute by paying some bribes and getting known, respected people to vouch for his (or her!) identity.

Dunk didn't have cash for bribes; maybe he didn't even know that was an option. He also didn't know anyone who could testify to his identity (or fake identity) because of his humble origin in Fleabottom and his isolated work for Ser Arlan Pennytree.

I think it's actually an important point of the author's intentions for Dunk that we have only his word to go on that he was knighted by Ser Arlan. No one can confirm or deny that the ceremony took place. It's a mystery whether he is a knight or not.

Archived