Actual vs fiction Ramsey attack

Alex Gu

In terms of winning the actual fight, yes definitely.  Getting away with it remains to be seen.  Rodriks force would've been spread out around all of Winterfell.  His 5-600 men would've had numerical superiority wherever they fought because Rodriks force was not mobilized to fight them, and by the time any realized what happened, there would not have been enough left even if they had mobilized into 1 force.  Not to mention the fact that Roose may have left his best fighters for exactly this purpose, whereas Rodrik may have picked up 2nd string.

9 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

In terms of winning the actual fight, yes definitely.  Getting away with it remains to be seen.  Rodriks force would've been spread out around all of Winterfell.  His 5-600 men would've had numerical superiority wherever they fought because Rodriks force was not mobilized to fight them, and by the time any realized what happened, there would not have been enough left even if they had mobilized into 1 force. 

This, not to mention the fact that they were expecting them as friends.

9 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Not to mention the fact that Roose may have left his best fighters for exactly this purpose, whereas Rodrik may have picked up 2nd string.

But not this. Ramsay had a core of whatever garrison was left behind by Roose but most of his men would be newly gathered, as we learn from Lady Donella that he is massing men.

As to OP, I'm not sure what you meant. If you meant the consequences, then there are many survivors from Rodrik's army, surely some must have seen the Dreadfort banners when they were marching towards them and when the attack started. It is curious how no Manderly knights ever return to White Harbor to give a report or how no Cerwyn men go back to their castle and inform the maester so he can dispatch ravens but we have a boy survive and finds his way to White Harbor to tell the story. But this is fiction, so why not.

I've wondered this myself.  Ramsay was utterly loathed by more than 1 lord and after the Hornwood disaster he's declined even lower in their esteem.  Seems to me that as fierce and vengeful as these North people are, they would have rounded him up and had his head on a stake the minute he took off with Donella.   The Manderlys secured the castle, so what happened with the lady?  She wasn't worth securing?   Where did Ramsay take her?  Surely someone could have found him.  If not, the minute anyone realized Ramsay was involved in the Winterfell take over they should have hung him on the spot.   I have a hard time believing any local people would allow Ramsay to carry on.   It's not like Roose was totally on the Ramsay fan train.   He was telling everyone his bastard had bad blood at this time.   the point being Ramsay wasn't important to his father.   They could have killed Ramsay without any fear of recourse from Roose.   

11 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I've wondered this myself.  Ramsay was utterly loathed by more than 1 lord and after the Hornwood disaster he's declined even lower in their esteem.  Seems to me that as fierce and vengeful as these North people are, they would have rounded him up and had his head on a stake the minute he took off with Donella.   The Manderlys secured the castle, so what happened with the lady?  She wasn't worth securing?   Where did Ramsay take her?  Surely someone could have found him.  If not, the minute anyone realized Ramsay was involved in the Winterfell take over they should have hung him on the spot.   I have a hard time believing any local people would allow Ramsay to carry on.   It's not like Roose was totally on the Ramsay fan train.   He was telling everyone his bastard had bad blood at this time.   the point being Ramsay wasn't important to his father.   They could have killed Ramsay without any fear of recourse from Roose.   

The Wex story is utterly ridiculous, and if GRRM meant it was written, that was poor, poor writing.  The only logical story involving Wex that makes sense to me was that he was alone in WF after the Starks left and was thinking wtf do I do now?  He does not know the Cleftjaw has retaken Torrhens Square, and thus would not know where the boats are, as he would assume Dagmer and his men took them.  Plus it is virtually hundreds of miles to the ocean with no horse, no map, and Wex is a sailor not a woodsmen, how would he find his way?  Asha has Deepwood Mott, but that is through an enormous forest and again he would have no way to find it.  The only logical choice for Wex to make is to follow the Kingsroad to Moat Cailin where Victarion Greyjoy has thousands of men.  Since he can stay near the road he will not get lost.  From there he was likely picked up by a Manderly patrol, as surely Wyman would have had scouts watching the Ironborn.

Yah, that Wex bit is hard to swallow.  Still, like Ramsay surviving Winterfell, I chalk it up to fantasy and assume these fantastic events serve the overall story.  Wex was a thrall if I remember correctly.  Could be he wanted to escape his station in life in following Osha & Rickon.   Perhaps he planned to surrender himself to them or whomever they were supposed to end up with?  Westeros considering slavery an abomination and all that goes with that...Perhaps he meant to turn Osha and Rickon in to Dagmer or some outlandish thing.   Until Wex learns to properly write we may never know...Perhaps the Manderlys don't actually believe Wex and that's why they, the sailors of the North, would send a Stormlands smuggler to get Rickon?   Sending Davos doesn't really make sense either.   

5 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

The Wex story is utterly ridiculous, and if GRRM meant it was written, that was poor, poor writing.  The only logical story involving Wex that makes sense to me was that he was alone in WF after the Starks left and was thinking wtf do I do now?  He does not know the Cleftjaw has retaken Torrhens Square, and thus would not know where the boats are, as he would assume Dagmer and his men took them.  Plus it is virtually hundreds of miles to the ocean with no horse, no map, and Wex is a sailor not a woodsmen, how would he find his way?  Asha has Deepwood Mott, but that is through an enormous forest and again he would have no way to find it.  The only logical choice for Wex to make is to follow the Kingsroad to Moat Cailin where Victarion Greyjoy has thousands of men.  Since he can stay near the road he will not get lost.  From there he was likely picked up by a Manderly patrol, as surely Wyman would have had scouts watching the Ironborn.

16 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Ramsay wasn't known until recently. Roose kept him out of sight until Domeric died and even after that he was an unknown, Donella Hornwood have heard some stories, but Hornwood lands share borders with Bolton lands. When Manderlys secured the castle Donella was already dead.

4 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Ramsay wasn't known until recently. Roose kept him out of sight until Domeric died and even after that he was an unknown, Donella Hornwood have heard some stories, but Hornwood lands share borders with Bolton lands. When Manderlys secured the castle Donella was already dead.

Lady Barbary Dustin is Domeric's aunt.  She suspected Ramsay of killing Domeric from the 1st. That's a couple of years and at least 4 houses who had reason to know and hate Ramsay.  

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Lady Barbary Dustin is Domeric's aunt.  She suspected Ramsay of killing Domeric from the 1st. That's a couple of years and at least 4 houses who had reason to know and hate Ramsay.  

Yes, but all after Domeric's death because until then he was hidden from the world, staying in the mill and only causing trouble in Roose's lands with Reek v1.0

Archived