Why did Humans create States?

Ser Scot A Ellison

14 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Would be cool to see someone ride into battle on one though.  A llama could probably bear a lightly armored little person into the fray.

They would also have been breed into larger animals if they were going to be used that way.  The really sad part is that the Aztecs had wheeled toys but never thought to make wheeled carts.  All the pieces were there to make North and South American civilizations able to compete technologically with European invaders they just never came together.

On 28/12/2017 at 4:01 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That is where I'd like this discussion to go.  Can human's move past the State?

I think they certainly can, because in the long-run our modern states can only be weakened by globalization. But it's a type of social organization that is incredibly resilient, no doubt because it is deeply rooted in human history. At the same time, the State has evolved so considerably that I'm not even sure how you define it.
I'd say before humans move past the State, it will become barely recognizable. Nowadays, states have lost much of their power over economics. If the trend continues, it could turn states into empty shells.

Archived