What good can come from Dany coming to win back her family's throne?

Varysblackfyre321

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Look I actually really do dig Dany, I think she's a charming, smart and generally a sweet young girl and has done nearly everything she could have done to stabilize her rule without conquering the rest of SB. But what good can come from her conquest of westeros?

Not much. Her war would destabilize all of Westeros. And even after her conquest, she would need to uproot rebels and dissidents. And on top of it all, she can’t have children. This means when she dies, a war of succession would start all over again.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Look I actually really do dig Dany, I think she's a charming, smart and generally a sweet young girl and has done nearly everything she could have done to stabilize her rule without conquering the rest of SB. But what good can come from her conquest of westeros?

Get Cersei off the throne? Reinstate Taco Tuesday? The possibilities are endless!

12 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Not much. Her war would destabilize all of Westeros. And even after her conquest, she would need to uproot rebels and dissidents. And on top of it all, she can’t have children. This means when she dies, a war of succession would start all over again.

That is certainly up for debate:

“When she brought her fingers to her face, she could smell the blood on them. Am I dying? Then she saw the pale crescent moon, floating high above the grass, and it came to her that this was no more than her moon blood.”

“She was bleeding, but it was only woman’s blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that.”

So MMD definitely said she'd never have kids, but in ADWD we see her bleeding from the ol lady parts.  Now I am not a physician, but the uterus doesn't shed its lining unless it's in healthy kid-making condition. She herself thinks it's moon blood. The latter info implies it might well be a miscarriage.  It is certainly open for interpretation.

18 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Get Cersei off the throne? Reinstate Taco Tuesday? The possibilities are endless!

“When she brought her fingers to her face, she could smell the blood on them. Am I dying? Then she saw the pale crescent moon, floating high above the grass, and it came to her that this was no more than her moon blood.”

“She was bleeding, but it was only woman’s blood. The moon is still a crescent, though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that.”

So MMD definitely said she'd never have kids, but in ADWD we see her bleeding from the ol lady parts.  Now I am not a physician, but the uterus doesn't shed its lining unless it's in healthy kid-making condition. She herself thinks it's moon blood. The latter info implies it might well be a miscarriage.  It is certainly open for interpretation.

And sometimes miscarriages are fatal (i.e. The Mayor of Casterbridge). And sometimes miscarriages lead to infertility.

18 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Correct but literally nothing in the text supports the definitive claim "she cannot have children."

Guess we’ll find out... eventually. 

Or maybe now she can’t have children? Or Daario is infertile?

And I like the Taco Tuesday joke.

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I always cringe a little at this deduction, because girls... I mean women can have irregular periods, especially in the earlier years when her reproductive systems is kicking into gear. There's also a variety of reasons why a woman would miss a period or two, two of the popular ones being stress and diet.

Does GRRM know the ins and outs of menstrual cycles? No, most likely not. He doesn't even know the basic developmental milestones of children, which applies to both sexes. He probably also doesn't know that a woman's uterus can line and shed said lining monthly even if an ovum (egg) is not being released by whichever ovary is releasing that month (they alternate). (My parents made me read a very detailed book about "the changing body" at like 12 or 13 and I retained all the information from both sexes. I feel like it was well-written considering I remember it all! :lol:)

She has visions of Jorah who reminds he what she is rather than who she is trying to be in Meereen. "Dragons don't plant trees." I think these details can also be used to suggest a symbolic rebirth of Daenerys; her natural cycle was disrupted as she worked to end slavery and bring peace to Slaver's Bay and, specifically, Meereen. Dragons don't plant trees, they burn. The methods she used is contrary to her nature as a "dragon" of House Targaryen, especially when she compromises her terms, ideas, and beliefs in order to bring about the objectives she strives for. Compromising does not sit well with Daenerys. She sees how her compromises ultimately failed when she is attacked at the very fighting pits that she had preferred to keep closed forever.

But.. again, GRRM probably doesn't know any of this about women's parts. So perhaps he did mean for this to indicate fertility, even if its operating on misinformation. You'd think his wife would point these kinds of things out to him!

I bet all the Tacos next Tuesday that GRRM knows plenty about the maturing body.   He's a lot of things but he doesn't just throw darts and guess at things.   We are told repeatedly that Dany can't have children.  We have to read Darrio sex and Hizdar sex and dream sex with both of them.   We are supposed to think macho Daario has plenty of strong little swimmers who could make that win if only there was an egg!   Bah, pregnancy happens when it happens.   Some folks catch cold every year and some only catch it once.   We are being set up, friends.   Martin is trying to pull a fast one on us.   

What good could come from a Targ on the IT?   Well, this feudalism is all Westeros seems to know and the Targs were in charge for a long time and did a lot of good that also lasted a long time.   She could restore the Red Keep to better more fearsome decor.   Dragon skulls are so much cooler than lions eating stags.   She could bring the Dothraki and Unsullied and Mother's Men to repopulate the Riverlands.   She could topple high lords from their high stations.  That's about it.  I got nothing else, but I'm sure Martin will be there to trick me if I do think up anything else. 

Given that Daenerys's conquest will likely involve her unleashing her dragons on the continent to force people to bend to her will, I do not foresee her entrance to the Westerosi political stage bringing anything good.

Whether Dany can have children or not, it doesn't matter. Even if she makes a great queen her son or daughter could be Joffrey II or Aerys III and ruin everything, bringing instability to the land and with the risk of that useless brat having three dragons to just burn everyone he or she doesn't like. Same case with pretty anyone who gets on the Iron Throne.

If she still believes that she can never have children, something that I can picture her doing is destroying Feudalism in Westeros and creating a council to rule and create new rulers. Also in Meereen she showed that she always would listen to the people and do things for the greater good like locking up her dragons after the death of Hazzea. She would be a better leader than Cersei, Robert, Joffrey, Stannis, Tywin, Renly, Balon, Euron, and even Robb. 

2 hours ago, Faera said:

Given that Daenerys's conquest will likely involve her unleashing her dragons on the continent to force people to bend to her will, I do not foresee her entrance to the Westerosi political stage bringing anything good.

Whether Dany can have children or not, it doesn't matter. Even if she makes a great queen her son or daughter could be Joffrey II or Aerys III and ruin everything, bringing instability to the land and with the risk of that useless brat having three dragons to just burn everyone he or she doesn't like. Same case with pretty anyone who gets on the Iron Throne.

Except Taco Tuesday

I'm on board with @Universal Sword Donor that Taco Tuesday is a fairly strong, and perhaps the only, pro-Danerys conquest of Westeros argument.  I wouldn't hand nuclear weapons to any 15 year old, so a pissed off self-righteous and entitled Danerys coming over to Westeros with Dragons just sounds like a terrible idea to me no matter what the context.  I imagine her rule would end up looking a lot like the southern United States during the reconstruction era.  Probably the thing we should root for is for her not to show up until 90% of the population is wiped out by the Others and the pending war for the Iron Throne with Aegon, then she can essentially start carte blanche with her ideals of fairness of justice and free tacos for everybody.

10 hours ago, Bloodstone Emperor said:

If she still believes that she can never have children, something that I can picture her doing is destroying Feudalism in Westeros and creating a council to rule and create new rulers. Also in Meereen she showed that she always would listen to the people and do things for the greater good like locking up her dragons after the death of Hazzea. She would be a better leader than Cersei, Robert, Joffrey, Stannis, Tywin, Renly, Balon, Euron, and even Robb. 

While there are no perfect rulers out there, yes, she is a better leader than Cersei, the late Robert, Joffrey, Stannis, Tywin, Renly, Balon, Euron, Jon, and Robb.  I will even say better than Aegon (young Griff). 

18 minutes ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

While there are no perfect rulers out there, yes, she is a better leader than Cersei, the late Robert, Joffrey, Stannis, Tywin, Renly, Balon, Euron, Jon, and Robb.  I will even say better than Aegon (young Griff). 

LOL

Very few people in that list actually ruled. Then you have the fact that despite danny's good intentions she has slowly failed in mereen and has been going back on her first decisions (kind of like trump lol).

She tried to make mereen live with her morals instead of the morals of the mereenese(?) and it basically failed. Besides a good heart and some slaver executions (and liberty for the slaves) there is little else good that can be said for her reign in mereen. While robert for exemple kept the 7 kingdmons at pease for 15 years and defeated a greyjoy rebelion. Tywin was a good hand of the king for 20 years... Danny simply doesn t have this corriculum.

I don't really see why she is better than anyone else. Oh sure, better than Jofferry or the Mad King, but not as better as most people think. She's a naive, she's a foreigner, she's prone to be over zealous in prosecution of her version of justice, she is bringing with her weapons of mass destruction that can burn entire armies and melt castles, and if she recruits a Dothraki Kal then she is also bringing with her a horde of plains nomads who will likely be screwing up Westoros for generations afterward.

I'd rather just keep Tommen on the the throne or see Stannis win it.

16 minutes ago, Sourjapes said:

I don't really see why she is better than anyone else. Oh sure, better than Jofferry or the Mad King, but not as better as most people think. She's a naive, she's a foreigner, she's prone to be over zealous in prosecution of her version of justice, she is bringing with her weapons of mass destruction that can burn entire armies and melt castles, and if she recruits a Dothraki Kal then she is also bringing with her a horde of plains nomads who will likely be screwing up Westoros for generations afterward.

I'd rather just keep Tommen on the the throne or see Stannis win it.

Amen.

20 hours ago, divica said:

She tried to make mereen live with her morals instead of the morals of the mereenese(?) and it basically failed. Besides a good heart and some slaver executions (and liberty for the slaves) there is little else good that can be said for her reign in mereen. While robert for exemple kept the 7 kingdmons at pease for 15 years and defeated a greyjoy rebelion. Tywin was a good hand of the king for 20 years... Danny simply doesn t have this corriculum.

Preach.

Archived