Incest Abominations and the Night King

aeverett

I recently heard a theory that the Night King can only turn incest-born people into White Walkers, while any dead body can be a wight.  This was why Craster's sons were so necessary to the Night King, and would put Dany at unique risk, as both she and her parents were products of incest.  

At first I was skeptical, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  After all, in Westeros, and beyond the Wall, the people that get the greatest punishment for incest are the children born from it, not their parents who actually broke the taboo.  Jaime even says that if he acknowledged his children with Cersei they'd all be stoned to death in the streets, yet Jaime and Cersei would only face something like what Loras Tyrell faced for his homosexual relationships.  This got me thinking; what if this hatred of incest was a hold over from the last Long Night?   What if the reason the children are specifically singled out for execution for something they had no control over was due to the risk they posed to the wider society if the Night King ever rose again?  The purpose of the law was lost, but the practice remained.  

What do you all think?  I'm not completely convinced, and I'd like to see what others think.  Am I missing something?  

6 hours ago, DJ Jazzy Joff said:

Do you have a link to the original theory?

Both part one and two are excellent theory videos, but it's Part 2, starting at 6:39 that gets into the idea that incest born children are what George RR Martin was referring to in his earlier drafts of A Song of Ice and Fire in regards to the 'Neverborn'.  According to the theory, this term didn't mean that the person or being wasn't born, only that they should never have been born as their existence offends the gods due to the incest thing, and makes them prime candidates for White Walker conversion.  The earlier video speaks of Craster being unique, so only his incest-born children would do, but my idea is that it might not be only Craster's sons, if originating from incest is the key issue.  After all, incest is really despised in the 7 kingdoms, and the children, not the parents, get the worst punishments.  There has to be a reason for that.  

Thank you for providing the link!   I've yet to watch, but I do like the idea behind the "Neverborn", and children paying the ultimate price for their parents' "abomination".   This makes me question if this is the reason that the Targaryens stayed out of the North for the most part since the Conquest - too much risk as half the bloodline at any given point is rife with contamination.   Interesting line of thought; I'm sure I will have more comments after viewing the video.

Archived