Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

Looking forward to watching Netflix's La Mante (The Mantis) - French Female Serial Killer Drama

a new Netflix original series that puts a fresh spin on the serial killer thriller.

https://decider.com/2017/12/29/netflixs-la-mante-is-a-french-female-serial-killer-drama-that-will-haunt-your-dreams/

Did anyone else catch the King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 8PM Saturday movie on HBO?... I wisely didn't pay to see it in the theaters, but since we're going out New Years, we stayed in and watched.... Holy shit what a nonsensical disaster... This is among the worst things I've ever seen, including retina surgery on the discovery channel.... I would actually rather watch 1970's home movies of my fat Uncle Anthony teaching my now-grown-up-and-in-jail cousin to ride a bike... it's like visually stepping on a Lego in the middle of the night when you have to get up to pee... if it's a choice between this, or a face full of battery acid, you should weigh both options..... Indeed, a cacophonous cluster fuck. ... An incoherent, hackneyed jambalaya of detached-from-reality utterances  ... Entertaining, in a stomach flu kind of way.

If you haven't yet gathered, I was not fond of this one

23 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

If you haven't yet gathered, I was not fond of this one

I think I posted my thoughts about it in the last thread (or the one before it), I liked a few bits from it, but overall it was as shitty as everybody had said it was.

Finally getting around to watching Sneaky Pete.  Started this with my ex while we were still together but only got through the first three episodes or so.  Liking this show a lot.  There are some great twists and turns toward the end of the season.  Got an episode and change left and am definitely going to finish it tonight.

Saw The Disaster Artist earlier tonight, loved it. Funniest film I’ve seen this year. James Franco is having a good year between this and The Duece. I was surprised how good Dave was too. 

Bought Wind River on Blu-ray getting ready to rewatch it (saw it when it was in theaters). 

Watched Lion, released last year. Stunning film. I knew I'd like it and had been saving it up but when I finally watched it this week I was just bowled over by what an amazing story this is. Really an emotional film this. 9 out 10 stars.

Also watched Martin Scorsese's Silence. I'd read some less than stellar reviews but in my view this is a worthwhile film that I will remember. Adam Driver and Andrew Garfield, both of these guys have been on a tear with their recent films and are two of my favourite young actors at work. Liam Neeson's role is short but very solid as always. No complaints really, it didn't push buttons the way "Lion" did but well above average, 8 stars out of 10.

Finally, also saw American Pastoral with Ewan McGregor in yet another great role. Sad film, well made, worth seeing. 7.5 stars out of 10.

Raced through American Vandal, which I thought was far more enjoyable than I would have expected, and managed to be a clever subversion of the current trend in Serial style documentary making as well as a pretty amusing comedy. It also mixed in likable and believable characters and kept me rather hooked. I even felt satisfied by its ending, which, while not totally shut closed, did allow me to go away open to watching a new series, but not beholden to doing it.

There appear to be some promising series coming up, at least in the UK.  See an overview here, complete with links to more info:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-12-30/which-new-show-are-you-most-looking-forward-to-in-2018/

McMafia, Discovery of Witches and Britannia are three of which I am looking forward to (guardedly, of course -- look at the tedious mess that is Knightfall on the History Channel) showing up sometime in the USA.

I binged American Gods and really enjoyed it.  I posted a fuller summary of likes and dislikes in the dedicated thread. 

I finally finished The Americans S4, which just felt like a grind.  Not sure if I want to watch S5 after hearing it drops off in quality, with S4 the supposed peak. 

Currently watching Black Sails S4, up to ep 5 now.  I’ll stick with it because it’s the concluding season but this season, amd all the earlier ones, are bogged down by pompous monologues from every character.  I think the writers are far too in love with their imagined powers of rhetoric.  

On 29/12/2017 at 2:39 AM, Tywin et al. said:

@Nictarion

They’re absolutely Christmas movies. The plots can’t  function without the holiday.

And the fact that you can watch them outside of the holiday is why they are the superior films. They transcend Christmas.

Eh, the jokes lose their impact after the second or third viewing for me. I like the movie, it’s my favorite in the series, but I can only watch it every few years at most. Die Hard, on the other hand, is a movie I’ll always stop on when flipping through the channels in search of some mindless entertainment.

You are joking about Die Hard right? I watched that for the first time this Christmas Eve and it was god awful. So bad! This movie may have been good once but it definitely does not hold up now. 

Been watching Homeland lately, up to season five now. I think I've come to this late? Either way I think this is probably one of the better shows to have come out in recent times. Really excellent acting. I've never truely hated main characters so much but still wanting them to succeed.

I watched the pilot of the upcoming Showtime series, The Chi, about a cast of characters in inner city Chicago. It was very good. This series has some great potential. I got some The Wire vibes from it.

48 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I think this show is pretty genius.  The skewering aspect is great but so is the cast of characters that they assemble.  So bingeable.

I've seen the first four of the new Black Mirror season and will finish the other two soon.

Have seen in theaters lately:  Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Three Billboards, Last Jedi, and Shape of Water.  

Debating whether or not to give Mr. Robot season 3 a chance.  A few reviews said that it was too bad that a lot of people bailed after season 2 because 3 gets it back on track.

I've also noticed quite a few reviews for end of year lists say that Lost City of Z is great and has not received enough attention, so I do want to get around to that one.  

Mr. Robot S3 was excellent. 

14 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I'm starting the first afternoon of the new year off right:  having some beer and watching Dave Chappelle's two new comedy specials.

He lost me for awhile when his long chat about his transgender views went about 3 minutes past being interesting. That said, there were a couple bits that had me absolutely doubled over laughing. I enjoy almost everything about the man, and generally enjoyed both of the sets. There's no comic I would rather see in a small, intimate club. Apparently I went to Comedy Cellar in Manhattan last year all of one day before he made an unannounced appearance there. Damn!

28 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Maybe I need to give this one more of a chance.  I watched the 1st episode and thought it was as boring an hour of TV as I'd ever seen.  Perhaps just a slow start?

It all tells one story, so yes, it definitely starts slow and builds up to the final episode, where most of the action happens.  I agree the first episode wasn't all that amazing, but the show absolutely picks up and gains steam over the course of seven episodes.  

Archived