Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

6 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Agreed. I watched Bright the other day.  Sure, it was quite heavy on the allegory but I guess maybe I was lucky I didn't have any expectations, etc. going in?  I thought it was entertaining enough.

Yea, I didn't have any either. There was no characterization (except for Jacoby) and like 7 different villains but damn if I didn't enjoy myself.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea, I didn't have any either. There was no characterization (except for Jacoby) and like 7 different villains but damn if I didn't enjoy myself.

I was actually somewhat amused by the allegory: the lower class, thuggish orcs; the higher class, haughty "beautiful people" elves; the pesky nuisance pixies, etc.  I guess I was in the right mood:P  I'll check out the next one, too.

I went to see the Jumanji sequel tonight. I had no real desire to see it but I was invited by friends and it was a good enough excuse to get out of the house. At worst I thought I could sleep through it then go to the pub afterwards. My expectations were not high, is what I'm saying.

Actually it was a pleasant surprise. I mean, it was absolutely nothing to write home about but if all you want is a fun, cheesy adventure movie you could do worse. I've seen too many recent action blockbusters that were just so completely up their own arses that it was really refreshing to watch some mindless fun. And Jack Black was way less annoying than expected.

35 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I went to see the Jumanji sequel tonight. I had no real desire to see it but I was invited by friends and it was a good enough excuse to get out of the house. At worst I thought I could sleep through it then go to the pub afterwards. My expectations were not high, is what I'm saying.

Actually it was a pleasant surprise. I mean, it was absolutely nothing to write home about but if all you want is a fun, cheesy adventure movie you could do worse. I've seen too many recent action blockbusters that were just so completely up their own arses that it was really refreshing to watch some mindless fun. And Jack Black was way less annoying than expected.

Really? :ack: Maybe it’s just not my thing but I found it cliched and boring as hell. Bland characters, bland plot, bland villain, not even visually impressive. Kevin Hart was easily the best part of the film and even that wasn’t enough to hold my interest. 

This is why I don’t go to the cinema with people. I mean, I wanted to see Hostiles But somebody had plans later in the day and couldn’t fit it into their schedule :rolleyes: 

i May just be bitter because of the price of cinema tickets now. Damn losing my student status

eta: also Jack Black and the character he wasn’t playing were both incredibly annoying to me and probably the worst part of this awful film, closely followed by Dwayne Johnson

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Really? :ack: Maybe it’s just not my thing but I found it cliched and boring as hell. Bland characters, bland plot, bland villain, not even visually impressive. Kevin Hart was easily the best part of the film and even that wasn’t enough to hold my interest. 

This is why I don’t go to the cinema with people. I mean, I wanted to see Hostiles But somebody had plans later in the day and couldn’t fit it into their schedule :rolleyes: 

i May just be bitter because of the price of cinema tickets now. Damn losing my student status

eta: also Jack Black and the character he wasn’t playing were both incredibly annoying to me and probably the worst part of this awful film, closely followed by Dwayne Johnson

Probably a combination of extremely low expectations and being truly sick of recent blockbusters trying to be all serious, epic and portentious. I totally get why you may hate it and I definitely don't want to oversell it. It is very predictable, by-the-numbers and full of cliches, but for a lazy sunday afternoon I found myself mindlessly enjoying it.

1 hour ago, Liffguard said:

I really enjoyed it. Another one of those movies that I had pretty low expectations and found myself massively entertained throughout. It didn't take itself serious and that worked.

30 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That's Future President Dwayne Johnson to you.  :lol:

We added Falling Water this week.... its on Saturday Nights, so we'll catch it on demand... 

Damnation ends this week, and we were really happy with it... as does the Runaways....  Wednesdays is our big night, with X files, Vikings, Knightfall, and Happy!

It was freezing this weekend in NJ.... So we binged S2 of Travelers, which we really really liked... and we've started Manhunt: Unabomber... which is also pretty good

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

We added Falling Water this week.... its on Saturday Nights, so we'll catch it on demand... 

I started that first episode last night, and immediately turned it off after realizing that I didn't remember one single thing about the first season (other than a few random scenes).

Finished binging season two of Ash Vs Evil Dead.  It was a significant upgrade over the first season, and basically great from start to finish.  It felt like it captured the humor and ridiculous gore from Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness much better than season one did.  I also think it really benefited from introducing a tangible demon villain in the second half of the season who was an actual character.  There's a two episode arc in a mental institution that's just incredible, and I loved the showdown at the end.  They also did a wonderful job of mixing up the scenarios from episode to episode, paying homage to a variety of different horror classics in the process.

Overall, just an awesome season of TV.  Unlike the first season, it just hooks you from episode one and never really lets up.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I started that first episode last night, and immediately turned it off after realizing that I didn't remember one single thing about the first season (other than a few random scenes).

This is totally fair... For the life of me i don't understand why a 10 episode show without one big name actor in it can take more then a year to turn over into a new season... its a decent show, with a good premise.... but its not like it set the world on fire in its first season creating great anticipation among the kind of people (like us) who are avid TV viewers... it barely gets mentioned here in this forum... I wouldn't be surprised if --for the reason you mentioned-- this is the last season... and it will be their own fault.

I watched End of the Fucking World.  Very good.  It's on Netflix, 8 episodes of about 20 minutes long so only a few hours of investment.  Pretty dark teenage coming of age comedy about a psychopath who goes on a road trip with a girl he wants to kill.  The ending was ambiguous enough that a second season might be possible.  Highly recommend. It starred Alex Lawther, the kid who played in the Shut Up and Dance episode of Black Mirror.  

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has anyone reviewed I, Tonya? I had no idea what it was until last night, but now I kind of want to check it out.

I really enjoyed it. Pretty entertaining look at Tonya Harding's life. 

28 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I really enjoyed it. Pretty entertaining look at Tonya Harding's life. 

Good to know. It wasn’t on my radar, but I noticed it got nominated for a lot of awards and it seemed like a decent premise.

Also, Margot Robbie :drool:

Archived