Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Good to know. It wasn’t on my radar, but I noticed it got nominated for a lot of awards and it seemed like a decent premise.

Also, Margot Robbie :drool:

We definitely enjoyed it. Actually, we've enjoyed almost all of the movies nominated that we've seen.

Call Me By Your Name was a great coming of age story that had it's moments of beauty.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was wildly entertaining with an interesting premise and a powerhouse performance from Frances McDormand. 

Lady Bird really resonated with me because of the time period that it happened. I wasn't a teenage girl in 2002 but I was graduating high school so I got a lot of the references. Plus it was really well acted and a very streamlined story without an ounce of fat (was around 90 minutes).

I, Tonya - pure entertainment and some great performances. Didn't say a whole lot about domestic abuse though.

Coco made us cry...

The Disaster Artist made us laugh...

Get Out was just clever...

I'm still itching to see The Shape of Water and The Post.

Flipped over to Alien 3 just in time to see Ripley's conversation with fucked up Bishop the Android where he's all oozy and shit.

I always feel frustrated at this movie. There's something there, Wes Craven was onto something. But it's just a mess!

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Flipped over to Alien 3 just in time to see Ripley's conversation with fucked up Bishop the Android where he's all oozy and shit.

I always feel frustrated at this movie. There's something there, Wes Craven was onto something. But it's just a mess!

Wasn't Alien 3 Fincher?

I got a weird question guys, and I'm just going to lay it out there.

I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave yet. Me and the BF kept meaning to get to it (we redboxed it like 3 times) but shit just kept coming up.

And now there ain't no BF no more and I wanna watch the damn movie.

Do you guys think I can handle it? I'm honestly concerned.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I got a weird question guys, and I'm just going to lay it out there.

I haven't seen 12 Years a Slave yet. Me and the BF kept meaning to get to it (we redboxed it like 3 times) but shit just kept coming up.

And now there ain't no BF no more and I wanna watch the damn movie.

Do you guys think I can handle it? I'm honestly concerned.

Please don't watch it if you are feeling down. Im very serious.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Please don't watch it if you are feeling down. Im very serious.

Yeah, see that's what I'm worried about. It's why BF and I never got around to it, I just haven't been in the best place.

But I mean I wanna see it. I know I'm gonna cry, but I wonder if I can hold my friend's cat and get through it.

I know this is going to sound weird but is it worse than Django as far as the actual abuse? I know there was a lot of humor overtones to lighten the optics, but that movie displayed a great deal of man's inhumanity.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, see that's what I'm worried about. It's why BF and I never got around to it, I just haven't been in the best place.

But I mean I wanna see it. I know I'm gonna cry, but I wonder if I can hold my friend's cat and get through it.

I know this is going to sound weird but is it worse than Django as far as the actual abuse? I know there was a lot of humor overtones to lighten the optics, but that movie displayed a great deal of man's inhumanity.

Yes, very much so.

Look, it's really one of those films you have to see, but not necessarily have to love, but you have to be in a good state of mind. The movie just wears you down.

8 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I don't know if it's worse when it comes to abuse in terms of how graphic the scenes are, because the types of abuse the two movies focus the most are different. Both movies have some very difficult scenes. But 12 Years a Slave focuses more in general on the abuse that the slaves are suffering, without combining it with other plot elements, humor or action, like Django does. Plus the abuse happens to the central characters, while the worst of it in Django happens to minor characters and is only witnessed by the main heroes. 

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Yes, very much so.

Look, it's really one of those films you have to see, but not necessarily have to love, but you have to be in a good state of mind. The movie just wears you down.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a pass tonight. Maybe I'll watch something light like Hardball.

I put 12 Years a Slave in the same category as Requiem for Dream and Silence, great films that I don’t particularly want to revisit anytime soon. If you’ve seen either of the other two that might help explain how you’ll probably feel after watching 12YaS. 

A24 continues to be hit or miss for me as far as their more artsy stuff goes. Just watched A Ghost Story, and I didn’t care for it. Seems like something that should have been made into a short film instead of feature length. I did like the music though.

Speaking of A24, I just finished The Killing of a Sacred Deer a few minutes ago and that is one fucked up movie. I avoided all spoilers and didn't know too much about the plot, besides seeing the trailer once or twice months ago, so I didn't know what to expect... and damn. It started out as like a weird black comedy and it just spirals into the madness that is the third act. 

The cast was really good, especially the performance by Barry Keoghan who outshines the likes of Kidman and Farrell. His portrayal of Martin is one of the most chilling I've seen in some time. I seriously want to know if he's normal in real life. 

It's a dark and bleak movie and I have to let it sink in for a bit but I'd recommend it.

16 hours ago, Mexal said:

We definitely enjoyed it. Actually, we've enjoyed almost all of the movies nominated that we've seen.

Call Me By Your Name was a great coming of age story that had it's moments of beauty.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was wildly entertaining with an interesting premise and a powerhouse performance from Frances McDormand. 

Lady Bird really resonated with me because of the time period that it happened. I wasn't a teenage girl in 2002 but I was graduating high school so I got a lot of the references. Plus it was really well acted and a very streamlined story without an ounce of fat (was around 90 minutes).

I, Tonya - pure entertainment and some great performances. Didn't say a whole lot about domestic abuse though.

Coco made us cry...

The Disaster Artist made us laugh...

Get Out was just clever...

I'm still itching to see The Shape of Water and The Post.

Of all the movies you listed, Get Out is the only one I’ve seen (and I loved it), but I do want to see the rest too. Problem is I don’t think any one of them is worth seeing in a theater. So I’ll just have to wait.

15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I own Alien 3 and I’m still pretty certain I’ve never watched it start to finish. Same goes with The Godfather 3.

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I put 12 Years a Slave in the same category as Requiem for Dream and Silence, great films that I don’t particularly want to revisit anytime soon. If you’ve seen either of the other two that might help explain how you’ll probably feel after watching 12YaS. 

Yes, I recently watched Silence and the HBO mini-series Gunpowder and...

(Maybe kinda sorta spoilers for Silence and Gunpowder)

Spoiler

...the depictions of torture/execution were tough to watch in both.

...I will most likely never revisit either.

I binged the second series of (BBC America/Netflix) Dirk Gently. It really works for me. With the first season I lost time to adjusting to the deviation with my mental picture from the books. but I liked it in the end as well.

Watching the first series of iZombie, and it is interesting so far, but is at risk of being crushed by the need to put an overarching plot on a nice concept that doesn't really need it. Which is a common problem in my experience.

Since this is a really slow TV week, and we've already binged Travelers and Manhunt: Unabomber... and Phillip K Dick's Electric Dreams starts this Friday.... we decided to give End of the F***ing World a shot... only 8 short episodes... holy shit this is quirky and fun as hell...  I'm enjoying this a lot more then I thought I would...

55 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Since this is a really slow TV week, and we've already binged Travelers and Manhunt: Unabomber... and Phillip K Dick's Electric Dreams starts this Friday.... we decided to give End of the F***ing World a shot... only 8 short episodes... holy shit this is quirky and fun as hell...  I'm enjoying this a lot more then I thought I would...

As great as Alyssa and James were, I found the dynamic between Eunice and Terri to be hilarious.

Spoiler

When Eunice was trying to hint to Teri through facial gestures, I lost it.

I'm a few episodes into the documentary series Myths and Monsters with host Nicholas Day. It's worth watching for the artwork alone. The mythology and folklore is interesting. It's almost exclusively western mythology, however: Greek, Celtic, Norse, etc.

4 minutes ago, Astromech said:

As great as Alyssa and James were, I found the dynamic between Eunice and Terri to be hilarious.

Hide contents

When Eunice was trying to hint to Teri through facial gestures, I lost it.

Oh yes!  I want a season two just for that dynamic alone.  

Archived