Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm not sure how that's ok.  If you think all jokes about all people are somehow ok, you have some learning to do.  Just the few minutes I saw revealed an incredibly transphobic man who tells jokes that have real world dangers to people who are transgender.  Here's but one article for why his particular brand of transphobia is so reckless and harmful.  https://www.thedailybeast.com/being-transgender-can-be-funny-but-not-for-the-reasons-dave-chappelle-thinks

You don't seem to understand what im saying.

I said that I don't agree with you, but it is okay if we disagree. It is okay if you have a different opinion than I do.

If that is not enough for you, then that is not my problem.

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

You don't seem to understand what im saying.

I said that I don't agree with you, but it is okay if we disagree. It is okay if you have a different opinion than I do.

If that is not enough for you, then that is not my problem.

Sure, you can feel it's ok to be transphobic.  That's what the disagreement is about.  But just because you think it's ok doesn't actually make it so.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Sure, you can feel it's ok to be transphobic.  That's what the disagreement is about.  But just because you think it's ok doesn't actually make it so.

I care not.

I am not transphobic myself, but im not gonna complain about a comedian who makes fun of literally everything.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I care not.

I am not transphobic myself, but im not gonna complain about a comedian who makes fun of literally everything.

If you care not and you support transphobia, then what's your point in responding.  I am merely reporting some facts, that I watched a short bit from a comedian, that he was horrifically transphobic and that I turned it off.  I certainly wish I'd investigated this bigot before giving him air time.  It's clear you don't care about bigotry, but it's not clear why you decided to respond to this topic if you don't care about it.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

If you care not and you support transphobia, then what's your point in responding.  I am merely reporting some facts, that I watched a short bit from a comedian, that he was horrifically transphobic and that I turned it off.  I certainly wish I'd investigated this bigot before giving him air time.  It's clear you don't care about bigotry, but it's not clear why you decided to respond to this topic if you don't care about it.

Because you said.....

36 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Watched about 10 minutes of a Dave Chapelle thing on Netflix before I nearly puked.  I can't imagine what type of person likes his comedy.  He's such a bigot.

And again, I do not support transphobia, but if people (not saying you) can't see the difference between a joke that is transphobic (from a comedian who makes fun of everything) vs a person who actually hates transpeople in real life and acts out on it, then there is a whole nother problem going on.

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

Because you said.....

And again, I do not support transphobia, but if people (not saying you) can't see the difference between a joke that is transphobic (from a comedian who makes fun of everything) vs a person who actually hates transpeople in real life, then there is a whole nother problem going on.

Yeah, I'm not sure what your point continues to be.  I guess you're mad that I can't imagine a decent person liking Chappelle?  

In any case, you clearly do support transphobia.  There is a big difference between making jokes about people and allowing those jokes to go into some pretty extreme, hateful bigoted territory.  Chapelle is clearly transphobic, there's no way of arguing otherwise unless you're supportive of transphobia or are being blatantly dishonest.  

If you want to discuss this terrible filth further, perhaps create a thread.  Otherwise I was merely reporting on what I watched and why, as a decent person, I found it repulsive and chose to stop watching.  

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what your point continues to be.  I guess you're mad that I can't imagine a decent person liking Chappelle?  

In any case, you clearly do support transphobia.  There is a big difference between making jokes about people and allowing those jokes to go into some pretty extreme, hateful bigoted territory.  Chapelle is clearly transphobic, there's no way of arguing otherwise unless you're supportive of transphobia or are being blatantly dishonest.  

If you want to discuss this terrible filth further, perhaps create a thread.  Otherwise I was merely reporting on what I watched and why, as a decent person, I found it repulsive and chose to stop watching.  

No....I was simply answering a question (or what I thought was a question) and from that came a discussion. If you actually look at the last couple of replies, you posted a LOT more stuff than I did, I was just gonna leave it at "Dave used to be funny to people for this reason". I don't feel much of anything while writing this, but im just gonna leave it at that because this is definitely not going where I thought it would.                                                

Just now, Red Tiger said:

No....I was simply answering a question and from that came a discussion. If you actually look at the last couple of replies, you posted a LOT more stuff than I did, I was just gonna leave it at "Dave used to be funny to people for this reason". I don't feel much of anything while writing this, but im just gonna leave it at that because this is definitely not going anywhere I thought it would.                                                

You weren't answering a question because I didn't ask one.  Your response seems to have been that bigots love Chapelle.  Then you thought that disagreeing about transphobia was somehow ok.  Then you claimed you didn't care, and yet made a point to respond.  You're right, it's not going where you thought it would because you're talking to someone who doesn't excuse things like transphobia.  

Chapelle is shit. I can't imagine a decent person who thinks otherwise.  I obviously turned him off as soon as I was able to determine that he's a transphobic scumbag.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You weren't answering a question because I didn't ask one.  Your response seems to have been that bigots love Chapelle.  Then you thought that disagreeing about transphobia was somehow ok.  Then you claimed you didn't care, and yet made a point to respond.  You're right, it's not going where you thought it would because you're talking to someone who doesn't excuse things like transphobia.  

Chapelle is shit. I can't imagine a decent person who thinks otherwise.  I obviously turned him off as soon as I was able to determine that he's a transphobic scumbag.  

I didn't care about Chappelle's current comedy, but I can still respond to an argument that just seems flawed to me.

I finished the first season of Halfworlds, the HBO Asia anthology series dealing with Asian mythology.I found it entertaining and intriguing. The writing wasn't the greatest and I'm not sure what they were aiming at with the language. The characters were mostly speaking English, but the dialogue was sometimes in Indonesian and I'm not exactly sure why they used both English and Indonesian. The showrunners were aiming for a comic book feel to this dark fantasy from the intros to each episodes to the style and fight choreography. It worked for me. While season 1 was in Indonesian and dealt with the Demit, season 2 moves to Thailand and deals with the Peesaj.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Honestly that's surprising.  I guess I had somehow assumed you were fairly decent.

I am decent. I just don't agree with your all or nothing opinions and I absolutely abhor that you have zero ability to disagree with someone gracefully. Red Tiger is entitled to his opinion without you calling him wrong, a bigot and transphobic when he has expressed no such thing. And frankly, I agree that not condemning or boycotting a comedian, who has said equally shitty things about blacks, whites, gays, jews and muslims, has absolutely zero relevance to personal opinions on such matters.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

I am decent. I just don't agree with your all or nothing opinions and I absolutely abhor that you have zero ability to disagree with someone gracefully. Red Tiger is entitled to his opinion without you calling him wrong, a bigot and transphobic when he has expressed no such thing. And frankly, I agree that not condemning or boycotting a comedian, who has said equally shitty things about blacks, whites, gays, jews and muslims, has absolutely zero relevance to personal opinions on such matters.

Why would I disagree "gracefully" (what the fuck does that even mean) with someone who openly supports transphobia?   There's no reason to be "graceful" about such things.  No need to step lightly around someone's feelings on it.  It's like trying to pretend that Trump voters aren't inherently racist when they openly support an overt racist.  I'm not interested in letting people pretend they are something they aren't, like decent, and if that makes me not graceful, so fucking what.  Worrying about that is like worrying that the nazis think I'm rude to them.

That Chapelle says shitty things about everyone doesn't make him somehow not a bigot, nor does it make his supporters decent.  I certainly couldn't continue past the transphobia so I couldn't even easily speak about his other bigotry without further research and I merely remarked on the parts that I had seen.  Your support of something has everything to do with your personal opinion.  Sorry, can't claim to be decent when you openly support things like transphobia.  And truly, it is very surprising to me.  You play the part so well in other threads.  

12 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Why would I disagree "gracefully" (what the fuck does that even mean) with someone who openly supports transphobia?   There's no reason to be "graceful" about such things.  No need to step lightly around someone's feelings on it.  It's like trying to pretend that Trump voters aren't inherently racist when they openly support an overt racist.  I'm not interested in letting people pretend they are something they aren't, like decent, and if that makes me not graceful, so fucking what.  Worrying about that is like worrying that the nazis think I'm rude to them.

That Chapelle says shitty things about everyone doesn't make him somehow not a bigot, nor does it make his supporters decent.  I certainly couldn't continue past the transphobia so I couldn't even easily speak about his other bigotry without further research and I merely remarked on the parts that I had seen.  Your support of something has everything to do with your personal opinion.  Sorry, can't claim to be decent when you openly support things like transphobia.  And truly, it is very surprising to me.  You play the part so well in other threads.  

It's fucking comedy. That's the whole point. They say mean shit about everyone and everything and occasionally we laugh and occasionally we cringe. If you don't like that, so be it, but please stop saying that people who watch it are bigots. It's wrong, annoying, and completely divorced from our stated opinions and actions.

That post is representative of my entire point. You cannot and will not accept someone else's opinion without having to go over board and call them names, whether they express those views or not. Get over yourself.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's fucking comedy. That's the whole point. They say mean shit about everyone and everything and occasionally we laugh and occasionally we cringe. If you don't like that, so be it, but please stop saying that people who watch it are bigots. It's fucking annoying, tiresome and completely divorced from our stated opinions and actions.

That post is representative of my entire point. You cannot and will not accept someone else's opinion without having to go over board and call them names, whether they express those views or not. Get over yourself.

Give up, dude. I did.

On another note. I watched Darkest Hour.

Oldman is brilliant, but it's really hard to keep track of what's going on at times.

Just now, Red Tiger said:

Give up, dude. I did.

On another note. I watched Darkest Hour.

Oldman is brilliant, but it's really hard to keep track of what's going on at times.

Oh I will. Needed to say that though. I get tired of Dr. Pepper being the bigot police.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's fucking comedy. That's the whole point. They say mean shit about everyone and everything and occasionally we laugh and occasionally we cringe. If you don't like that, so be it, but please stop saying that people who watch it are bigots. It's fucking annoying, tiresome and completely divorced from our stated opinions and actions.

No, being a bigot isn't the whole point of comedy.  There are plenty of comedians who do just fine without going into that realm.  No, I cannot and will not accept bigoted opinions as though they are valid. If you find it tiresome, then, um, maybe don't do that.

Yes, if you support bigots, then you are one as well.  It's as simple as that.  You've made that same point or have been supportive of that point multiple times in the politics thread, but I guess it's only valid to you if it's Trump voters.  Sorry sweetheart, that's not how it works.

Chapelle is a bigot.  The part where I could continue no further had to do with transphobia.  Minor research reveals that his views on other groups of people are highly problematic.  He doesn't get a free pass just because he's shitty about everyone.  No fan of his gets a free pass just because they claim in other aspects of their lives that they aren't bigots or don't support bigotry.

Archived