Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

RedEyedGhost

I just fired up season 4 of Peaky Blinders.  I feel like I should probably rewatch season 3, but I do not have the time (still need to rewatch season 2 of The Expanse and The Magicians before their season 3s start up in a couple of weeks).  

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was forced to “watch” A Christmas Story over the weekend, for only like the 20th time……

I don’t get why people love this movie so much. It’s not bad, per se, but it doesn’t deserved to be watched every year. If any Christmas movies do, it’s Gremlins and Die Hard.

:commie:

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not a bad movie at all, but it isn't as rewatchable as Gremlins and Die Hard.

I agree with you about A Christmas Story (I'll watch it about once every four years), but you're crazy if you think Christmas Vacation is less rewatchable than Gremlins and Die Hard.

Blazed though Manhunt: Unabomber on Netflix. Really nice performances by Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany, the former especially. I guess the thematic question is: can you go on an all consuming hunt for a highly intelligent ideological (terrorist) criminal and not have your own life be consumed by the work? Obviously it goes beyond 'work'...but I find this fascinating, because it isn't inevitable that the investigator becomes obsessed to the point of ruining their own life, people do manage these roles whilst still having a life. 

It was good to see this straight after Mindhunter too. Lots of focus on obsessive behaviour and the why of that behaviour. We always want to know why. 

I don’t recall if it was @williamjm who was the other U.K. boarder watching this, but someone else mentioned it after @SpaceChampion brought up the news of cancellation, but Netflix UK will be streaming Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency Season 2 From 5/01/17 :) looking forward to it

@Nictarion

For me it is. And i don’t really consider Die Hard a Xmas movie (despite what the screenwriter says :P). Gremlins more so. Love both, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be the holidays for me to watch them. 

They’re absolutely Christmas movies. The plots can’t  function without the holiday.

And the fact that you can watch them outside of the holiday is why they are the superior films. They transcend Christmas.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I agree with you about A Christmas Story (I'll watch it about once every four years), but you're crazy if you think Christmas Vacation is less rewatchable than Gremlins and Die Hard.

Eh, the jokes lose their impact after the second or third viewing for me. I like the movie, it’s my favorite in the series, but I can only watch it every few years at most. Die Hard, on the other hand, is a movie I’ll always stop on when flipping through the channels in search of some mindless entertainment.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don’t recall if it was @williamjm who was the other U.K. boarder watching this, but someone else mentioned it after @SpaceChampion brought up the news of cancellation, but Netflix UK will be streaming Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency Season 2 From 5/01/17 :) looking forward to it

Currently only cancelled on BBC America in the U.S.  We have yet to hear if season 3 will continue on Netflix alone, adding US Netflix or it finds another partner like AMC.

I don’t know if it has its own thread (I did search for it and failed to find anything) so I’m saying it here. 

Fuller House is meh. 

I started the original Full House series after I watched Stranger Things and as soon as I finished all 8 seasons (yes, I know, I need help, in my defense, these are 20-25 minute episodes), I moved on to Fuller House immediately.

I’m on season 3 now and it’s just a cheap replica of the original in terms of characterization, comedy value and writing. It’s also a shamelessly milked cash cow and an intrusive ad board for the casts’ other work. 

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I can't remember if I did mention it then, but I am looking forward to seeing the second season. Hopefully it doesn't end on a big cliffhanger as the first season did, given that there may be no more of it.

Almost done with S1 of The Americans. I saw the first season when it aired but never saw another ep after that so I'm watching it now with my wife. The plot is still fresh enough in my mind that I remember everything significant that has happened so far. Eager to start S2 so I can see some new stuff.

A couple episodes left in season 2 of The Expanse. I enjoy this show an awful lot. I see the OP said S3 starts in a couple weeks but I can't find anything online confirming that. Does anyone know the exact date it comes back?

9 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

A couple episodes left in season 2 of The Expanse. I enjoy this show an awful lot. I see the OP said S3 starts in a couple weeks but I can't find anything online confirming that. Does anyone know the exact date it comes back?

Looks like season 3 filming just wrapped today. The following article is guessing at a mid 2018 release: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-expanse/262947/the-expanse-season-3-news

We went to see All the Money in the World today... well done... saw the Shape of Water last week... I liked it more than my wife did... Darkest Hour is on deck

There are only a few of the shows in our regular rotation that have been running through Xmas.... Runaways, Vikings, Knightfall, Damnation... The Gifted returns Jan 1, Agents of Shield the following Friday...and we'll add the X Files next week as well... It's weird not having a Sunday show... the Chi looks like it can be fun.... we'll see.

We finished the Crown, and Shut Eye recently... and started Suburra 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Looks like season 3 filming just wrapped today. The following article is guessing at a mid 2018 release: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-expanse/262947/the-expanse-season-3-news

Oooo, damn.  It's always run concurrently with The Magicians, so I just assumed.  Now I'm depressed.

2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Almost done with S1 of The Americans. I saw the first season when it aired but never saw another ep after that so I'm watching it now with my wife. The plot is still fresh enough in my mind that I remember everything significant that has happened so far. Eager to start S2 so I can see some new stuff.

The Americans is a great show, one of the best current shows. I'm going to start a rewatch after the New Year, to finish it before season 6 starts. I loved season 1, but seasons 3 and 4 are even better. Season 5 was a bit of a letdown as it felt like just a setup season for the upcoming last season.

I finished season 2 of The Expanse today. It's a really good show, but for some reason it hasn't grabbed as much as some others have.

Also saw the latest Runaways episode. The show has been hit and miss - it started promising, but they've been stalling way too much, and it's not doing good to the likability and appeal of the teen characters.

For these three remaining days of this year, I'm hoping to finish The Leftovers (which I only started watching recently - the early episodes are kind of difficult, but I really got into it towards the end of season 1) and season 3 of Outlander. Then I'm hoping to finish Twin Peaks: The Return during the holidays.

Planet Earth II is more magical than any fictional show about magic I've ever seen. And so much sex and death!

Gods bless David Attenborough and the talented, dedicated and adventurous gang who pulled together to produce this masterpiece.

I recently finished Travelers S2.  I really want this show to be good, but it is often confusing.  For example, I still don't understand if The Director is a machine, a person, or a committee?  Also, the final episode of the season was an absolute mess again.

I understand that Traveler 1 used Simon's machine to leave Vincent's and enter the body of Vincent's psychiatrist.  But, why did Traveler 1 have his hired henchman move Vincent's comatose body in front of a webcam and thus allowing a new Traveler to exist in the present as Vincent?  Also, why would a Traveler want to overtake the body of a person that the world perceives as being the leader of a terrorist organization?

8 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I recently finished Travelers S2.  I really want this show to be good, but it is often confusing.  For example, I still don't understand if The Director is a machine, a person, or a committee?  Also, the final episode of the season was an absolute mess again.

Hide contents

I understand that Traveler 1 used Simon's machine to leave Vincent's and enter the body of Vincent's psychiatrist.  But, why did Traveler 1 have his hired henchman move Vincent's comatose body in front of a webcam and thus allowing a new Traveler to exist in the present as Vincent?  Also, why would a Traveler want to overtake the body of a person that the world perceives as being the leader of a terrorist organization?

I love this show, but also agree that they sort of confuse things at time.  As for your questions, I think

Spoiler

Vincent was placed in front of the webcam so that The Director (who I'm pretty sure is just machine, Grace helped build It and they refer to It and It) would see his exact place and time so as to "overwrite" him.  But as we know, he wasn't really there. I presume he did this so that no one would know that he continues to live.  I would think a Traveler would want to use the body because it already has an established history in that time.  Why waste a good body and network, especially now that they know they can recover memories of host bodies, maybe even memories from a traveler's time in a host body.

I think the number one problem with this show is that there isn't much info on the future.  It's all very vague about some apocalyptic event but it's hard when we have no imagery of these place.  

Archived