RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

244 posts in this topic

Zipped through S2 of Dirk Gently. Mostly very pleasing. It did feel a little bit draggy in the early eps and then a bit rushed in the last two but that's a minor complaint. The most standout feature for me is that it can be absolutely hilarious in places. I don't often find series which are more than 'a little bit amusing' or occasionally funny but this show always has a few full on HAHAHA! moments which impresses me.

Call Me by Your Name crushed me last night. I'm not usually one for love stories, but I already want to watch it again. Hammer and Chalamet are both fantastic, I felt as if I was right there with them, somewhere in northen Italy.

Oh, and Escape Room was utter, utter shit.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Zipped through S2 of Dirk Gently. Mostly very pleasing. It did feel a little bit draggy in the early eps and then a bit rushed in the last two but that's a minor complaint. The most standout feature for me is that it can be absolutely hilarious in places. I don't often find series which are more than 'a little bit amusing' or occasionally funny but this show always has a few full on HAHAHA! moments which impresses me.

Despite the horror aspects and deaths it manages a light tone, while never quite becoming a farce. Which is impressive.

1 hour ago, Seli said:

Despite the horror aspects and deaths it manages a light tone, while never quite becoming a farce. Which is impressive.

Yes it balances the gore and violence with the off-the-wall humour and the fantastical subjects. I recall it took me a while to get into the rhythm of it when I started S1 because there's nothing else quite like it, but it definitely works for me.

I watched Bright and, overall, enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit too much of Alien Nation and the actress playing Tikka seemed to be doing her best Leeloo impression at times. I dug Noomi Rapace's Leilah and the Inferni.  I was a bit more interested in the background and history of the world. There could have been a  much more interesting story to tell in that setting, but I was still entertained by the film.

Just finished first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and liked it quite a bit. Alex Borstein and Tony Shaloub were by far my favorites in the show.

I just came back from the cinema, where I have watched Star Wars Episode 8 and Russian movie Kolovrat (I think it is released as "Furious" in States). The Russian movie is done in "300" fashion, with great costumes and wonderful scenery. Episode 8 was such disappointment. 

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched It Comes At Night. Misleading title, and bad marketing aside, I really liked it. The ending was super tense. 

Yeah, the trailer was incredibly done and very misleading and I couldn't get by all that. I would've liked it way more if I just randomly came across it on a movie channel and never heard of it. I'll give it another go down the line. 

I was channel surfing and came across Steven Seagall's Out of Justice. It's been years since I last saw it and I always remembered it as one of the bettter Seagal pictures, but surprisingly enough it's actually even better than I remember. Seagal might be very limited as an actor, but if he puts some effort into it and has some luck he can be quite enjoyable to see. This also has quite a poignant speech on the value of work, which is odd to see in this kind of movie.

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri not a bad film but rather disappointing, coming in as a fan of the McDonagh's previous films and plays and seeing the critical reception I was expecting a rather more funnier film but once I got used to the path that it was taking it still fell a bit short.

It's carried by the performances of McDormand and Rockwell but the story behind them and the world all seem a bit half baked or cut down with several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief and another than in retrospect makes very little sense.

Against my better judgment I watched the Guy Ritchie King Arthur. It was as bad as I expected. I saw the actress I really liked in the Black Mirror episode ‘Hang the DJ’ was in it when I looked her up, but she had like one line. Lame. 

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Against my better judgment I watched the Guy Ritchie King Arthur. It was as bad as I expected. I saw the actress I really liked in the Black Mirror episode ‘Hang the DJ’ was in it when I looked her up, but she had like one line. Lame. 

Guy Ritchie had an M. Night style fall from grace.  Two good movies followed by a mountain of dog shit.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Guy Ritchie had an M. Night style fall from grace.  Two good movies followed by a mountain of dog shit.

I liked RocknRolla, but yeah, he’s never matched the quality of Lock, Stock & Snatch. I thought Split was pretty good as far as M. Night goes, so maybe there’s still hope for Ritchie. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I liked RocknRolla, but yeah, he’s never matched the quality of Lock, Stock & Snatch. I thought Split was pretty good as far as M. Night goes, so maybe there’s still hope for Ritchie. 

I thought Split was pretty terrible until, ironically, the twist ending where they tied it to Unbreakable.  I say ironically because basically all of M. Night's twists after Unbreakable were just so horrible and/or obvious.  

But at least Ritchie never made a movie anywhere near as godawful as The Happening.  

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

I thought Split was pretty terrible until, ironically, the twist ending where they tied it to Unbreakable.  I say ironically because basically all of M. Night's twists after Unbreakable were just so horrible and/or obvious.  

But at least Ritchie never made a movie anywhere near as godawful as The Happening.  

You’ve obviously never seen Swept Away. :P

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I was channel surfing and came across Steven Seagall's Out of Justice. It's been years since I last saw it and I always remembered it as one of the bettter Seagal pictures, but surprisingly enough it's actually even better than I remember. Seagal might be very limited as an actor, but if he puts some effort into it and has some luck he can be quite enjoyable to see. This also has quite a poignant speech on the value of work, which is odd to see in this kind of movie.

Seagal's first 4-5 movies are actually really solid action movie, with Marked for Death being the highlight IMO.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Seagal's first 4-5 movies are actually really solid action movie, with Marked for Death being the highlight IMO.

Ah yeah, now that I read the synopsis I remember that movie. It was pretty good as far as I remember. I think my favourite Seagal flick was The Glimmer Man though. It's been years since I saw any of his work, but he did have some good ones indeed :) 

23 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri not a bad film but rather disappointing, coming in as a fan of the McDonagh's previous films and plays and seeing the critical reception I was expecting a rather more funnier film but once I got used to the path that it was taking it still fell a bit short.

It's carried by the performances of McDormand and Rockwell but the story behind them and the world all seem a bit half baked or cut down with several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief and another than in retrospect makes very little sense.

I liked the movie, but didn't think it was great. There were some really touching(if thats the right phrase) moments and some just absurd.

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

As did I, and I regretted it. It was on DVR so I thought what the heck...whoops. I didn't like the style, tempo, acting, basically anything about it. I saw the previews at the movies and knew I would never pay to see it, but damn I did pay when i watched it!

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, Veltigar said:

I haven't watched a Segal movie in a long time. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. I did like his first couple movies, probably Under Siege would be my favorite. Not long after that movie my disdain for him set in.

My other favorite was Executive Decision and only because of him dying so early in the movie that it was unexpected! I liked the movie just for killing him!

Just saw The End of the F¨¨¨¨cking world. Damn, that was a brilliant little series. It reminded me a bit of A Young Doctor's notebook and Utopia in its quirkiness. I can only echo the praise for it that has proliferated on this very thread for the last couple of pages. The actors are great, the story is simple but nice and it's really fun to watch. It's kind of perfect as it is, but I wouldn't mind watching more of it. I also really liked the format, it's about as long as your average sitcom episode, but it does more with the short time format in my opinion. The story never felt like it dragged, nor did it feel rushed. Simply put, it's definitely something I would recommend.

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I haven't watched a Segal movie in a long time. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. I did like his first couple movies, probably Under Siege would be my favorite. Not long after that movie my disdain for him set in.

I get what you mean about rubbing you the wrong way. Apparently he is a grade-A douche in real life, so at least he's deserving of your apathy of his filmography. He seems to have been quite an asshat on the set of Out of Justice, although I read a funny story about his turn on that film. Apparantly Seagal thought he was immune to loosing continious when choked because of his martial arts training. Supposedly, a stuntman put that to test and Seagal of course lost consciousness and actually shat himself while he was passed out :lol:

In general I think he's quite bad, but I can't help but like his better films. Under Siege was indeed a good one, I also liked On Deadly Ground and the one where he tried to get that Polish girl back from the people who abducted her (it was a weirdly Takenish movie, I forgot the title, but it's a later film, probably the only one worth seeing after the 2000s started). 

I probably saw Executive Decision, his films were on the tele a lot over here, but I can't for the life of me remember anything about it.