RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

421 posts in this topic

Also, it's really important to know that NOT ALL TELENOVELLAS ARE SOAP OPERAS AND DEAL PRIMARILY WITH LOVE RELATIONSHIPS.  Not by a long shot. Some are biographies, such as a wonderful one I've watched of Simon Bolivar.  There are those like the story of the woman who rose from the direst poverty in a Brasilian favela by cooking, creating what Cubans then named their private home restaurants after -- Paladar.  There are period action dramas galore, with some of the best horsemanship and swordplay anyone could ever see, in that Spanish tradition.  If you haven't seen any of these you haven't a clue about South American television.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Also, it's really important to know that NOT ALL TELENOVELLAS ARE SOAP OPERAS AND DEAL PRIMARILY WITH LOVE RELATIONSHIPS.  Not by a long shot. Some are biographies, such as a wonderful one I've watched of Simon Bolivar.  There are those like the story of the woman who rose from the direst poverty in a Brasilian favela by cooking, creating what Cubans then named their private home restaurants after -- Paladar.  There are period action dramas galore, with some of the best horsemanship and swordplay anyone could ever see, in that Spanish tradition.  If you haven't seen any of these you haven't a clue about South American television.

The word "telenovela" has come to mean a specific type of soap opera, usually produced in Latin American country, but not necessarily (at the height of their popularity, there have been attempts to produce shows in that style in other countries - e.g. Serbian TV produced one, since telenovelas were unbelievably popular in Serbia at the time*). A quality contemporary or period drama is not what most people would consider a "telenovela" just because it's a TV series produced in a Latin American country.

*Although people over here popularly referred to them as "španske serije" .- "Spanish shows", which is very inaccurate, as they weren't from Spain (and many of them weren't even in Spanish language)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

The word "telenovela" has come to mean a specific type of soap opera, usually produced in Latin American country, but not necessarily (at the height of their popularity, there have been attempts to produce shows in that style in other countries - e.g. Serbian TV produced one, since telenovelas were unbelievably popular in Serbia at the time*). A quality contemporary or period drama is not what most people would consider a "telenovela" just because it's a TV series produced in a Latin American country.

*Although people over here popularly referred to them as "španske serije" .- "Spanish shows", which is very inaccurate, as they weren't from Spain (and many of them weren't even in Spanish language)

It's different in Spanish speaking countries though.  Telenovella covers a LOT of ground in Spanish speaking countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to see The Post today.... F'ing loved it... 

The thing that struck me, was that besides the obvious A-list casting of Meryl Steep and Tom Hanks (seriously, is it possible to do better than those two?)... the supporting cast was excellent... Carrie Coon (Leftovers, Fargo)... Sarah Paulson (AHS).... Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul)... Mathew Rhys (The Americans).... Alison Brie (Mad Men) .... Michael Stuhlbarg (Boardwalk Empire).... just to name a few... 

.... and now back to your regularly scheduled Message Board Argument

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zorral said:

I most certainly have watched Magnificent Century.  Resurrection: Ertugrul is primarly historical period action drama.  It's not soap opera at all, and even less so than Magnificent Century which is confined, in its first season, to the Harem.  Ertugrul's people are nomads, looking for a homeland in the pressures of the mongolian invasions, within the other conflicting pressures of these lands from European crusaders and feuding Islamic powers.

I think that history of Islamic countries can offer some amazing materials for good costume dramas. Enough with the Tudors, give us Osmanli :D

I watched MC, or as it was translated in Serbia "Suleiman the Magnificent" only to see whether they are going to blame EVERY DAMN THING on women. The only woman who had done nothing to influence her man was Suleiman's mother, and she died in Season 2. The costumes, although rather inaccurate, were interesting and I loved the music. It had its moments.

9 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

This is taking me back to the days when they were on every Serbian TV channel in primetime and when my mom, who had just retired, used to hatewatch them. I hadn't discovered the joys of hatewatching yet at the time, so I would complain when I was having dinner in the living room and one of them was on, and she kept watching and talking about how stupid and awful they were. There was one called Rosa Salvaje with a super-kitchy theme song, there was one whose name I don't know that had twin sisters (of course, one was good and the other evil, and you could tell them apart by their lipstick - the evil one had dark red lipstick, as opposed to the lighter colored one of the good sister), an d then of course there was the famous Cassandra, which was a Colombian show.

But the one I remember best was a Mexican one called Marisol. My mom especially loved to hatewatch that one and talk about how dumb the storylines were and how racist it was, and that the only non-white people in Mexican telenovelas she watched were always servants, or a village witch or something, which is all the more startling considering the demographics of Mexico. The lead actress of that show was probably the whitest person they could have possibly found, blonde, blue eyed and as pale as if someone threw a bag of flour all over her face.

Marisol was one with the scarred flower-girl? God, this brings the memories...

Ah, Cassandra... The top of hysteria. Can you remember the "she is coming to Belgrade" madness?

The only Latin American telenovella that I actually liked was, I think, Argentinian version of Montecristo. It also had a nice catchy tune.

As for real Spanish TV shows, there were some solid ones. 

9 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

But at least people could learn some Spanish. My mom actually picked up a few words - like the words for "my son", 'my daughter' and  -'witch" :lol: Again, according to her, it was easy to learn as "they're probably only using about 200 words in the dialogue and repeating them over and over". :lol:

 To this day, my favorite word of Spanish remains "Mujerzuela"... "Descarada" was the close second :D

9 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Getting your teeth pulled out without an anestethic is probably better entertainment than Serbian reality TV.

Speaking of Serbian TV, have you watched "Senke nad Balkanom"? I had so many things to do that I haven't had the time to watch it. Is it really that good?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the first season of Narcos and really enjoyed it. A question for those who've seen it: 

Spoiler

Is the third season still about Pablo? I'd be very surprised if they can drag this out over two more seasons? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched the first season of Narcos and really enjoyed it. A question for those who've seen it: 

  Hide contents

Is the third season still about Pablo? I'd be very surprised if they can drag this out over two more seasons? 

 

No

So, because i have access to far too many programmes i can't seem to pick and commit to anything.  Resulting in me being unable to get into anything properly.  i have watched a couple of episodes of each of the below, which should i make the effort to complete?

Narco's S3

Godless

Fargo S1

Mindhunter

Mr Robot S3

Preacher S2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely not Preacher.

But s3 of Mr Robot and Narcos are both good, Godless is kinda meh. Haven't seen the other two, so I cant say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GallowKnight, that's blasphemy... How dare you, sir? :D

Godless is amazing. It is short, compact story with great cast and music.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Risto said:

@GallowKnight, that's blasphemy... How dare you, sir? :D

Godless is amazing. It is short, compact story with great cast and music.

 

It was too plodding and cliché and the finale was all-around terrible. It did have some good performances though.

Edited by GallowKnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Risto said:

ng of Serbian TV, have you watched "Senke nad Balkanom"? I had so many things to do that I haven't had the time to watch it. Is it really that good?

 

I don't know, I haven't watched any Serbian TV shows in a long time (aside from those times when I unfortunately wasn't able to avoid it, as when I was at my aunt's for dinner and they were watching some godawful show or another, and the last time that happened was over a year ago. They've finally installed cable TV, LOL, so this time for Christmas, I watched David Attenborough's BBC Earth documentary about titanosaurs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No

So, because i have access to far too many programmes i can't seem to pick and commit to anything.  Resulting in me being unable to get into anything properly.  i have watched a couple of episodes of each of the below, which should i make the effort to complete?

Narco's S3

Godless

Fargo S1

Mindhunter

Mr Robot S3

Preacher S2

 

Fargo S1. While I didn’t enjoy seasons 2 and 3 nearly as much I loved the first season, and each on is stand alone so it’s a relatively small investment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Fargo S1. While I didn’t enjoy seasons 2 and 3 nearly as much I loved the first season, and each on is stand alone so it’s a relatively small investment. 

I agree s1 is the best but s2 was still top quality. Felt s3 had a bit of a dip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No

So, because i have access to far too many programmes i can't seem to pick and commit to anything.  Resulting in me being unable to get into anything properly.  i have watched a couple of episodes of each of the below, which should i make the effort to complete?

Narco's S3

Godless

Fargo S1

Mindhunter

Mr Robot S3

Preacher S2

 

I’ve seen all these, I’d rank them:

Fargo S1

Mr. Robot S3

Narcos S3

Mindhunter

Godless and Preacher S2 are both pretty mediocre. I’m actually considering dropping the latter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

No

So, because i have access to far too many programmes i can't seem to pick and commit to anything.  Resulting in me being unable to get into anything properly.  i have watched a couple of episodes of each of the below, which should i make the effort to complete?

Narco's S3

Godless

Fargo S1

Mindhunter

Mr Robot S3

Preacher S2

 

The answer to your question is Knightfall :)

To expand a little on Narcos past season 1 . . .

Spoiler

season 3 deals with the Cali cartel. I thought there would be a dip in quality after Pablo, but 3 was just as good as 1 and 2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Risto said:

I think that history of Islamic countries can offer some amazing materials for good costume dramas. Enough with the Tudors, give us Osmanli :D

I watched MC, or as it was translated in Serbia "Suleiman the Magnificent" only to see whether they are going to blame EVERY DAMN THING on women. The only woman who had done nothing to influence her man was Suleiman's mother, and she died in Season 2. The costumes, although rather inaccurate, were interesting and I loved the music. It had its moments.

 

 

The fabrics and textiles of Magnificent Century were the richest most opulent most glowing shimmering deep piled stuffs (words used in the medieval sense) I have ever seen, even more so than those that are in some African films and television, where textiles are so important too, to indicate wealth and status.

Some historical accounts say though that the harem wasn't as murderous a place in the time of Hürrem Sultan as it supposedly became soon after, when the brother who managed to win the throne had to kill all the other potential claimants.  But in any case, locking up a bunch of people under constant surveillance and rivalry for the attention of a single person is not going to create heroic and adventurous tales.

I really liked, as with Resurrection: Ertugrul, the very large numbers of women's significant roles, with enormous variety, as people are.  Some are good, some are villainous, many are caught by the circumstances of their lives, but all of them are interesting.

Yah -- these Turkish series are very popular in many, many countries outside Turkey too.

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The fabrics and textiles of Magnificent Century were the richest most opulent most glowing shimmering deep piled stuffs (words used in the medieval sense) I have ever seen, even more so than those that are in some African films and television, where textiles are so important too, to indicate wealth and status.

Yes, of course... Those costumes, for all their inaccuracy, were truly exquisitely made. 

18 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Some historical accounts say though that the harem wasn't as murderous a place in the time of Hürrem Sultan as it supposedly became soon after, when the brother who managed to win the throne had to kill all the other potential claimants.  But in any case, locking up a bunch of people under constant surveillance and rivalry for the attention of a single person is not going to create heroic and adventurous tales.

As I understood and I might get wrong is that history of Osmanli court became much bloodier after Suleiman the Magnificent. The problem was that up until then, the brothers were actually half-brothers and mothers hadn't had the problem of maintaining the peace between opposing brothers. On the contrary, they would be all for killing the other claimants. When the birth of more princes by one woman began with Hurrem it also created the problem of the mothers who didn't want to choose ONE to become a sultan. Rather, they would let them live, have the kids of their own until of course, the time came. That is why it get bloodier. They forgot that multiple male children by the same woman wasn't just for the sake of Islam's teachings, it was indeed practical.

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I really liked, as with Resurrection: Ertugrul, the very large numbers of women's significant roles, with enormous variety, as people are.  Some are good, some are villainous, many are caught by the circumstances of their lives, but all of them are interesting.

The female roles were interesting, but the writing was problematic. It revealed the old "woman was the sinner" ideology. You see, the way things are made in Magnificent Century is that every sin each of the male members of the family made, was actually done by woman "making" them do so. Suleiman killed Mustafa because of Hurrem, Mustafa made mistakes because of his mother, Bayazid killed his brother and his sons because of whats-her-name. Every crime can be traced to a woman. That is what I really hated about it.

28 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yah -- these Turkish series are very popular in many, many countries outside Turkey too.

In Montenegro, when they started airing "Ezel", a Turkish modern adaptation of Count of Montecristo,  the cities' streets were empty. From 7 pm to 8.30/9 pm, everyone was home. It was borderline spooky. That was the first time I saw how popular these TV shows are at Balkans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2018 at 8:36 PM, Veltigar said:

I saw the first episode of channel 4's new sitcom 'Derry Girls' apparantly I do watch sitcoms again because this was hilarious. It's about a group of Irish girls (+ one wee English fellow) at a Catholic school in '90 era Derry. I suspect this is going to be a great one :D

I thought you said:

  Reveal hidden contents

As a Jew, if you made a funny Holocaust joke, I’d laugh. For example, who’s the best Jewish cook?

What's clever about

  Reveal hidden contents

Hitler

in this context? Perhaps something is lost in translation, but when I think about a funny holocaust joke I think of something like:

  Reveal hidden contents

Hitler calls a meeting of his best soldiers and commanders and tells them "Alright I want to order the assassination of one thousand jews and four hedgehogs."

Then one of his generals stands and says "But... Mein furhur why four hedgehogs?"

Hitler then smiles and says "See? No one gives a fuck about the jews."

 (this is probably outrageously offensive to some, for which I do apologise)

I have to agree with @Annara Snow Telenovella's, based on the small sample I have seen are terrible. Like, pretty much on the same level as a bad soap opera. 

Based on my experience, I would say that the 13 episode limit is pretty hard to beat regardless of culture (again sitcoms and animation are more capable of transcending this limit). Unless the show in question has a really atypical production schedule and a bigger budget than usual, it's hard to make something decent if it has more episodes than that.

I mean think of it, how many seasons of television can you recall where you'd say that an extra episode or two could have improved the whole story? Looking back to recent years, only the first season of The Last Kingdom springs easily to mind, that could have used an extra episode if they had had the budget for it. I can cite way more shows that would benefit from a reduced number of episodes (e.g. all those superhero junk shows they're making now). 

Of course I don't know that Turkish show in question. Perhaps it did have those two things or perhaps it's one of those mysterious flukes that happen occasionally ;)  

I just watched the first two episodes of Derry Girls. Agreed, it’s hilarious. :D The headteacher/Nun is great with her deadpan monotony. 

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just weigh in that I thought the first season of Mindhunter was really good, and I'm excited for another season.  One of the best shows I've seen recently.  Man, this one character in particular...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now