RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

421 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess I just have to accept that the Blade Runner movies aren't for me. Tried watching both of them multiple times, albeit at night after having a few beers, and fell asleep each time. Oh well, can't win them all. 

They’re pretty cerebral films. I recommend trying again without the beers. 

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, replace the beer with weed and try again.  :lol:

Alcohol and movies do not mix. It is known.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Jon Stewart in Half Baked

”you ever see Blade Runner...on weed?” :lol:

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess I just have to accept that the Blade Runner movies aren't for me. Tried watching both of them multiple times, albeit at night after having a few beers, and fell asleep each time. Oh well, can't win them all. 

I'm with you on this. I just can't get into them like other people. They have the elements I would normally like in a movie, Sci Fi, action, violence and yet it just doesn't hook me.

I am currently watching Peaky Blinders, just started Season 4. Decent show, feels like a mix of Sons of Anarchy and insert random gang movie name here.

Spoiler

I am tired of seeing the blow of flames at the factories  and the "someone walking toward the camera while music plays" scene every damn episode!

I am just a couple episodes into where Adrien Brody is playing what I see as a horrible impression of Marlon Brando's Godfather role.

I like that they finally killed off one of the brothers, it was well overdue.

I do like the scenery, family ties and that this is in the 1920's time frame.

Recently I've seen The Post which was very good and, probably not coincidentally, very on point for current events and Atomic Blonde which was a bit of a disappointment, a bit too much style over substance. It was also a bit confusing.

Spoiler

She's a triple agent who's infiltrated MI6 for the CIA in order to betray them to the KGB to achieve what exactly?

I've also been watching Band of Brothers again over the last couple of weeks. It's still excellent.

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Might have been more than just a few beers on some occasions…

14 hours ago, briantw said:

There may or may not have been that too...

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Alcohol and movies do not mix. It is known.

:spank::spank::spank:

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I'm with you on this. I just can't get into them like other people. They have the elements I would normally like in a movie, Sci Fi, action, violence and yet it just doesn't hook me.

Yeah I feel the same. These are movies I should like, but they just kind of bore me. 

Watched all of Grace and Frankie season 4 over the weekend.  It makes me laugh out loud.  A whole lot.  Fonda and Tomlin are national treasures. The actor who plays Grace's daughter Brianna is incredible.  I love her, Brianna that is.  The entire ensemble is wonderful thing to witness.

I also watched all three of the Godfathers last week (my brain was so blasted by exhaustion and the weather it really couldn't handle much except that sleeping and making tortilla soup). 

Except for the central Cuban arc of Godfather II this founding myth of film trilogy of Italians in the USA doesn't hold up so well, imo

Godfather I would be the weakest, except that Godfather III has Sophia Coppola and she's just horrible to watch, though evidently the camera -- or the director -- can't get enough of her.  That mouth!  Other than that I actually really like Godfather III since it's an opera.

My opinions only, of course.  I'm not going to the mat over any of them.  :cheers:

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There may or may not have been that too...

I finally got a new weed supplier (used to get it via the girlfriend's roommate, but we broke up and my old guy moved away), so I'm looking very forward to getting super high and not knowing wtf is going on in the movies I watch.  :lol:

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Recently I've seen The Post which was very good and, probably not coincidentally, very on point for current events and Atomic Blonde which was a bit of a disappointment, a bit too much style over substance. It was also a bit confusing.

Hide contents

She's a triple agent who's infiltrated MI6 for the CIA in order to betray them to the KGB to achieve what exactly?

I've also been watching Band of Brothers again over the last couple of weeks. It's still excellent.

I watched Atomic Blonde the other day and thought much the same as you. I mean, I did enjoy it on a purely style level but

my immediate thought was that she was originally meant to just be a KGB agent, the last bit felt so out of place. Then I checked and apparently it's based on a comic in which that is indeed the case. It's just tacked on with no thought to how it makes sense in the story. Really annoying, and the film would have been much better without it.

Been watching FX's The People Vs. OJ Simpson this week.  Really enjoying it.  I was around eleven during the trial, so there's a lot I remember, a lot I don't, and probably plenty that I just wasn't old enough to comprehend at the time.  At any rate, great show, and they've done a wonderful job assembling a cast of doppelgangers for the people actually involved in the trial.  It's very interesting getting a more in-depth look at how the prosecution fucked this trial up.

Anyone seen Waco?

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Been watching FX's The People Vs. OJ Simpson this week.  Really enjoying it.  I was around eleven during the trial, so there's a lot I remember, a lot I don't, and probably plenty that I just wasn't old enough to comprehend at the time.  At any rate, great show, and they've done a wonderful job assembling a cast of doppelgangers for the people actually involved in the trial.  It's very interesting getting a more in-depth look at how the prosecution fucked this trial up.

The only one who really isn't a doppelganger is Cuba Gooding Jr as OJ, although he does a good job playing OJ's personality. But that didn't bother me much, since OJ isn't the main character. It's really mostly about Johnnie Cochran, Marcia Clark and Chris Durden, and all three actors' Emmys were very well deserved.

Finally got round to watching Moonlight and was afraid it might have been overhyped somewhat but luckily it was absolutely brilliant, goes right to the top of my "2016 films that were released in the UK in 2017 that I eventually watch in 2018" list

Been going through some HBO shows over the last couple months.  Watched all of Deadwood, which was awesome, then followed it up with the Sopranos, which was also awesome, but both shows has some serious flaws in characterization.  Both suffered from having moments where they were too much like caricatures of their role instead of real character building.  Followed it up with the Young Pope and really disliked it.  This one actually had some amazing characters and characterization, but was flawed in that the plot was convoluted and completely unbelievable from many fronts.  Now I'm watching Gunpowder, which has started off ok, but I'm glad it's only 3 episodes.

17 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Followed it up with the Young Pope and really disliked it.

I barely made it through the first episode and didn't bother even trying to continue. @Veltigar loved it.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I barely made it through the first episode and didn't bother even trying to continue. @Veltigar loved it.

I maybe didn't really love it, but I enjoyed it a whole lot, because it was really interesting.  I couldn't quite predict what the heck might happen next, and this was all the more fun because I had been reading histories of the popes since the beginning of the papacy, so I knew how truly weird things can get -- and even unpredicted by those who voted in some of the popes. It was acted by an excellent cast.  This doesn't mean I actually understood it. But then, who does actually understand the holy and the saints?

The Young Pope was such an excellent change of pace from so much prestige television.  As soon as I think of it, I can recall in sensuous detail the days of the early spring in which I watched it on dvd, and the discussions with all my amigas from St. Anthony's.

Finished season 2 of Halfworlds, the HBO Asia dark fantasy series dealing with, so far, Indonesian and Thai mythology, mainly demons.  This second season took place in Bangkok and featured the peesaj from Thai mythology, whereas season 1 had the Indonesian demit. I preferred the 30 minute episodes of s1 to the 50 minute episodes of season2. The pace and story was tighter. There seemed to be a bit too much filler in the season 2 episodes. In addition to the tighter pace and story, I found the characters more interesting and the choreography was better. I still enjoyed season 2, but it fell short of season 1. I'm hoping there will be another season.

I'm now starting a rewatch of one of the finest programs in television history, Strangers with Candy.

I watched the first couple of episodes of The Good Place on Netflix. I thought it was fun, I like the surreal silliness of it. I do associate Kristen Bell most with Veronica Mars where she showed some good comic timing, and I think she's brought it here as well even if her character is a bit shallow so far.