RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

421 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Doing a rewatch of Morse at the moment. Still one of my all-time favourite shows. Sadly, like Morse, I think Veltigar is destined for disappointment on the romance front. 

Don't jinx me dude, it's hard enough already :P 

4 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

An ex-fiancee from Oxford university days does turn up in one of the episodes though. She was referred to in one of the Endeavour episodes - something like 'an angel crossing the quadrangle' and she seems to have been the reason Morse didn't finish his degree.

That will be Susan probably, her mother featured in the penultimate episode of the fourth season if I'm not mistaken :)

On the romantic future of Morse

Spoiler

I know Morse is single in the original series, but I just hope Endeavour gives him a bit of happiness before we reach that point. Like, ideally he gets together with Joan, they live happy and then the series ends and then it's up to us to guess what happened in between the end of Endeavour and the start of Morse. Did she die like the wife of Lewis? Did they divorce? Something like that :) 

4 hours ago, Isis said:

We watch a fair bit of Lewis (spin off from Morse, after Morse retires his side-kick takes over) as it's on telly all the time, seemingly. But I think we might go back and do a complete Morse rewatch right from the start. I struggle to recall anything about his personal life from the show actually. But it does feel like a l-o-n-g time since I've watched an episode of it.

Oh, I know Lewis. I think it's one of the better murder mysteries as well. And it's conveniently played a lot on the tele over here. I hope in a few years we get a Hathaway spin-off ;) 

I have never consciously seen an episode of Morse. Perhaps when I was a kid or something, but definitely not that I can firmly recall anything from it. That's why I think it would probably be a good idea to check it out one of these days :)

4 hours ago, Isis said:

YES. THIS SERIES IS THE BEST.

:cheers:

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Hide contents

Oh, I know Lewis. I think it's one of the better murder mysteries as well. And it's conveniently played a lot on the tele over here. I hope in a few years we get a Hathaway spin-off ;)

Isn't there one already? I am blanking on the name right now...

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Don't jinx me dude, it's hard enough already :P 

That will be Susan probably, her mother featured in the penultimate episode of the fourth season if I'm not mistaken :)

On the romantic future of Morse

Reveal hidden contents

I know Morse is single in the original series, but I just hope Endeavour gives him a bit of happiness before we reach that point. Like, ideally he gets together with Joan, they live happy and then the series ends and then it's up to us to guess what happened in between the end of Endeavour and the start of Morse. Did she die like the wife of Lewis? Did they divorce? Something like that :) 

I have never consciously seen an episode of Morse. Perhaps when I was a kid or something, but definitely not that I can firmly recall anything from it. That's why I think it would probably be a good idea to check it out one of these days :)

:cheers:

Sorry, I should have said disappointment on the TV romance front. :D Not a dude, btw

It was Susan, played by Joanna David in Morse. IRL, she's Hathaway's aunt (married to Edward Fox). I haven't seen the 4th season of Endeavour yet - something to look forward to.

I'm afraid I'm ancient enough to have seen Morse all the way through its TV run. On the plus side of being old, I generally forget all the twists and turns, which is good for rewatches.

11 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

:D Not a dude, btw

Women can be dudes too. There's a revolutionary song dedicated to this:

I watched Big Little Lies. I thought the basic plot wasn't anything special, but it was elevated by some great acting. As a murder mystery the conclusion felt both predictable and slightly random, I think the show could probably have been almost as good without the murder element, the scenes with Kidman and her therapist were much more tense than the police interviews. I think basically the whole cast did a good job here - Kidman/Dern/Witherspoon/Woodley and Sarsgard all did very well and even the child actors were good.

Just watched The X-Files premiere...god, what crap is this. Chris Carter should have retired from writing a long time ago. I had very low expectations after season 10 and seeing Carter was writing the premiere, and it still managed to be worse than I expected. 

Earlier today I had a good laugh looking at the Wikipedia page for the episode, where someone put under "Reception" (it's been removed now): "Pretty much everyone thinks this episode is terrible and Chris Carter is a wally". :D Sums it up pretty well.

14 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Just watched The X-Files premiere...god, what crap is this. Chris Carter should have retired from writing a long time ago. I had very low expectations after season 10 and seeing Carter was writing the premiere, and it still managed to be worse than I expected. 

Earlier today I had a good laugh looking at the Wikipedia page for the episode, where someone put under "Reception" (it's been removed now): "Pretty much everyone thinks this episode is terrible and Chris Carter is a wally". :D Sums it up pretty well.

The only episode I remember as being really good last year was the one where the monster turns into a human.  That episode was fucking hilarious.

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

The only episode I remember as being really good last year was the one where the monster turns into a human.  That episode was fucking hilarious.

That was a Darin Morgan episode. All the episodes written by Chris Carter were the worst last season, but in this episode he's outdone himself with rehashed conspiracies and stupid twists.

I thought the X-Files return was awful. The new Twin Peaks wasn’t much better. These 90’s shows are better off being left back in the decade they belong. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I thought the X-Files return was awful. The new Twin Peaks wasn’t much better. These 90’s shows are better off being left back in the decade they belong. 

I enjoyed the Were-Monster episode, mostly because it was dumb as hell and really funny, but the rest was pretty bad.

So I guess you guys aren't gonna check out Roseanne? :P

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched Big Little Lies. I thought the basic plot wasn't anything special, but it was elevated by some great acting. As a murder mystery the conclusion felt both predictable and slightly random, I think the show could probably have been almost as good without the murder element, the scenes with Kidman and her therapist were much more tense than the police interviews. I think basically the whole cast did a good job here - Kidman/Dern/Witherspoon/Woodley and Sarsgard all did very well and even the child actors were good.

Sure it was green lit for a second season, which would hopefully focus on more of the stuff you liked (and I agree they were the best parts). I believe Kidman and Witherspoon were involving the author when looking for further stores to tell with these characters so it could be good

I have two episodes left of Netflix's The End of the Fucking World. This dark comedy has been very good so far. Only 8 twenty minute episodes, so very easy to binge. The main characters have grown on me. The first few episodes, they were a bit annoying, but they become very well fleshed out and sympathetic over the course of the series. Perhaps a millennial version of True Romance, but that may just be the kids' outfits. Plus, Yara is in it.

7 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I enjoyed it as did A LOT of people on my news feed. Not surprising to me.

Outside of your personal feed, the show was widely panned.  However, clearly being overwhelmingly disliked doesn't have much to do with number of people watching.  Netflix didn'tmention it as a well enjoyed show, merely that it was watched by  lot of people.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:06 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Saw Hell or High Water a couple days ago. Been meaning to watch it for some time. I enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges is perfect in that role. Ben Foster and Chris Pine were good as well. Thought the exchange between Pine and Bridges at the end was the best part.

I also recently saw this for the first time and definitely thought it was solid.  Kind of a modern western with pickup trucks instead of horses.  Ben Foster was a convincing prick.  

I went ahead and watched Gunpowder and thought it was quite weak and am surprised that it was made.  It also felt a bit ominous for Kit Harrington to me.  He felt like a lifeless Jon Snow but without the Stark family background and Castle Black brothers to help endear the audience to him.  It feels like he might struggle to escape this roll.

Finally decided to start The Expanse after hearing about it on here and other places. I was trying to wait for Amazon Prime to add S2 so I could binge the first couple seasons but it seems to be taking forever.  Halfway through S1 and I’m liking it so far. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Outside of your personal feed, the show was widely panned.  However, clearly being overwhelmingly disliked doesn't have much to do with number of people watching.  Netflix didn'tmention it as a well enjoyed show, merely that it was watched by  lot of people.

From what I've seen, the show got panned by critics but was mostly received positively by viewers.  I have yet to watch it, so I can't personally comment on quality, but it seems like an instance where critics and viewers pretty strongly disagreed.

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Finally decided to start The Expanse after hearing about it on here and other places. I was trying to wait for Amazon Prime to add S2 so I could binge the first couple seasons but it seems to be taking forever.  Halfway through S1 and I’m liking it so far. 

It's a great show. I bought the first couple eps of S2 on Prime ($2.99 per ep I think) and then Prime magically offered the rest of the season to me for $1. Needless to say I bought it. 

Who's the better brooder: Holden or Jon Snow?

Edited by l2 0 5 5

8 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

It's a great show. I bought the first couple eps of S2 on Prime ($2.99 per ep I think) and then Prime magically offered the rest of the season to me for $1. Needless to say I bought it. 

Who's the better brooder: Holden or Jon Snow?

Ha he even looks a lot like Kit.