Fate of the Simarils in the 5th Age

Seiche

28 minutes ago, Seiche said:

Short and humorous speculation about the fate of the missing silmarils. Spoiler alert that Santa Clause and Marsellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction are implicated.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/12/26/a-history-of-the-silmarils-in-the-fifth-age/

+1

I liked the link, particularly San Tulkas.  Although weirdly the wikipedia page for Maglor in there says he cast himself into the sea based on the Lay of Leithian but the Silmarillion doesn't say he died at all.

40 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Why not?

It diminishes the Silmarils to mere trinkets or novelties.  This is an artifact so potent that the Valar themselves went to war over them.  That destroyed a fair portion of Middle-Earth.  That one could be recovered by happenstance is just wrong.

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It diminishes the Silmarils to mere trinkets or novelties.  This is an artifact so potent that the Valar themselves went to war over them.  That destroyed a fair portion of Middle-Earth.  That one could be recovered by happenstance is just wrong.

I can see that. I just like the idea of the Silmarils being part of the overarching theme of Middle Earth’s history that pop up from time to time. A kind of Easter egg if you will. 

2 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

I can see that. I just like the idea of the Silmarils being part of the overarching theme of Middle Earth’s history that pop up from time to time. A kind of Easter egg if you will. 

Again, reducing them to “easter eggs” just seems wrong to me.

6 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

That’s what Galadriel’s phial is no? Sam explicitly points this out iirc 

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That’s what Galadriel’s phial is no? Sam explicitly points this out iirc 

Exactly. That’s why I thought it would be neat if they were to show up in the Hobbit as well. Although I understand where Scott is coming from. 

Archived