Characters who dream about flying

np1234

Throughout ASOIF I have found three characters that each shown a fascination with flying or dream about flying in some regard. Those three being Bran, Sweetrobin and Euron. I dont think its a coincidence that these characters each exhibit greenseeing or warging abilities. ( I believe Sweetrobin is also a warg).

Are there any other characters that have a fascination with flying that I may have missed? 

The basis/connection was that all of them were injured (Bran, Euron, and Mors).

And the flying dreams,

"When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly," he announced. "When I woke, I couldn't . . . or so the maester said. But what if he lied?" - AFFC - The Reaver

but other people/children have had flying dreams.

Sweetrobin was not part of the original theory.

2 hours ago, np1234 said:

Throughout ASOIF I have found three characters that each shown a fascination with flying or dream about flying in some regard. Those three being Bran, Sweetrobin and Euron. I dont think its a coincidence that these characters each exhibit greenseeing or warging abilities. ( I believe Sweetrobin is also a warg).

Are there any other characters that have a fascination with flying that I may have missed? 

Dany dreams of flying a dragon the night before she hatches her eggs.

4 hours ago, np1234 said:

I dont think its a coincidence that these characters each exhibit greenseeing or warging abilities. ( I believe Sweetrobin is also a warg).

Hmmmm... I'm going to have to come back to this as the hour is late and I want to come at this full-force as it is a topic that interests me. I too think that Sweetrobin probably has "green" abilities and a lot of these falling vs flying dreams and allusions are worth a go over.

A lot of characters have flying dreams it just figuring out if they are magical dreams or wishful dreams.

Bran and Daenerys both had a magical flying dream

Tyrion would dream of flying a dragon

Sansa day dreams (wishes) to grow wings and fly away from the Vale

I think Arya may have had a flying dream as well but I can't remember the passage. I'll have to check up on this one.

I think Jon might begin to have a magical flying dream in WoW because I think it fits in with the injury/sickness = magic theme.

Maybe Bloodraven reach out to Euron as well but realized he was crazy and backed off?

12 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

How does sweetrobin or Euron exhibit greensight?  Sweetrobin is frail and Euron requires Shade of the evening to have his visions. Requiring a magic potion/drug is as far from green magic as you can get in the books 

Sweetrobin is more speculative. He has trouble sleeping and claims to hear voices, he sits on a weirwood throne like bloodraven and bran and he is obsessed with making people fly. There seems to be a few elements that mirror with Bran. 

Most of Eurons information comes from the forsaken chapter so I wont post in case of spoilers.  But in the reaver chapter Euron tells his brother that he dreamed he could fly.

9 hours ago, np1234 said:

Sweetrobin is more speculative. He has trouble sleeping and claims to hear voices, he sits on a weirwood throne like bloodraven and bran and he is obsessed with making people fly. There seems to be a few elements that mirror with Bran. 

Got it 

9 hours ago, np1234 said:

Most of Eurons information comes from the forsaken chapter so I wont post in case of spoilers.  But in the reaver chapter Euron tells his brother that he dreamed he could fly.

Both Euron, his brother and every single child on the planet dreams they can fly. Euron finally does with the a magical potion from a warlock 

21 hours ago, WildlingWitch said:

think Arya may have had a flying dream as well but I can't remember the passage. I'll have to check up on this one.

She whishes she were a winged wolf, or maybe she dreams it, I'm not sure. I think this is very significant of her warging hability. Journey has a greendream about Bran where he is a winged wolf - these are the only two times such an image appears in the books.

textual evidence: 

ACOK, Bran IV

Jojen's eyes were the color of moss, and sometimes when he looked at you he seemed to be seeing something else. Like now. "I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth with grey stone chains," he said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

ASOS, Arya XIII

I wish I could change into a wolf and grow wings and fly away.

29 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

She whishes she were a winged wolf, or maybe she dreams it, I'm not sure. I think this is very significant of her warging hability. Journey has a greendream about Bran where he is a winged wolf - these are the only two times such an image appears in the books.

textual evidence: 

ACOK, Bran IV

Jojen's eyes were the color of moss, and sometimes when he looked at you he seemed to be seeing something else. Like now. "I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth with grey stone chains," he said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

ASOS, Arya XIII

I wish I could change into a wolf and grow wings and fly away.

That's right, that's the part that I was thinking of. thank you

Not only do they dream of flying, they dream of flying to space..!

A Clash of Kings - Arya X

As Arya crossed the yard to the bathhouse, she spied a raven circling down toward the rookery, and wondered where it had come from and what message it carried. Might be it's from Robb, come to say it wasn't true about Bran and Rickon. She chewed on her lip, hoping. If I had wings I could fly back to Winterfell and see for myself. And if it was true, I'd just fly away, fly up past the moon and the shining stars, and see all the things in Old Nan's stories, dragons and sea monsters and the Titan of Braavos, and maybe I wouldn't ever fly back unless I wanted to.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest

As the last light of the sun faded, Black Harren's men stared into the gathering darkness, clutching their spears and crossbows. When no dragon appeared, some may have thought that Aegon's threats had been hollow. But Aegon Targaryen took Balerion up high, through the clouds, up and up until the dragon was no bigger than a fly upon the moon. Only then did he descend, well inside the castle walls. On wings as black as pitch, Balerion plunged through the night, and when the great towers of Harrenhal appeared beneath him, the dragon roared his fury and bathed them in black fire, shot through with swirls of red.

A Game of Thrones - Bran IV

In his dream he was climbing again, pulling himself up an ancient windowless tower, his fingers forcing themselves between blackened stones, his feet scrabbling for purchase. Higher and higher he climbed, through the clouds and into the night sky, and still the tower rose before him. When he paused to look down, his head swam dizzily and he felt his fingers slipping. Bran cried out and clung for dear life. The earth was a thousand miles beneath him and he could not fly. He could not fly. He waited until his heart had stopped pounding, until he could breathe, and he began to climb again. There was no way to go but up. Far above him, outlined against a vast pale moon, he thought he could see the shapes of gargoyles. His arms were sore and aching, but he dared not rest. He forced himself to climb faster. The gargoyles watched him ascend. Their eyes glowed red as hot coals in a brazier. Perhaps once they had been lions, but now they were twisted and grotesque. Bran could hear them whispering to each other in soft stone voices terrible to hear. He must not listen, he told himself, he must not hear, so long as he did not hear them he was safe. But when the gargoyles pulled themselves loose from the stone and padded down the side of the tower to where Bran clung, he knew he was not safe after all. "I didn't hear," he wept as they came closer and closer, "I didn't, I didn't."

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys I

If I had wings, I would want to fly too, Dany thought. The Targaryens of old had ridden upon dragonback when they went to war. She tried to imagine what it would feel like, to straddle a dragon's neck and soar high into the air. It would be like standing on a mountaintop, only better. The whole world would be spread out below. If I flew high enough, I could even see the Seven Kingdoms, and reach up and touch the comet.

A Game of Thrones - Bran III

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him. And he looked past the Wall, past endless forests cloaked in snow, past the frozen shore and the great blue-white rivers of ice and the dead plains where nothing grew or lived. North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep into the heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of his tears burned on his cheeks.

On 12/29/2017 at 3:49 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

@AlaskanSandman touches on some of this in one of his threads. An interesting subject indeed. IIRC we only discussed Sweet Robin & Bran 

Ha, you stopped following i think. I listed Bran and Sweet Robins relations to the Dawn Age. Setting them on opposing sides in the war. Though it doesn't look good for Bran

Archived