Say Jon becomes king, would the southerners accept a king who keeps to the old gods?

Lightning Tiger

I reckon it will be fine.

Jon seems very much in favour of religious freedom in the books and I've seen nothing to suggest that he would be any sort of religious zealot in the show, so there would be no reason for him to personally antagonise them on religious grounds. As for the nobility themselves, given that Cersei Lannister blew up this world's equivalent of the bloomin' Vatican and Pope in the show and no one even made a fuss, I doubt that the few of them still alive would give a damn their new King worships trees.

1 hour ago, Maester Yandel said:

That would not be the immediate concern. The southerners will question the legitimacy of Jon's claim on the Iron Throne. Most of them won't probably believe on Sam and Bran's combined knowledge about his true parentage unless a really solid evidence arises.

The evidence is his Targaryen bride and dragon i would venture to guess. That seems like solid evidence. 

If he does not have that then you are right. Not sure why anyone would believe him.

On 12/31/2017 at 8:16 AM, Red Tiger said:

In the books? Nah.

On the show? Sure.

Agreed.

The books won't ever have him near the throne (I assume, I can't see it going that direction).

The show, there are enough ways to write it to go the way you want and have it make just enough sense that you don't question it right away.

16 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

The evidence is his Targaryen bride and dragon i would venture to guess. That seems like solid evidence. 

If he does not have that then you are right. Not sure why anyone would believe him.

Then they'll probably rather have Daenerys as ruler than a "bastard". Plus, I guess everybody knows (since its written in their history) that not only the Targaryens can tame dragons. So I still doubt that they'd accept him as ruler even if he has both.

Moreover, if Jon and Daenerys wins against the Others/wights, no one from the south would believe they did went on war with them (unless they "bring the dead" to them). Everybody else would just think that it's the dragon queen and the northerners' plan/folly to win the hearts of the Westerosi and usurp the Iron Throne.

3 hours ago, Maester Yandel said:

Then they'll probably rather have Daenerys as ruler than a "bastard". Plus, I guess everybody knows (since its written in their history) that not only the Targaryens can tame dragons. So I still doubt that they'd accept him as ruler even if he has both.

Moreover, if Jon and Daenerys wins against the Others/wights, no one from the south would believe they did went on war with them (unless they "bring the dead" to them). Everybody else would just think that it's the dragon queen and the northerners' plan/folly to win the hearts of the Westerosi and usurp the Iron Throne.

Nah. 

IF Jon and Dany beat the Others and even one dragon is alive its over. 

There is a reason why they had that scene where everyone knelt to Dany after she fried the Tarleys and how Dany all of a sudden had some mysterious lands that popped out of nowhere that she did not want to give up. 

Medieval warfare was all about targeting civilian populations to show the futility of the local lord and to demonstrate that if people wanted protection they needed to accept you as their lord. 

If there is still a dragon and cersei is wiped out, no one is going to be arguing with Jon about his parentage unless they have a very good reason for thinking they can defend themselves against the dragon. 

People will quible if there is no dragon and they have no reason to fear Jon. 

I’d argue given his experiences he’d support all religions and so would Danny. At this point I’d be surprised if at the end he holds to any one faith, but rather believes in a higher power, and could theoretically fake/ be polite enough to partake in various religious ceremonies as needed if he were king. Don’t think the common people would really notice or accuse him of holding to some false faith as long as he doesn’t come out with forceful religious laws or loudly, and often, proclaims his beliefs. 

On 1/9/2018 at 9:54 PM, SecretWeapon said:

Given oaths in Westeros include the old gods too, i doubt it'd even be a problem. R'hllor is a whole different deal though

This.  The religion of the Old Gods, while only majorly prevalent in the North, has remained an ingrained part of Westeros culture. Swearing by the Old Gods and the New, Godswoods, etc. So while it may be frowned upon, so long as Jon doesn't try to "cast down" the Faith of the Seven, he would likely be accepted just fine. 

No-one deposed Cersei for blowing the Faith the fuck up.

It's safe to assume D&D aren't smart enough to write the religious masses, as, well, authentically religious. Only two kinds of Faith-of-the-Seven worshippers exist to D&D:

The hypocritical strawmen who ruin fun, beat people up, and are every 'ist' under the sun, and the happy hippies that live to be butchered so D&D can beat us over the head with the message that people are EVHUL.

Because everyone sucks Jon's dick all day every day, I imagine when Jon ascends we'll be lucky to have even a footnote on what the smallfolk think, religiously or otherwise. Everything will just be awesome because the hero has slain the dragon and married the princess.

2 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

It's safe to assume D&D aren't smart enough to write the religious masses, as, well, authentically religious. Only two kinds of Faith-of-the-Seven worshippers exist to D&D:

Yes, I doubt the southeners would care about that given their previous responses.

2 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

The hypocritical strawmen who ruin fun, beat people up, and are every 'ist' under the sun, and the happy hippies that live to be butchered so D&D can beat us over the head with the message that people are EVHUL.

Because everyone sucks Jon's dick all day every day, I imagine when Jon ascends we'll be lucky to have even a footnote on what the smallfolk think, religiously or otherwise. Everything will just be awesome because the hero has slain the dragon and married the princess.

If that's then endgame, then yes, it will be like this.

11 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

The hypocritical strawmen who ruin fun, beat people up, and are every 'ist' under the sun,

Those were definitely strawmen because such groups can't be found in real life.

and the happy hippies that live to be butchered so D&D can beat us over the head with the message that people are EVHUL.

Even within your model, the angry masses (who were religiously supporting the FM and had already attacked a king way before that) should've been eager to depose Cersei, so I'm not sure how your paragraphs there fit together.

that live to be butchered so D&D can beat us over the head with the message that people are EVHUL.

Not people are ehvul, just a rogue group from the Brotherhood who then got swiftly punished; also I think they were out to collect "protection money" and other goods, and slaughtered them for refusing to give them anything / having nothing to give.

Judging from the leaks, doesn't look that way at all lol - but we'll see.

Archived