Brienne's Honor in Pennytree

Curled Finger

34 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

@LynnS, interesting that you bring up Brienne touching her sword... I think that's very meaningful but in a different way. While I agree Brienne is ready for violence, I've always taken her touching the sword and thinking, "Oathkeeper" to mean she is conflicted about her vows - to Cat and to Jaime - but at the same time putting Jaime first. He gave her the hero sword, he entrusted her with his honour, and she loves him.

It's got to be something like this. Knights swear oaths by their swords, according to the hedge knights Brienne met on her journey. Other fighters do too, and Brienne more than anyone. Seems to me like she would touch Oathkeeper when she is remembering her oaths and thinks she is keeping them. Why and how, I don't know.

IIRC Jaime once thought his oaths to Cat were invalid because she held Brienne's sword to his heart to make him promise. The honour is in the hilt, perhaps?

I think Brienne will do what she can to bring him in alive. And that will be her version of honor. 

I understand peoples fears but I don't think LSH is a mere bloodthirsty psychopath. I think she's intelligent enough to engineer a more refined approach especially with the aid of tbwb. You'd be a damn fool to think Jaime is worth more dead than alive. 

The scene we have with LSH, she has less humanity, definitely. But let's not miss the fact that she's waiting to be appeased, not by bloodshed, but by a satisfactory answer. 

Just now, TheThreeEyedCow said:

I think Brienne will do what she can to bring him in alive. And that will be her version of honor. 

I understand peoples fears but I don't think LSH is a mere bloodthirsty psychopath. I think she's intelligent enough to engineer a more refined approach especially with the aid of tbwb. You'd be a damn fool to think Jaime is worth more dead than alive. 

The scene we have with LSH, she has less humanity, definitely. But let's not miss the fact that she's waiting to be appeased, not by bloodshed, but by a satisfactory answer. 

Oh I think you are right.  This isn't going to be about taking revenge.  Otherwise, Brienne would not have been given back her sword when given the choice. I think there has to be a vehicle for getting Jaime and Brienne into the larger conflict between ice and fire.  Seeing is believing.

10 minutes ago, LynnS said:

The biggest surprise for me would be to LML voicing that audio book.  I have suggested that before.

That's great!  Let's have he and the Amethyst Panda (?) do it together.   I could listen to her all day. 

16 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

It's got to be something like this. Knights swear oaths by their swords, according to the hedge knights Brienne met on her journey. Other fighters do too, and Brienne more than anyone. Seems to me like she would touch Oathkeeper when she is remembering her oaths and thinks she is keeping them. Why and how, I don't know.

IIRC Jaime once thought his oaths to Cat were invalid because she held Brienne's sword to his heart to make him promise. The honour is in the hilt, perhaps?

Hey Springwatch, that's a good reminder about Jamie.   I think that's an interpretive thing, too.   Jamie is conflicted about all vows, but he swears this one and he means to keep it. You could be right about Brienne's state of mind as well.   Thanks for bringing it up. 

4 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That's great!  Let's have he and the Amethyst Panda (?) do it together.   I could listen to her all day. 

Yes! They would be over the moon.   It's been a while since I've listened to Mystical Astronomy; they would do a nice job. 

5 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Sorry to barge in like this, but Amethyst Panda? Wut?

14 minutes ago, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Welcome to the discussion, Ser.   I'm with you to a certain extent.   LSH has a plan.  A live Jamie Lannister is crucial.   If the gossip is true, she's right there by the Twins when Brienne finds Jamie.   I don't know about intelligence--Beric seemed to just cling to the vows he made, which ended up being valiant and productive whereas LSH does appear to be hellbent on revenge.    It's written to make us underestimate this wraith.  So what is a live Jamie Lannister good for?  Right now he's Mr. Man in the Riverlands, ending sieges, taking hostages, dividing land and calling the shots.  I think he could gain access to the Twins, but I'm sure there are other situations this guy could be very useful in.   

Lady Stone Heart has hung 2 knights and a little boy.  She's pretty terrible.  But I'm sure there is a plan in this.   Do you have an idea about what Jamie could be useful to her for? 

19 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Oh I think you are right.  This isn't going to be about taking revenge.  Otherwise, Brienne would not have been given back her sword when given the choice. I think there has to be a vehicle for getting Jaime and Brienne into the larger conflict between ice and fire.  Seeing is believing.

Let's step it up a notch, LynnS.  Do you have any idea what LSH wants Jamie Lannister for? 

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sorry to barge in like this, but Amethyst Panda? Wut?

I think that's the handle LML's wife uses.  I've listened to many of his podcasts--she's got a great voice and he's no slouch either.   They are an engaging team to listen to.   I could be wrong about the name so let's go to the source... 

@LmL help me out here?  

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I think it’s actually Amethyst Koala. It is his wife that does some readings with him on his podcasts. 

3 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I think that's the handle LML's wife uses.  I've listened to many of his podcasts--she's got a great voice and he's no slouch either.   They are an engaging team to listen to.   I could be wrong about the name so let's go to the source... 

@LmL help me out here?  

Thank you both! The alias was totally unfamiliar to my [uneducated] ears! :cheers:

4 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I was so frickin close!

Nothing and no one will touch :bowdown:Dotrice. The one I would like to hear read TWOW and ADOS that could match Dotrice in voice, cadence, and intensity is Max VonSydow. Plus, this would allow him to be a proper Brynden Bloodraven Rivers and not a hack joke kindly grampa. 

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Nothing and no one will touch :bowdown:Dotrice. The one I would like to hear read TWOW and ADOS that could match Dotrice in voice, cadence, and intensity is Max VonSydow. Plus, this would allow him to be a proper Brynden Bloodraven Rivers and not a hack joke kindly grampa. 

There are two actors who do audiobooks that I think could be great: Harry Lloyd and Anton Lesser. That said, I agree that no one will ever replace my beloved Roy Dotrice. Not. Ever.

And I think I have just added MvS to my very short list, now that you bring up this idea. It would definitely help wash out the bitter taste the abomination left in my mouth irt the 3EC. :ack:

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hard act to follow for sure.  Regardless the reader the voices are cemented in my head.  I honestly hope there are just multiple readers in the next issues.  No one could do what Roy Dotrice did.   Bryeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

I am really hoping Roy Dotrice read the prologue at the very least.   (Insert little blue bowing guy for The Fattest Leech)

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There are two actors who do audiobooks that I think could be great: Harry Lloyd and Anton Lesser. That said, I agree that no one will ever replace my beloved Roy Dotrice. Not. Ever.

And I think I have just added MvS to my very short list, now that you bring up this idea. It would definitely help wash out the bitter taste the abomination left in my mouth irt the 3EC. :ack:

You know, I really didn't care for Harry Lloyd's narration of the Dunc & Egg novellas.  OTH I LOVED Iain Glen's TPATQ.  But, I still compare everyone to Dotrice and they all fall flat.   What has Anton Lesser read?   I will check him out post haste.  

My reread begins 1/1/18.  I will try listening and reading together to see what I pick up.  That's like ringing in the New Year with an old friend.  

Archived