TTTNE 472: A new Year, a new Ruler-or not

Jen'ari

S3 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has been a really big thing for me because I’m so happy with how they are dealing with certain aspects (they deal well with this stuff in the previous seasons too but this season moreso) that I won’t specify so as not to spoil felice. But basically thank you to Rachel Bloom and Aline Brown-McKenna and other’s for your insight and sensitivity.

And for giving me a playlist I just can’t stop listening to, of course :P 

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

S3 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has been a really big thing for me because I’m so happy with how they are dealing with certain aspects (they deal well with this stuff in the previous seasons too but this season moreso) that I won’t specify so as not to spoil felice. But basically thank you to Rachel Bloom and Aline Brown-McKenna and other’s for your insight and sensitivity.

And for giving me a playlist I just can’t stop listening to, of course :P 

Do you want to lock them in a basement, but in that basement, they would also be your personal trainer? :P

The musical score in that series is the best indeed. :D They should win an Emmy or something (although Rachel doesn't care about award shows ...).

30 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Do you want to lock them in a basement, but in that basement, they would also be your personal trainer? :P

The musical score in that series is the best indeed. :D They should win an Emmy or something (although Rachel doesn't care about award shows ...).

I think they did win an Emmy for sing writing back in season one.

rachel also got a golden globe for Actress in a comedy in season one

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think they did win an Emmy for sing writing back in season one.

rachel also got a golden globe for Actress in a comedy in season one

Pity they didn't get anything this year.

13 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Pity they didn't get anything this year.

Nope not for season 2. Season 3 didn’t get anything at the Globes either. Emmys are unlikely for acting imo because it’s a network show and the Emmys already have their darlings

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Hahaha, really? :D That is very much a minor character indeed.

Really. I think she actually looked more like the Waif, but I could tell she was definitely disguised as him.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

How do you like it up to now?

Oh, it's fun. My partner isn't too keen on the musical aspect, but it's a sufficiently small percentage of the show that they're willing to put up with it for the characters and story, while for me it's the highlight.

47 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I went to the gym for the first time three days ago and my legs are still aching. I am not in the shape I thought I was :P 

Oh look, a timely new song proving once again there is always a relevant music video to post from this show!

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh look, a timely new song proving once again there is always a relevant music video to post from this show!

CexG is like Walter Moers. It has quotes for literally every occasion. :smug:

I absolutely loved the last episode and laughed so much through it.

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I went to the gym for the first time three days ago and my legs are still aching. I am not in the shape I thought I was :P 

This is me every single time I try to pretend I do sports. 

It’s snowing here. I’m hoping to go on a castle walk tomorrow and maybe catch some snow there too. Okay that’s too much to ask. No rain would be fair. 

And holy mother! I’m on a train and it’s the future! There’s WiFi and seats that aren’t 40 years old. 

I made brownies and I used the exact same recipe I followed last time. The brownies turned out to be the exact opposite of what they were last time. 

I’m not convinced that cheating away half the amount of the sugar and using margarine instead of butter could do this. Maybe it could. I don’t know. But I sort of have a suspicion that I might have accidentally added baking soda to the flour last time instead of baking powder. If that’s not the case, I’m appalled that sugar and the origin of fat can make that kind of difference.

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I made brownies and I used the exact same recipe I followed last time. The brownies turned out to be the exact opposite of what they were last time. 

I’m not convinced that cheating away half the amount of the sugar and using margarine instead of butter could do this. Maybe it could. I don’t know. But I sort of have a suspicion that I might have accidentally added baking soda to the flour last time instead of baking powder. If that’s not the case, I’m appalled that sugar and the origin of fat can make that kind of difference.

Cutting a significant amount of sugar from a recipe can result in quite a big difference yes, especially if not substituted by anything. In my experience using margarine shouldn’t impact the bake too much (though it can alter flavour). What did they turn out like? 

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Cutting a significant amount of sugar from a recipe can result in quite a big difference yes, especially if not substituted by anything. In my experience using margarine shouldn’t impact the bake too much (though it can alter flavour). What did they turn out like? 

Cakey. They have the consistency of proper chocolate cake. Last time I had a chewy crunchy brownie. The batter was significantly different too, very runny last time, and so thick I had to spread it in the tin with a spoon myself this time. It also raised quite a bit in the oven. 

What can I safely substitute sugar with? 

1 minute ago, RhaenysB said:

Cakey. They have the consistency of proper chocolate cake. Last time I had a chewy crunchy brownie. The batter was significantly different too, very runny last time, and so thick I had to spread it in the tin with a spoon myself. It also raised quite a bit in the oven. 

What can I safely substitute sugar with? 

Definitely something up with your batter. Brownie mix should pour and settle itself into the tin, not have to be spread. Did you put enough eggs into the mix? Did you use the same amount of marg as you would butter? Sounds to me like there was too much flour in your mixture, or not enough of your wet ingredients.

it depends on the recipe for sugar substitutes. Personally I would not substitute the sugar in brownies, I can’t think of anything that would really work well instead. In other recipes though, honey can often be a good replacement, or other such ‘natural’ sweeteners. But it really does depend on each individual recipe

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Definitely something up with your batter. Brownie mix should pour and settle itself into the tin, not have to be spread. Did you put enough eggs into the mix? Did you use the same amount of marg as you would butter? Sounds to me like there was too much flour in your mixture, or not enough of your wet ingredients.

it depends on the recipe for sugar substitutes. Personally I would not substitute the sugar in brownies, I can’t think of anything that would really work well instead. In other recipes though, honey can often be a good replacement, or other such ‘natural’ sweeteners. But it really does depend on each individual recipe

Yeah, I had four eggs, 250g chocolate and 250g margarine. I’m sure I wasn’t precise with the flour measurement, I might have gone up 10-20g, but again, does that make this kind of a difference? 

Oh well, these chocolate cake chunks make a perfect breakfast with custard so that’s okay. I guess I’ll just have to hunt down chocolate with no added sugar and stick to the recipe next time. 

10 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, I had four eggs, 250g chocolate and 250g margarine. I’m sure I wasn’t precise with the flour measurement, I might have gone up 10-20g, but again, does that make this kind of a difference? 

Oh well, these chocolate cake chunks make a perfect breakfast with custard so that’s okay. I guess I’ll just have to hunt down chocolate with no added sugar and stick to the recipe next time. 

Extra flour can make a difference yes - if the result was more “cakey/sponge-like” then it’s probably related to that. 

Archived