TTTNE 472: A new Year, a new Ruler-or not

Jen'ari

15 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I had an emo phase too, but no eyeliner or hair dye because “smart” girls don’t wear makeup or color their hair... :rolleyes: My smartness lasted till the end of high school... was it worth it to not let me wear makeup? I think not. Oh well. 

So I miraculously got through this day without a migraine and it was actually good. I am happy that it’s over.  I’m now on the train, if things go well, I’ll be home by 10pm. And the upper-second class of this train is actually alright. I still wish I had time to get that extra ticket to make your second class ticket first class, but it was either that or dinner and I opted for not starving. (And I wish my firm was willing to pay the extra two euros a first class ticket would cost but oh well, I’m sure they would go bankrupt if they did)

So all in all this day was good. A little awkward here and there, but overall okay. I am happy though that I took the train instead of my colleague’s car, I don’t want to spend 3 hours talking to someone I met 24 hours ago (just introvert problems). Plus, like this I could meet up for a coffee with a high school friend of mine, which is nice because we only meet every couple years. 

I don’t know why I shared all this, feel free to ignore. 

I learned an amazing trick for migraines... it's just a facial relaxation technique.  Find a short meditation (6-10 min) that helps you to be aware of tension in your face and practice that at night.  During the day, you can frequently just notice if there is any tension and relax. I find that by focusing on facial muscles, it makes is easier for me to identify and release the tension, rather than it being a very abstract concept.

I suffered migraines for years, and this is the only thing that has helped.  Plus, it's also very good to alleviate resting bitch face B)

1 hour ago, Jez Bell said:

I was never really into music when I was younger.  I tended to just love whatever the BF of the moment was into.  In a way, having no opinion at all accidentally broadened my horizons :blush:

I don't even play guitar, but I would so learn if I have a shiny red one.

I started learning young so by the time I was a teenager I was quite opinionated, I’ve got a few others both shiny and non shiny now but that red one has huge sentimental value, something I wish I’d never sold :(.

5 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

I learned an amazing trick for migraines... it's just a facial relaxation technique.  Find a short meditation (6-10 min) that helps you to be aware of tension in your face and practice that at night.  During the day, you can frequently just notice if there is any tension and relax. I find that by focusing on facial muscles, it makes is easier for me to identify and release the tension, rather than it being a very abstract concept.

I suffered migraines for years, and this is the only thing that has helped.  Plus, it's also very good to alleviate resting bitch face B)

I’ll  google this, thanks for letting me know! 

So, imagine you have a child.  She's so lovely in every way.  But, you know, she's a teen with everything awkward that goes along with it.

She wants a sweater.  It's expensive.  And it's ugly.  It's so, so ugly.

Except it's not a child.  It's not a sweater.  And it's 3 hours away by train... that's my tomorrow.

:)

40 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

I’m not sure I can follow but if the question is whether you should buy something, the answer is always yes (as long as you can afford it of course). 

:D That is actually very good advice.  Not that it matters now.

I'm halfway to Manchester and I have just found out that my meeting is cancelled.  So I will just be riding the train all day.  On the bright side, I now have time to catch up on all that Sudoku I've been missing.  

Uh, that sounds inconvenient. I don't have work today, but luckily I found out about that yesterday already. I have to bring my laptop back to the repair shop, I wonder when I get it back this time ... :rolleyes: At least it should work properly then!

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Uh, that sounds inconvenient

I know, I put mascara on, and everything!

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I have to bring my laptop back to the repair shop, I wonder when I get it back this time

I would feel like I lost my arm.  I have a special relationship with my laptop.  I sleep with it next to me.

58 minutes ago, Jez Bell said:

I'm halfway to Manchester and I have just found out that my meeting is cancelled.  So I will just be riding the train all day.  On the bright side, I now have time to catch up on all that Sudoku I've been missing.  

I quite enjoy a nice train journey, as long as it’s a fairly quiet train. It gives me time to just zone out from the world for a while. 

I once did London to Aberdeen though, which, um, no, do not recommend :stillsick: 

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I quite enjoy a nice train journey, as long as it’s a fairly quiet train. It gives me time to just zone out from the world for a while. 

I once did London to Aberdeen though, which, um, no, do not recommend :stillsick: 

I'm hoping to make the most of it.  The way out has been fairly quiet, so far.  I worry that the way back may be the Thursday afternoon drunk-train to London.

But it's a nice day, the scenery is beautiful, and I have wifi.

I loooooove when stuff gets cancelled. You can either catch up on your to do list or just have some quiet chill time. I’ve also come to realize I love train rides (as long as it’s under passable conditions, which doesn’t happen all the time with our trains)

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Uh, that sounds inconvenient. I don't have work today, but luckily I found out about that yesterday already. I have to bring my laptop back to the repair shop, I wonder when I get it back this time ... :rolleyes: At least it should work properly then!

Hope your laptop gets well soon. Mine is kinda dying... poor baby is 6 years old and way too old for the hardcore everyday use. I will most likely have to replace it this spring. I just have no idea what I should replace it with. 

5 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

I would feel like I lost my arm.  I have a special relationship with my laptop.  I sleep with it next to me.

I need it all the time too. I don't sleep beside it though.

3 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I loooooove when stuff gets cancelled. You can either catch up on your to do list or just have some quiet chill time. I’ve also come to realize I love train rides (as long as it’s under passable conditions, which doesn’t happen all the time with our trains)

Hope your laptop gets well soon. Mine is kinda dying... poor baby is 6 years old and way too old for the hardcore everyday use. I will most likely have to replace it this spring. I just have no idea what I should replace it with. 

I dislike it when stuff gets cancelled last minute, but I guess more free time ist fine. ;) But if you are paid per hours, every time something is cancelled, you get less money.

My laptop is going to be 5 in summer and apparently the hard drive is kaputt. I was wondering if I should also buy a new one instead of repairing, but repair is still cheaper at this point. I would not know what to replace it with either.

And I ate at a Mexican restaurant and had "something something something pickle, taco, salsa, verde cheesecake something, tamale, something margarita, taco, stew! Does the chef know what Mexico is?!" running through my head.

I dislike it when stuff gets cancelled last minute, but I guess more free time ist fine. ;) But if you are paid per hours, every time something is cancelled, you get less money.

It's not really about the money, but it was just frustrating.  I had suggested Skype, and we will end up doing that tomorrow.  It would have saved me 6 hours lugging around a projector :unsure:

My laptop is going to be 5 in summer and apparently the hard drive is kaputt. I was wondering if I should also buy a new one instead of repairing, but repair is still cheaper at this point. I would not know what to replace it with either.

Mr. Jez keeps suggesting a Microsoft surface, because mine is also dying.  I like my Dell.  It's light, fast, quiet, the battery lasts forever... I really don't want something fancy, just reliable.

7 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Get a MacBook/Macbook Pro, the OS is so much nicer to use than those ridiculous squares Windows seems to have developed a fondness of :P.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

And I ate at a Mexican restaurant and had "something something something pickle, taco, salsa, verde cheesecake something, tamale, something margarita, taco, stew! Does the chef know what Mexico is?!" running through my head.

My work arrangement isn’t quite like that, if a work thing gets cancelled, I can 100% do other work things in the time I won (if I want to). 

I sent my laptop in for a cleaning in the summer. Results: they did not actually clean the keyboard, it’s still loud and gets warm very quickly and the delivery company lost it when it was supposed to brought back. I didn’t get it when I was supposed to and it took me hours of dreary phone calls to make them get their arses back to the warehouse and Deliver it around 9pm instead of 9am. I’m sure it would be cheaper to get it repaired, but these things get outdated so quickly and this model had been discontinued for years. I’m not even sure they could get a new battery for it. 

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Get a MacBook/Macbook Pro, the OS is so much nicer to use than those ridiculous squares Windows seems to have developed a fondness of :P.

So much money and many compatibility issues. I hate the new windows, no question, but I’m not convinced I would be friends with the Mac OS. Plus, I do like office, I wouldn’t give up on that. 

Ok, all you lovelies... I have come to wish you the most fabulous, relaxing, rejuvenating, intoxicating weekend... or whatever floats your boat :)

Weekend.........?

*looks around searching for whoever ‘weekend’ is*

:idea: 

*goes back to finishing a presentation and preparing admin for tomorrow’s my-alleged-day-off’s tasks* 

56 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

My work arrangement isn’t quite like that, if a work thing gets cancelled, I can 100% do other work things in the time I won (if I want to).

I COULD IF I WANTED TOOOOO ...

Sorry.

I can also go home and prepare further lessons and whatever, but I do not get paid for that. And don't suddenly get an extra lesson to teach if one is cancelled.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I’M SO AFRAID OF HORSES!

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

So much money and many compatibility issues. I hate the new windows, no question, but I’m not convinced I would be friends with the Mac OS. Plus, I do like office, I wouldn’t give up on that.

I don’t think there are that many compatibility issues, certainly less than there used to be, I have Office on my Mac, and Mac OS is so much more simple and logical to use, I find it to be anyway, and it is better for my music software :D.

Archived