TTTNE 472: A new Year, a new Ruler-or not

Jen'ari

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Agree about Alba. And I guess about the hotel. Although it really isn't relevant right now. Jane is going to be coming over to listen to Petra and discuss their book now, and to visit and such. She could get a job she worked for - as far as I remember, her work at the hotel was supposed to be something to get her through uni.

I don't miss Darcy because I find her and Rogelio's arguments annoying, but yes, Rogelio needs shutting down. And not just about man post partum depression nonsense.

Spoiler

Yeah that’s all true. Also Rafael could absolutely get any business or hospitality management job too, with all that experience of running a hotel. He really doesn’t need to do a bartender job. But whatever... 

Possibly upsetting story involving mice.

Spoiler

There's a mouse hole somewhere in my room, every now and then I get mice, Edinburgh is fucking overrun with them. You have no idea how much noise a mouse can make at night. This constant scrabbling noise. Not to mention the sudden blur of motion, that scares the shit out of you, as this thing flies along the wall at a million miles an hour. One popped up last night so I reset most of the traps. 6 mouse traps, which one gets the mouse? The only one I didn't bother to put fresh bait in.

I feel really guilty about killing them, they're just fulfilling a biological imperative, but once you've lost enough sleep over it, I don't feel I really have a choice (the humane traps have never worked for me.) At least the traps are quick, I have poison too, and came back one day to see this poor bugger twitching in the middle of my floor (the poison dehydrates them, effectively mummifying them so they don't smell) so I popped him in a bucket to drown him (I figured it'd be quicker, and less distressing) it took a hell of a long time.

I’m pretty sure it’s been long settled that I’m a shit person so I don’t mind saying this. 

Spoiler

Mice and rats are disgusting and dirty animals that carry diseases. Where and when I was growing up, families kept cats for the very purpose of killing mice and I’m sure any trap is more humane than that. When I was a kid our dachshunds also caught mice and traps were regular. We never once thought we should feel guilty about it. I live in the city now and every once in a while (like once every year) one can see a dead/living rat on the street. It’s more disgusting than dogshit, human urine or college student vomit on the streets which one does see on a daily basis. If a mouse appeared in my walls, I would get rodent killers and move house. I know they are only god’s creatures too, but let’s be god’s creatures far away from each other. 

4 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

I’m pretty sure it’s been long settled that I’m a shit person so I don’t mind saying this.

Hide contents

Mice and rats are disgusting and dirty animals that carry diseases. Where and when I was growing up, families kept cats for the very purpose of killing mice and I’m sure any trap is more humane than that. When I was a kid our dachshunds also caught mice and traps were regular. We never once thought we should feel guilty about it. I live in the city now and every once in a while (like once every year) one can see a dead/living rat on the street. It’s more disgusting than dogshit, human urine or college student vomit on the streets which one does see on a daily basis. If a mouse appeared in my walls, I would get rodent killers and move house. I know they are only god’s creatures too, but let’s be god’s creatures far away from each other. 

Spoiler

I hardly think that marks you as 'a shit person,' there are people in the world who go out and shoot lions, for the simple reason they want to massage their egos. I generally think animals (even the ones that gross me out) are better than people because they don't know better. A mouse doesn't know I'm going to kill it if it comes into my house, anymore than the lion knows the human a hundred yards away is about to shoot it. They're just doing the best they can in the habitat provided.

Also we had pet rats and they were the cutest little fuckers you can imagine. Keeping rats out is easy, you just make sure they can't get food, then they fuck off. Unfortunately mice are quite happy with paper, wood, and carpets which is much harder to keep out of their paws.

8 hours ago, The BlackBear said:
  Hide contents

I hardly think that marks you as 'a shit person,' there are people in the world who go out and shoot lions, for the simple reason they want to massage their egos. I generally think animals (even the ones that gross me out) are better than people because they don't know better. A mouse doesn't know I'm going to kill it if it comes into my house, anymore than the lion knows the human a hundred yards away is about to shoot it. They're just doing the best they can in the habitat provided.

Also we had pet rats and they were the cutest little fuckers you can imagine. Keeping rats out is easy, you just make sure they can't get food, then they fuck off. Unfortunately mice are quite happy with paper, wood, and carpets which is much harder to keep out of their paws.

Spoiler

There are a number of animals that gross me out but I still wouldn’t kill them. I can’t stand frogs but I don’t kill them because they eat mosquitos in summer. Again, in my childhood it was a general rule to leave frogs alone if We don’t want to be mosquito food. Same for spiders and bees. I always just put them outside. But mice and rats aren’t good or beneficial to anything or anyone. 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Snails gross me out so much. I would probably try to kill them all if only I could bring myself to go anywhere near them. And they have no use either.

I suppose I am also a shit person then.

Snails with shells are okay as far as I’m concerned. Slugs are disgusting though, ugh. 

Do you have any chance of getting a different schedule any time soon? 

59 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Snails with shells are okay as far as I’m concerned. Slugs are disgusting though, ugh. 

Do you have any chance of getting a different schedule any time soon? 

They are both disgusting little aliens.

Well, these courses last until the beginning of June, so they are staying for a few months still. I hope I get some more afternoon/evening ones in March. I was asked if I can do another early day, but said no (not only because of the schedule).

A friend of mine had basically a field in his back garden, with massive high grass in it, every time we went walking through it in shorts you;d end up with slugs all over your legs. That was pretty gross, but for some reason snails don't weird me out. Did you know, they have a tongue covered in little teeth that works like a saw to cut up leaves?

Adulthood is killing me. It thinks I’m a slug or a mouse. 

Why. Why. Why. Why. :bang::tantrum:

Spoiler

1. Why doesn’t this fucking hotel have a direct email address and WHY do they tell me the same thing twice and why don’t they see that I already provided all the information and yes I get how much the service costs, just PLEASE charge my credit card! 

2. Apparently, I have to file my tax report on Monday because I’m now a... let’s not try to translate what kind of ‘entrepreneur’. Good to know. 

3. Did you know that after renting out your flat you have to make a partial tax payment every 3 months in advance? Neither did I. Did you also know that you cannot deduct utility bills from your tax base unless they are on your name? Neither did I. Did you know that this means you have to pay income tax on your COSTS? Maybe you figured it out. 

If I had paid for the legal service that fixed me this rental contract, I would ask for my money back and get a new lawyer. Also, why does life put me in a position where I need an accountant without having money? Like, if one needs an accountant shouldn’t one have money? It’s rich people who have accountants, leave me alone, I’m just a slug. 

Guys, I’m a freaking superhero. No, the complete stranger man who provided step by step help for half an hour over the phone to silence my safety alarm that screamed for one and a half hour is the superhero. But I am proud of myself for the process of handling this problem. 

But wow my faith in humanity is restored. I mean this man didn’t have to spend half an hour of his Wednesday evening walking me through codes and boxes and cables and buttons over the phone for zero money, but he did it and he fixed the problem and I have never ever been so grateful to anybody in my life because this was pure goodness. This man is sure going to the good place. This man is a superhero. 

Oh god, this was a tough two hours. 

Archived