Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

Looking at some of the starting XIs in Premier League teams in recent games show exactly why the scheduling of fixtures around this year is wrong.

Think of the Stoke fans that travelled miles to watch their team play against Chelsea with their best players ‘rested’ because Hughes thought they’d have a better chance to win against Newcastle today, only to lose to Chelsea 5-0 and lose again today at home to Newcastle.

I’d say some managers are ripping it, and don’t actually need to rest as many players as they do, but when you have games within 48 hours of each other it’s pretty hard to play your best team consecutively.

This definitely has to have an effect on the quality of games in the Premier League. The counter to this argument is that these teams should have strong enough squads to cope, but the paying fans - whether it be people going to the games or subscribing on television - want to see the best players week in week out. 

It’s great having as many games on over the festive period, but if the quality of game is dropping because of fatigue or constant rotation, then I’d rather fewer games were scheduled at this time of the season, or at least a bit more time between some of the games for individual teams.

Messi-Lingard doesn't do tap ins.

The quality of the game was better than I was expecting. Nothing to speak of in the 1st half but at least it wasn't an exhibition of hoofball. We played much better in the 2nd half and deserved the win.

ETA. Matic probably had his worst game for United. I hope he is rested for the FA Cup game because he looked knackered.

Hey! We did try the hoofball thingy - hoofing for Oumar Niasse. 

Yeah. That’s a thing. Not a successfull one, mind, but that I think was clear beforehand. 

I do notice that Allardici has a short supply of goodwill from me, at least. Okay, he shored up our defence for some games. Well and good. Now, the shoring up is gone, and we still look toothless going forward. The more things change...

To be fair, Sam doesn’t have the most potent attacking weapons to call upon up front. Niasse is decent, but probably not the level of striker you want if you’re trying to push for top 7. DCL is a willing runner but is a little too young to shoulder the responsibility he’s had this season. I don’t think anyone has played more games in all competitions this season than him, which is staggering for a player so young.

What happens in January will determine where Everton’s season goes. I’ve seen a lot of rumours about Cenk Tosun heading to Everton (although some sources are saying Besiktas are now asking for more money). I haven’t seen much of him but he’s a bigger name than either of the two previously mentioned strikers Everton have available. The move up from Turkish League to Premier League is quite a jump, but he’s scored goals in the Champions League. Maybe if they had a better striker, they could change their style of play and create and finish more opportunities.

6 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

To be fair, Sam doesn’t have the most potent attacking weapons to call upon up front. Niasse is decent, but probably not the level of striker you want if you’re trying to push for top 7. DCL is a willing runner but is a little too young to shoulder the responsibility he’s had this season. I don’t think anyone has played more games in all competitions this season than him, which is staggering for a player so young.

What happens in January will determine where Everton’s season goes. I’ve seen a lot of rumours about Cenk Tosun heading to Everton (although some sources are saying Besiktas are now asking for more money). I haven’t seen much of him but he’s a bigger name than either of the two previously mentioned strikers Everton have available. The move up from Turkish League to Premier League is quite a jump, but he’s scored goals in the Champions League. Maybe if they had a better striker, they could change their style of play and create and finish more opportunities.

Oh, I know we don’t have the best attack atm, and I agree that resting DCL is smart. He has been running around solo for half a season, time to rest a bit.

However, when we do field Niasse as a lone striker, one thing should be apparent: you do not hoof. Niasse won’t win anything in the air, Vlasic on the right neither, Bolasie may (but why would you want him in the air?), Rooney may perhaps trouble someone through his physique.. but the point remains: with that attack, you play on the floor. Play hoofball, and all you accomplish is losing the ball. 

Pogba was excellent today as well. Mourinho should really consider playing more often with a midfield three. Our creative linchpin should not have such a defensive burden. Pogba was way too deep in the last two games - free him up and he will create good chances in every game.

20 hours ago, Mexal said:

As much as I love having football during this time, the scheduling around here is nuts. Really puts English teams at a disadvantage internationally and strongly favors teams with big, strong squads.

Doesn't everything strongly favour teams with big, strong squads?

On 2.1.2018 at 3:59 PM, baxus said:

Doesn't everything strongly favour teams with big, strong squads?

Knockout competitions with a single game. I'd argue they make squad depth less of an issue. Otherwise yes, any competition tends to favour the stroner squads.

Anyway, news on the Goretzka move. Bayern (Salihamidzic) has confirmed they are interested (surprise). Heynckes praised Goretzka the other day, too. Although, he won't be in charge next season. But on the same occasion, Heynckes denied that it's a done deal, and claimed the Spanish club are still in the running.

Gonna be a long month when it comes to the “Coutinho saga” starting to think he really might be off. If he is I hope we can get Lemar in this month to replace him. I’d be relatively happy even though he’d be a definite downgrade. Don’t think we could bring a player in to replace him that wouldn’t be though.

11 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Gonna be a long month when it comes to the “Coutinho saga” starting to think he really might be off. If he is I hope we can get Lemar in this month to replace him. I’d be relatively happy even though he’d be a definite downgrade. Don’t think we could bring a player in to replace him that wouldn’t be though.

A bit closer to home - what about Riyad Mahrez?

In a way, he is similar to Coutinho in that he can play wide and cut inside to unleash a brilliant strike, albeit on the opposite foot. He can also operate in the central hole behind the centre forward. Plus he comes with the added bonus that he is well adapted to the PL. 

The only issue with Mahrez I can think of would be that if he was to be played wide, it would be on the right hand side so that he can cut in onto his left. Currently, that’s the area Mo Salah occupies. But I’d guess he’d be a cheaper acquisition than Lemar would be.

15 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The only issue with Mahrez I can think of would be that if he was to be played wide, it would be on the right hand side so that he can cut in onto his left. Currently, that’s the area Mo Salah occupies. But I’d guess he’d be a cheaper acquisition than Lemar would be.

Yeah I’d take Mahrez but would prefer Lemar as he’s younger and can play on the left and in the midfield three. We will see what happens. Hope Liverpool can lock up a replacement before selling Coutinho if we do sell this month.

happy to see Diego score as well. I’ve missed watching that mad bastard.

29 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Coutinho seems to have made up his mind so there's no point hanging on to a player who would rather be elsewhere. While his performances thus far have been great, that could change if he doesn't get his 'dream' move. If Barca are serious about Coutinho then they need to stop fucking around and pay the asking price instead of lowballing by trying to include moronic add-ons. Goretzka would be a top replacement so Liverpool should use the windfall to make him an attractive offer. He would be a guaranteed starter for your lot as well whereas he'd face stiff competition at Bayern - that might be a deciding factor.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Coutinho seems to have made up his mind so there's no point hanging on to a player who would rather be elsewhere. While his performances thus far have been great, that could change if he doesn't get his 'dream' move.

Nothing's really changed since the summer except, since he's cup tied for Europe, there's not actually that much value in Barcelona getting him now rather than next summer. If the club have decided they've had enough they could come to an agreement for selling him in summer but I don't see the point of selling him now. It's not like they're under a lot of time pressure with the length of time left on his contract but Coutinho's still got a World Cup to worry about.

Archived