Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

Weirdest transfer rumour so far? Andy Carroll to Chelsea...

He may have scored a couple in the last game, and he is a pretty good plan B, but you only get a fit and in form Carroll for a handful of games a season. Plus, with him in the side, you have to play a certain way to get the best out of him.

We need another striker for sure, but Carroll certainly isn’t the answer. Though, surely he would have bagged one of Morata’s three missed sitters last night.

Someone at Chelsea must really think Michy Batshuayi isn’t worth a damn if these Carroll rumours are true.

5 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

He may have scored a couple in the last game, and he is a pretty good plan B, but you only get a fit and in form Carroll for a handful of games a season. Plus, with him in the side, you have to play a certain way to get the best out of him.

We need another striker for sure, but Carroll certainly isn’t the answer. Though, surely he would have bagged one of Morata’s three missed sitters last night.

Someone at Chelsea must really think Michy Batshuayi isn’t worth a damn if these Carroll rumours are true.

That would be one underwhelming signing. Just as underwhelming as the rumours about us being interested in the Brazilian Andros Townsend i.e. Lucas Moura.

Rumours also abound wrt Mkhi. Apparently Dortmund are very interested in re-signing him and Inter are interested as well although they are looking for a loan deal due to FFP.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

The hottest prospect in American soccer would be a commercial wet dream for Woodward.

This is why I'm genuinely quite baffled that we haven't dropped anything necessary on getting him. He's not just a good player, with the potential to be a really good player, and in pretty much exactly the role we need, but potentially the first global football star from the US. He seems like the perfect player for the current model of the club.

He's not represented by whathischops though is he.

Oh by the way, that Moyes guy, he looks to have a future...

Liverpool chased Pulisic hard in the last two transfer windows, and that’s with the benefit of Klopp’s Dortmund connection.  I thought the player himself decided to stay at Dortmund to continue playing and developing there rather than risk getting derailed by a move to a bigger club in a new league where his momentum might stall. 

57 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of people at Chelsea don't think Michy is worth a damn. Didn't Conte put Willian in for Morata when he went down against City? The only time you see him come in anymore is during a League Cup match (besides CL against Atleti, will give credit there). Michy can capitalize on a free ball 5 feet in front of the net but that's about all he's good for.  Can't say much more about Morata right now, though.

46 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool chased Pulisic hard in the last two transfer windows, and that’s with the benefit of Klopp’s Dortmund connection.  I thought the player himself decided to stay at Dortmund to continue playing and developing there rather than risk getting derailed by a move to a bigger club in a new league where his momentum might stall

If this is the case, that is wise of Pulisic, or whomever may be advising him.  There's little to gain sitting on the bench waiting for his turn in the PL, but much to gain playing a lot for a good Bundesliga side.  Heck, maybe he prefers to stay in Germany.  Has he stated a preference for his future ambitions?

As an American, it's nice to see Pulisic basically ignoring any hype and concentrating on the trajectory that seems to be working out so well. If he's patient and continues that improvement, he'll be able to punch his ticket to a starting spot at a bigger club.  And he'll only be 20 or 21 years old.

10 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of people at Chelsea don't think Michy is worth a damn. Didn't Conte put Willian in for Morata when he went down against City? The only time you see him come in anymore is during a League Cup match (besides CL against Atleti, will give credit there). Michy can capitalize on a free ball 5 feet in front of the net but that's about all he's good for.  Can't say much more about Morata right now, though.

Obviously the coaches are seeing a lot more of Batshuayi than the fans are, but I really don't understand how they can think he is that bad that he can't replace Morata when he's injured or late in a game. Anytime he has come on, he has hardly let the side down. In fact, his minutes per goal ratio is pretty good (I know we have to take into account that a lot of those goals came in the league cup or when he's come off the bench late in the Premier League/Champions League).

The problem is that with the money we spent on Morata, we aren't going to spend that kind of money on a second striker to challenge him, like Aubameyang, Bellotti, Cavani etc. The other striker we would be signing would either be an older experienced striker to be a plan B - Llorente fitted that billing in the summer, and now it's Carroll's name being mentioned - or a younger, more inexperienced striker, ready to make the leap to the Premier League, which is exactly what Batshuayi was when we signed him. I don't think we can even say Batshuayi has been a flop, as he has been decent, but just hasn't been given a chance.

At practically every opportunity Conte gets, he bemoans the lack of input he has in signings. In fact, after the game the other night, he told Italian reporters that he always seems to end up at clubs where he doesn't have much say in the transfers and clubs that run an 'austerity programme'. Batshuayi was not a Conte signing; to me, that was clearly an Emelano purchase. It would not surprise me at all if Conte's constant refusal to play Batshuayi was to make a point to the board that their signings aren't of good enough quality.

His constant moaning about the transfer system at Chelsea is tiresome, too. It reminds me of the situation with Alexis and Ozil. Prior to Ozil signing for Arsenal, they hadn't won the league in nine years and hadn't won a trophy of any kind in eight. They hadn't reached a semi final in the Champions League in years and consistently got knocked out in the R16. When Sanchez arrived a year later, they had only just won their first trophy in nine seasons, the FA cup. Looking at recent history before either signed, it was clear Arsenal weren't competing to win the Champions League, and were almost as far away from winning the Premier League. So, now, when they seem to want to move because the team isn't competing for or winning big enough trophies, it makes you wonder if they knew anything at all about Arsenal before they signed, as the situation was the same back then.

Everyone who knows anything about Chelsea in the Abramovich era knows managers don't last longer than three seasons, and for that reason, the board and the former Technical Director Michael Emenalo were primarily behind the recruitment of players. The manager gives his opinion and sometimes gets what he wants, but in general, he's more of a head coach who has players given to him and also has players taken from him without much of a say i.e. Batshuayi and Matic. Conte quit Juve because they wouldn't sign the players he wanted. Why come to a club that has the exact same problems that Juve had? Surely he must have known what he was signing up for.

In other news, Paul Joyce is reporting that Ross Barkley may have a medical at Chelsea today. Well, we all know what happened the last time he came for medical at Chelsea...

5 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Sources close to Jean Michael Seri have told Sky Sports that Everton are one of the sides interested in signing him. That would be quite a coup if they could pull it off, considering Barcelona were close to signing him in the summer before pulling out.

I wish Arsenal would get Seri.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I wish Arsenal would get Seri.

I thought Arsenal would be crying out for a player like Seri, tbh.

Ross Barkley is a Chelsea player. I have never been his biggest fan but his talent is clearly there. But considering people were talking about him being worth £50m a few years ago, getting him for £15m is a real bargain, even with him being in the final six months of his contract.

I can’t see him playing too often this season, given his long injury lay off; he’d probably be lucky to play 15 games in all competitions. I’d say if he’s going to flourish for Chelsea, it won’t be this season, but at 24, he has plenty of years to show his best.

Archived