Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

Another defeat for Real Madrid. Zidane has been very successful but he is on thin ice now at a club not known for being patient with managers. Pretty embarrassing situation that Real find themselves in - a side that seemed poised to dominate are now in shambles. Zidane doesn't seem to have any answers and looks to be tactically inept.

Wonder who they would go with to replace Zidane. I think they would be best off keeping him as their requirements are so niche - someone with enough political capital to make moderately pragmatic moves like playing a holding midfielder, moderately tactically competent but without any desire to introduce tactical ideas of their own. With Ronaldo coming towards the end of his career, anyone of lesser stature than Zidane will find managing the transition impossible.

Real Madrid would be right up Antonio Conte’s street. A club well known for giving the manager next to no say in club affairs such as signings. He’d sign up oblivious to this fact, just as he was when he came to Chelsea - a club run much the same way as Real Madrid - then complain about the austerity programme the club runs at every opportunity.

I think Conte might be heading to PSG. Just get the feeling that PSG feel they can do better than Emery with a manager who is more of a household name. If PSG don't win the CL then I think Emery is out and Conte would be very happy to walk away from Chelsea.

I suspect that Pochettino would be near the top of the list should Zidane get the sack. I think Zidane is much more a motivator than tactician. Now that his motivation isn't working, he looks clueless. Very often he waits too long before making substitutions and then subs off the wrong players. He persists with his 4-2-3-1 when Real Madrid have looked much better when they've played a 4-3-3 and his attacking approach is nothing more than 'go wide and lump in a cross'.

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Real Madrid failing to make the champions league next year would make this whole season worthwhile. 

I like how you think. 

my kitchen is mostly Hispanic with a equal number of barca and Madrid fans. 

it would be interesting to see how things at work shape up under such a ominous event of Madrid winning nothing and not in the cl.

1 minute ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I like how you think. 

my kitchen is mostly Hispanic with a equal number of barca and Madrid fans. 

it would be interesting to see how things at work shape up under such a ominous event of Madrid winning nothing and not in the cl.

I have to take my pleasures where I can get them. We can't even beat Swansea at home. 

I saw the highlights from Spurs vs Everton.  Son has really become a key player for Spurs in the past two years and lately he is often a catalyst when his team looks sluggish.  At first I thought his form in the early part of last season would be unsustainable because it was so far ahead of his prior form, but instead he has managed to sustain a whole new level of play.

The commentators were so busy orgasming over Kane’s latest record (his first goal) that they made zero mention that it looked offside in the replay.  I think Spurs always get a soft ride from the referees.  Refs can no more disallow a Kane goal than show a red card to Kane or Alli for horror-show tackles.

Everton’s new manager bounce didn’t last long.  Winless in six, I think.  And two of their wins in their big recovery were under Unsworth before Sam took charge.  They need to hope there new striker hits the ground running.  And once again I have to ask why anyone thought Rooney was worth a transfer fee and a big contract.  He chipped in with some goals amid dreadful play, but any striker they spent that money on instead should have contributed more by now, and wouldn’t be tailing off sharply now either. 

Cenk Tosun looked okay. Even in a game where we looked like the end-Koeman-early-Rhino-Everton, he worked hard, won some balls, played a couple of good passes, showed he can hold up play and even got his head to a couple of crosses. Think he’ll be okay.

Big problem with Rooney, as I’ve mentioned before, is that he occupies a place in the team where we have other players available. Him playing at number 10 moves Sigurdsson out on the wing - and that doesn’t work. I know Rooney is our Lost Golden Boy and whatnot, but he doesn’t have the quality to defend playing Sigurdsson on the wing. 

Also, could we please be linked with a left back soon? Like, yesterday? Martina does his best, bless him, but ... well ... 

His best just isn’t good enough. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Bad news for Liverpool. VVD set to miss today's game due to injury. Don't know if it's 100% confirmed as the article mentions that he has a tight hamstring and is unlikely to be risked. Maybe Klopp keeps him on the bench just in case.

And Keita officially staying put at Leipzig till summer. Guess they aren’t stupid enough to let one of their best players leave in January. Bad bits of news to start the day for Liverpool. 

Archived