Football: “WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT”?

AncalagonTheBlack

6 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

wow is arsenal a mess. life after Sanchez is going to be very hard for them. this is a team that may well get frozen out of even the Europa league. 

arsene is done. the players don't have any faith in him. this has got to be his final season in charge. 

Life with Sanchez has been a mess. His form has been as bad as everyone else’s. This team just sucks. They’re too slow with the ball, too wasteful. When you have a 70% pass rate, without the worst turnover player in the league against a bottom 5 team, you have issues.

Only plus has been Wilshere.

Liverpool were the better side in that half but once again they concede a soft goal from a defensive blunder and dodgy goal keeping. Really poor from Gomez to sell himself like that and Karius should be saving that. All their good work undone yet again by gifting the opposition a goal.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Klopp has given Karius the job looks like. Hope he go on a good run

Nope, he does not.

Oxlade has a superb half, despite a lack of pace from his team. While Liverpool are aggressive on the ball, they don't look so willingful to create things, especially Mané and Salah who often pass the ball back, so far.

Sané did a good work, but give a top keeper to Liverpool and mostly a brain to Gomez, and that goal would never have happened.

5 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Oxlade has a superb half, despite a lack of pace from his team. While Liverpool are aggressive on the ball, they don't look so willingful to create things, especially Mané and Salah who often pass the ball back, so far.

Not surprising. Coutinho was their creative outlet. It's not really Mane or Salah's game to drop deep and create. I think Liverpool could have had another goal or two had Coutinho still been around. They created a few good situations in that 1st half where I thought Coutinho would have executed a pass/cross/shot of much higher quality.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

City look by far the more dangerous team in the second half so far. Hopefully we bring Lallana on for Wijnaldum before too long. 

I’ve paid extra close attention to Wijnaldum today due to some of your comments about him. I can see why he infuriates you so much.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is having a really good game, though. He’s looking confident and positive when he’s on the ball.

Another class goal.

Liverpool have blown City away. I've said this before: Liverpool are the team most capable of beating City due to their system in addition to Salah and Mane on the flanks where their pace can exploit City's weakness. The counter-pressing of Liverpool and City are the best in the league by a fair margin. City have not been given anywhere near the amount of time on the ball like they are used to. Every other team just parks 9 or 10 men behind the ball and let City do whatever they want.

I was all ready to brag about how we limited them to a single goal despite missing VVD, having a bad keeper, and four of our back five are back-ups.  But that fell apart, didn’t it. 

Glad we hung on.  We used so much energy to pull ahead that I wasn’t surprised at all we flagged late on, but that City team is dangerous until the last second.

I actually hope that City's upcoming opponents are going to use what they saw today. Klopp has shown the way to us all. It's all about pressing City's defenders -who are not as skilled with the ball that we could believe, especially Otamendi, Stones and Delph. Of course, the issue is that if you take the risk to press with your attacking players, should City manage to get out of the press then it leaves you vulnerable on the midfield.

So, the key is to press their centre-backs and as the same time, keep KDB marked. 

The bottom line is that while Man Utd could totally have played this way and give City a hard time at OT, we found ourselves sitting back 20m far from our net, and... playing hoofball. u_u

First most teams lack Liverpool's offensive power. Even if teams likesay Stoke or Newcastle tried emulate Liverpool, they still wouldn't have their forward line. Of course Spurs and United could take that approach, but Mourinho using an offensive line up against a top six team...

Secondly a bit more happened in that game. The second goal for Liverpool was real kick in the teeth for City. They conceded the second just when they looked like they were about to take control of the game. That was real heavy hit for them, and whle they were still reeling they produced some horrible errors which Liverpool punished.

39 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

I actually hope that City's upcoming opponents are going to use what they saw today. Klopp has shown the way to us all. It's all about pressing City's defenders -who are not as skilled with the ball that we could believe, especially Otamendi, Stones and Delph. Of course, the issue is that if you take the risk to press with your attacking players, should City manage to get out of the press then it leaves you vulnerable on the midfield.

So, the key is to press their centre-backs and as the same time, keep KDB marked. 

The bottom line is that while Man Utd could totally have played this way and give City a hard time at OT, we found ourselves sitting back 20m far from our net, and... playing hoofball. u_u

The problem is that an effective counter press is not something that can be done on the fly; it takes a lot of practice and work on the training field to do it effectively otherwise you will end up with players chasing the ball like headless chickens and running themselves into the ground. Liverpool together with City are the best in the league at it by a fair distance but that was not achieved overnight. Even the Liverpool players looked fatigued towards the end, lost concentration and nearly fucked up a 4-1 lead.

Yes, other top 6 sides should take note of this and work harder on winning the ball high up the pitch but it is not likely that they will be able to implement an effective enough press to trouble City this season. The only other top 6 side that I could see causing City problems with an aggressive high press is Spurs. It's a bit too much to ask for mid to bottom of the table teams to play this way.

Archived